Thinking of booking Wonder in October

Tangoqueen

We have only cruised twice before and both quite traditional cruises on P & O. We are considering booking a Disney cruise on the Wonder in October as our daughter will be working on board and we would love to come over to he USA and see her. We are two 50 year old Brits and although the trip will be primarily to see our daughter we wonder what to expect for adults on board. Obviously she can tell us about the ship but would like to hear about the passenger experience. Any comments or thoughts welcome. Many thanks x

This October the Wonder has a 7-day Pacific Coastal, a 7-day Mexican Riviera and a 14-day Hawaii. Which one are you planning to do?

It's most likely to be the Mexican Riviera due to work commitments, would have loved to do Hawaii!

We did the MR in Oct and Dec last year.

Personally, I'm not too crazy about Mexico. We took the cruises for the cruise experience. That said, we did do a few excursions (through DCL) that we enjoyed.

In Oct the weather was quite hot in Mexico, in Cabo it was 98 degrees and at least 98 percent humidity. I enjoy warm weather, but this was a little too much.

:)

Hi Tangoqueen - we are two 50(ish) yr olds, celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary on October 16th, and will be sailing on the Oct 14th cruise to Hawaii (returning to the places we Honeymooned on a Disney ship - can it get any better than that?! ;o) )

I'd be happy to be sure to search out your daughter and say hello for you - Message me if you would like me to contact her while on board!

Good luck - I hope your travel plans work out for you!

Sherri

We have only cruised twice before and both quite traditional cruises on P & O. We are considering booking a Disney cruise on the Wonder in October as our daughter will be working on board and we would love to come over to he USA and see her. We are two 50 year old Brits and although the trip will be primarily to see our daughter we wonder what to expect for adults on board. Obviously she can tell us about the ship but would like to hear about the passenger experience. Any comments or thoughts welcome. Many thanks x

There are things that you can do as adults that you will enjoy.

1) dinner at Palo. Must do.

2) consider a spa treatment like the couples massage.

3) shows are good for all ages. There is an adult show as well but it is still not more than a PG rating.

4) the wavebands, Cadillac lounge clubs are adults only in the evenings. Those shows are more like PG-13 material.

5) do the art of the ship tour. Kids can come but it is mostly adults as it doesn't really appeal to kids.

6) there are activities on board such as bingo, "tastings" (beer, wine, mojito), trivia, scrap booking, etc. what is offered when and on what days is in the navigator. Pay close attention. Some allow kids, others don't and others are kids only.

7) if you are a movie buff, there is a movie theater showing different movies throughout the day and night. Some are first release.

There is enough for most people but not as much as my wife and I had seen on other lines. We really felt like the ship was nice but catered more to families than couples. It also felt like the ship was pretty well closed down by about 10, with the exception of the three clubs and the movie theater. We sailed Alaska though where it did get a bit too chilly to be sitting out on deck well after dark. I suppose it might be different on a warmer climate cruise such as you are planning.

I hate to be nosy but I am curious. Since your daughter is working for them, does Disney give you some kind of a discount?

Even if Disney would give discounts on DCL to CMs, I doubt that they would be able to discuss it.

:)

I hate to be nosy but I am curious. Since your daughter is working for them, does Disney give you some kind of a discount?

Discounts are available to CM as long as the CM makes the booking and is the primary payer for the stateroom. They must also be a paid guest staying in that stateroom. This as it was explained to me by a CM.

Discounts are available to CM as long as the CM makes the booking and is the primary payer for the stateroom. They must also be a paid guest staying in that stateroom. This as it was explained to me by a CM.

That seems to jive with what I was told by an NCL staffer on POA. She was saying that when she got her vacation, her family wanted to join her in Hawaii. But after sailing there for X months, she wanted to go somewhere else.. :p

Hi Tangoqueen - we are two 50(ish) yr olds, celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary on October 16th, and will be sailing on the Oct 14th cruise to Hawaii (returning to the places we Honeymooned on a Disney ship - can it get any better than that?! ;o) )

I'd be happy to be sure to search out your daughter and say hello for you - Message me if you would like me to contact her while on board!

Good luck - I hope your travel plans work out for you!

Sherri

Thanks sherri that's very kind of you. Congratulations on your Pearl Anniversary, I am sure you will have a wonderful trip to Hawaii. I will let you know nearer the time re message. Many thanks

Not sure if any discounts will be available for later in the year. As we will need to pre book flights shortly as flying from the uk any savings may be lost in air price increases if we wait for last minute savings on the cruise.

Archived