Radiance To Alaska May 4th - Good or Bad Weather & Idea?

Noticed that the Radiance is cruising to Alaska on May 4th thru to the 11th...

I am considering another Alaskan cruise in 2013 (have usually gone in June & the summer months) but when I saw this wondered if worth a try but am concerned re: weather..even though the trip is a bit cheaper than later in 2013..

This years weather predictions look awful with rain & cold weather the whole Radiance trip (May 4 to 11) and that likely means cruisers won't even be able to see the glacier which is usually the highlite of an Alaskan trip and with paying a bonus to go to Alaska it seems like not a good idea..

I know the weather can be unpredicable anytime but going this early in the year almost seems like guaranteeing poor weather..& this year does confirm that (& former yrs seem to be just about the same)!

How have your experiences been and wld you fork out larger sums than normal (compared to cruising to other places) to go to Alaska this early in May or is it better to wait & pay a bit more but to almost guarantee also seeing something, till later in the year like June/July or August, in your opinion..?

Many thanks for any experiences shared! :-)

Noticed that the Radiance is cruising to Alaska on May 4th thru to the 11th...

I am considering another Alaskan cruise in 2013 (have usually gone in June & the summer months) but when I saw this wondered if worth a try but am concerned re: weather..even though the trip is a bit cheaper than later in 2013..

This years weather predictions look awful with rain & cold weather the whole Radiance trip (May 4 to 11) and that likely means cruisers won't even be able to see the glacier which is usually the highlite of an Alaskan trip and with paying a bonus to go to Alaska it seems like not a good idea..

I know the weather can be unpredicable anytime but going this early in the year almost seems like guaranteeing poor weather..& this year does confirm that (& former yrs seem to be just about the same)!

How have your experiences been and wld you fork out larger sums than normal (compared to cruising to other places) to go to Alaska this early in May or is it better to wait & pay a bit more but to almost guarantee also seeing something, till later in the year like June/July or August, in your opinion..?

Many thanks for any experiences shared! :-)

Yesterday Radiance was pricing out $449 for an interior cabin June 15, so if budget is your driving force you could look into that.

The weather gets better the later in the year you go. We have been twice the first week in June both times and had spectacular weather both times.

May and September are usually the iffy weather months, so if you're concerned I'd just go the other months.

We cruised Alaska a few years ago in May. It was the first cruise of the season. The weather was fantastic, it didn't rain the whole week and there were times in port when I wished I had shorts on instead of long pants. The big disappointment was not being able to see the glacier. the fog was so thick you couldn't see a thing. You could hear the crashing but you couldn't see anything. I think this had more to do with the early morning hour than the time of year. The fog started to clear just as we were leaving. Overall the weather was great.

Were doing the Radiance next week It is suppose to be raining and in the 40's half the week. Prices were 749pp E2 balcony and 1049ppJS

Never can be sure about Alaska weather..however we cruised in mid May 2009 and had great weather..amazing upclose views of Hubbard Glacier (thanks Cpt. Selveg) and aren't hesitating with our booking May 2013.

Archived