Oosterdam - Tracy Arm

sail7seas

In 2006 I was on a small expedition-style ship that went from Juneau to Tracy Arm. We encountered the Volendam but went much closer to the Sawyer Glacier than the HAL ship could manage. The excursion leaves too early on the AM for any cruise ship passengers that arrive in Juneau. The icebergs were spectacular.

Mary Ann

Great pictures.

Thank you for sharing them.

Sail, I will scan the menus of the Oosterdam and upload when I return. Tonight, was the first night of a new program, a single large menu with four International regional offerings, inclusing the appetizers and desserts. It was one of the best dinners we've ever had in the MDR. Canaletto is now $10 and includes a glass of wine. We don't go there often.

Ken

Sounds wonderful.

Hope we get some new items on our Alaskan cruise.

In 2006 I was on a small expedition-style ship that went from Juneau to Tracy Arm. We encountered the Volendam but went much closer to the Sawyer Glacier than the HAL ship could manage. The excursion leaves too early on the AM for any cruise ship passengers that arrive in Juneau. The icebergs were spectacular.

Mary Ann

I did the same thing and it was really amazing.

I think Zuiderdam is the only ship that has the Itinerary where you get off the ship in Tracy Arm onto a smaller boat and then meet up with the ship later in the day in Juneau.

Yes and they will be doing it again starting on the voyage that left yesterday. Oddly they just do not do it the first voyage of the year. Never did find out why our itinerary stated we would go to Tracy Arm and we did not. Many we spoke to all stated that their itinerary stated we were going there.

Is it possible there was too much ice to keep it from being safe?

Maybe but actually because it is still so cold even at Glacier Bay we saw far less ice than ever before because there is not as much calving yet. It is not till it get warmed up a bit where the ice starts to calve more. Also not sure what the difference could make with one week. Oh well not a big deal since we did have an amazing day at Glacier Bay with really perfect weather and hardly a cloud in the sky. Every Officer and Ranger on board agreed that it could not have been better.

Brrr. that sounds Really chilly!!!! :D

It's VERY cold and some people did not come prepared. I had some gloves that someone asked to borrow to pick up a chunk of ice. After that, they were soaked and totally useless to me.

The only time I went to Tracey Arm was in Seot. 2009. There were very high winds so Sitka was cancelled and we went to TA instead. It was an amazing experience. If I go to Alaska again, I would like to go there again. Misty Fjord, Hubbard, Glacier Bay, are also, very nice. Enjoy your cruise!

I was on the Amsterdam in Sept 2008 and they had busses that took us from the ship to downtown and back. Many shops were open because of the ship. It was fun even though I live near Seattle and have been to Victoria many times.

I was on the Amsterdam in Sept 2008 and they had busses that took us from the ship to downtown and back. Many shops were open because of the ship. It was fun even though I live near Seattle and have been to Victoria many times.

Last year when we did the Amsterdam cruise -- there was buses going back and forth in Victoria -- not free. The price was $7.50 per person. It was an all day pass.

Archived