Grand Cayman Disembarking Question

dave_k63

Sorry for a dumb question. We have never been to Grand Cayman. I know it's a tendering port - and we arrive at 7am on the Conquest. If we book a stingray city and snorkeling excursion with Captain Marvin's that is supposed to leave at 8:30 - would we be disembarked in time to make it? I know at other tendering ports we have been to, it was sometimes a long process, and the people who had booked through the ship got off first. Not sure if this is still the case. Captain Marvin's is about $100 cheaper for the four of us. Thanks, anyone for any information.

I just got off the Legend on 4/15 and for us once we arrived and were cleared in Grand Cayman they started making announcements for those with shore excursions to head to the main lounge. The people with Carnival excursion were let off in groups first and then those booked through private companies next. You should be fine.

Also Grand Cayman might be an hour off the the ship time so that should give you plenty of time. Have fun!

Not a dumb question at all. I will also be going to Grand Caymen for the first time on the Conquest and was wondering how the tender process went for past quest...I did see a few people that was happy with the process and a few that said it took a long time to get off the ship.

I just got off the Legend on 4/15 and for us once we arrived and were cleared in Grand Cayman they started making announcements for those with shore excursions to head to the main lounge. The people with Carnival excursion were let off in groups first and then those booked through private companies next. You should be fine.

Also Grand Cayman might be an hour off the the ship time so that should give you plenty of time. Have fun!

Thanks Mel - I guess I will go ahead and book the excursion. Appreciate your help. I didn't know about the time difference either.

Not a dumb question at all. I will also be going to Grand Caymen for the first time on the Conquest and was wondering how the tender process went for past quest...I did see a few people that was happy with the process and a few that said it took a long time to get off the ship.

Thanks, Gregg - I know in Progresso it was a very long process getting to the tenders if you didn't book through the ship. I think I'll go ahead and book anyway, because I heard there is a time difference that gives us an extra hour in Grand Cayman.

We tendered at Grand Cayman two weeks ago on our Freedom cruise. They had lots of tender boats and it was fine. I wasn't aware of the time difference so my husband and I ended up being an hour early for our privately-booked excursion. We were directed to a coffee shop called Del Sol which has free wi-fi. Since I had been deprived of a proper internet connection :eek:I quite enjoyed the wait!

We tendered at Grand Cayman two weeks ago on our Freedom cruise. They had lots of tender boats and it was fine. I wasn't aware of the time difference so my husband and I ended up being an hour early for our privately-booked excursion. We were directed to a coffee shop called Del Sol which has free wi-fi. Since I had been deprived of a proper internet connection :eek:I quite enjoyed the wait!

Thank you Ms. Sunburn. I will be needing that wi-fi too. I've heard the internet is slow as molasses on board the ships, and I do need to check my email ( and bank stuff). Appreciate your information.

We were on the Liberty 3 weeks ago, each tender can hold a lot of people. We booked with Native Way and they were there holding the sign for us.

I think each ship have different tender process, but I think you will be fine.

The Conquest was in Grand Cayman while we were there too.

Sorry for a dumb question. We have never been to Grand Cayman. I know it's a tendering port - and we arrive at 7am on the Conquest. If we book a stingray city and snorkeling excursion with Captain Marvin's that is supposed to leave at 8:30 - would we be disembarked in time to make it? I know at other tendering ports we have been to, it was sometimes a long process, and the people who had booked through the ship got off first. Not sure if this is still the case. Captain Marvin's is about $100 cheaper for the four of us. Thanks, anyone for any information.

I did this once in Belize and went to the purser's desk the night before and told them the situation. They told me to go to the theater early and tell them I needed to get off early. We had no problems.

Thank you Ms. Sunburn. I will be needing that wi-fi too. I've heard the internet is slow as molasses on board the ships, and I do need to check my email ( and bank stuff). Appreciate your information.

Are you aware of the risks checking your bank accounts on public wi-fi?

We were in Gr cay aboard the legend in Dec,2011. There were 8 other ships in port I think, even with that we made it to shore pretty quickly. We did more waiting for our tour than to get off ship. It is a very short tender ride, not like Belize which is much longer. Your tour operator knows the process & will wait for you. Just go to the meet up place early & you should be fine.

You will be fine getting off the ship in time. I would be more worried about getting back on the ship!

It can take forever and most of your waiting will be out in the sun on the hot cement!

There doesn't seem to be a good time to go back to the ship unless you want to cut your stay in GC short.

So just prepare, have water and hat or umbrella.

Archived