Rental car or Train for Whitepass?

annabanana

Hi everyone! First time cruiser here and just found these boards and am addicted! So informative!

Wanted to know what you recommend and why, are there different scenery for car vs. train?

TIA! and happy cruising to all!

I loved the train. The drive is nice too, but the train trip is pretty special. Very historical, great views on a clear day. Makes you really appreciate what the early miners went thru.

Hi everyone! First time cruiser here and just found these boards and am addicted! So informative!

Wanted to know what you recommend and why, are there different scenery for car vs. train?

TIA! and happy cruising to all!

Hi-

I have never taken the train--I have heard some wonderful things about it though. I have, however, driven and can tell you that the drive is certainly very scenic, and I believe you can go quite a bit further east if you drive as opposed to taking the train. So that might be one factor to consider. I am sure you will enjoy either one though.

I've done both, and enjoyed both. No wrong answer here. Narration on the train is a plus, and there is time for hiking after (good trailheads right by the dock).

If you drive, there is a paper that will tell you mile marker by mile marker where the interesting views etc. are. Can't remember what it was called.

Stopped at the Cinnamon Cache for Buns, went to the Annie Lake free Golf Course (dirt greens, its a hoot) Stopped at Emerald Lake, Took the required photos with the Multi-colored Welcome to the Yukon Sign. Didn't quite have time to get to Whitehorse, but Carcross and back was no problem. Seems like it took us 6 or 7 hours RT, but we stopped a lot. We used the Avis in the hotel in Skagway--2nd and Spring as I recall.

Still had time for shopping in Skagway either way. Sent back gifts from Original German Christmas http://www.lightning-glass.com/---big hits with both moms (mine and my wife's).

I too have done both- several times. The train is just excellent. :) Superior for history, scenery and engineering. Really really good if any of those are an interest. :) The train isn't for everyone- so the Klondike Highway drive is a wonderful day.

If we do the drive to Emerald Lake will our grandchildren need picture id's to return? I know my wife and I will, we have passports, but the kids only have birth certificates at this time. Also, I still haven't recieved a real good answer about how much time to allow for the trip and return.

Thanks

If we do the drive to Emerald Lake will our grandchildren need picture id's to return? I know my wife and I will, we have passports, but the kids only have birth certificates at this time. Also, I still haven't recieved a real good answer about how much time to allow for the trip and return.

Thanks

I can't answer the question about the photo ID's. However, I can answer the other question. The trip to Emerald Lake is less than 150 miles roundtrip. It is a good road and an easy drive. How long it takes you depends on how many times you stop. There are many photo ops along the way and I am sure that you will want to stop many times to take pictures and enjoy the views. You will also want to see the town of Carcross and visit the visitor center and shops there. You also will want to eat lunch somewhere (we plan to go to the Cinnamon Cache just past Carcross). Plan on making a day of it. We are expecting to spend 5-6 hours on the trip - maybe more if it is a particularly nice day.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise on the Coral. We rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake. The day was perfect in every way. Not a drop of rain and the sky was a perfect blue with puffy white clouds. It was just cool enough that the car didn't warm up too much. We had a wonderful day. We were first in line to rent our car at 8 AM and were on the road shortly there after. We took our time and stopped at almost every overlook on the way. (Be aware, there is nowhere for a rest stop until Carcross except for a primitive rest area at the Summit.) We ate lunch at the Cinnamon Cache and met Bobo and Gail. It was an interesting place and it was fun meeting them. The cinnamon rolls are good too. We made it back to Skagway at about 3 PM so you can see that we took our time on the drive. It was an easy drive over a mostly good road. There was some construction going on but it didn't create a problem. It just slowed us down for a few miles because the road was gravel. We still had plenty of time to shop and see Skagway when we got back. We even stopped at an overlook with great views of the town. I highly recommend the rental car route.

for me the train rates a "C-" or "C" :rolleyes:,as a fun time! consider option 3 take a land excursion in to the interior. there is good selection of excursions with good narrations great scenry cool prices. the down side is you giveup some of the freedom of having your own car. the up side is you get to hear about what you are looking at, you can have your questions answered, and some one else can worry about driving in the mountains. we went to emerald lake with alocal company called southeast tours (had a great time) look over their website maybe option 3 is for you.;)

Archived