Flight prices - ridiculous!!

Wen we booked our cruise last June the flights weren't available but we were given an approx price of £600 GBP per person. This was based on an increase of 10% each year.

When we spoke to the TA on Friday the actual price was £960 GBP per person.

To say I was upset is an understatement - I accept that fuel prices and tax have risen but this increase is absolutely ridiculous, and I wasn't sure we could afford the extra as it wasn't budgeted for!

The TA is ringing RCCL to see why it has increased so much, and to see what they can do- such as offering a group discount as there are 11 of us. Having to tell our parents & brothers that its going to cost £720 per couple extra was hard and we thought it would be a deal breaker for my 2 brothers and their partners who are yet to book!!

Has anyone else had this experience with flights? x

Wow - that's a significant increase!

We're not at that stage yet where we're booking flights, but this is something that I'm worried about due to rising fuel costs. Sounds like you're booking your flights directly through RCCL. If that's the case, is it an option for you and your group to book your flights on your own or through your TA instead of letting RCCL handle them?

I've found that the flight prices that cruise lines quote are far more expensive than booking on my own.

Wow - that's a significant increase!

We're not at that stage yet where we're booking flights, but this is something that I'm worried about due to rising fuel costs. Sounds like you're booking your flights directly through RCCL. If that's the case, is it an option for you and your group to book your flights on your own or through your TA instead of letting RCCL handle them?

I've found that the flight prices that cruise lines quote are far more expensive than booking on my own.

Well there's 2 options - either go through the BA flight RCCL recommended which flys out the day before and includes a hotel stay & all transfers - this is £960pp.

Or book our own flights (the same flight with BA is over £700 to start with) adding on the hotel and all the transfers would probably cost around the same anyway!

BA are the only ones with flights available from Manchester to Baltimore as yet. The TA seems to think other airlines will follow suit with the prices though as BA have set the standard.

One other annoying thing- this isnt even a chartered flight for our cruise!! Other cruises we've been on had a charterd flight, so everyone on the flight was going on the cruise. RCCL have obviously just bought seats on flights from different airports which arrive in time for the cruise.

Well there's 2 options - either go through the BA flight RCCL recommended which flys out the day before and includes a hotel stay & all transfers - this is £960pp.

Or book our own flights (the same flight with BA is over £700 to start with) adding on the hotel and all the transfers would probably cost around the same anyway!

BA are the only ones with flights available from Manchester to Baltimore as yet. The TA seems to think other airlines will follow suit with the prices though as BA have set the standard.

I think your TA is giving you incorrect advice. Right now, if you look at these flights on BA, I find the total charge booking through them directly is only £685.20 .

No other airline has their schedule for your dates open yet, but they should by a week or two. And, purchasing tickets right when the schedule opens is not always the best way to go. I did a quick search for dates in March 2013(& yes, the prices could be totally different in April 2013) and found MAN-BWI the price on UA is £589.25 RT.

You may want to use this site to search for airfare on your own:

http://www.http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Also use IAD (Dulles airport) as your arrival airport in the US as it's very close to BWI.

I think you are getting quoted a very high price. I'd never book air through the cruiseline. The cost of transfers and hotel is much, much higher then booking it yourself. Suggest you go to the cruise air forum here and read this sticky at the top of the page that explains cruise air so you have a better understanding how it works.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

You have time to research this. April is a long time away. Think about it before you overpay. And PLEASE book to arrive the night before. It is absolutely crazy to book a TATL to arrive the same day your cruise leaves.

I think your TA is giving you incorrect advice. Right now, if you look at these flights on BA, I find the total charge booking through them directly is only £685.20 .

No other airline has their schedule for your dates open yet, but they should by a week or two. And, purchasing tickets right when the schedule opens is not always the best way to go. I did a quick search for dates in March 2013(& yes, the prices could be totally different in April 2013) and found MAN-BWI the price on UA is £589.25 RT.

You may want to use this site to search for airfare on your own:

http://www.http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Also use IAD (Dulles airport) as your arrival airport in the US as it's very close to BWI.

I think you are getting quoted a very high price. I'd never book air through the cruiseline. The cost of transfers and hotel is much, much higher then booking it yourself. Suggest you go to the cruise air forum here and read this sticky at the top of the page that explains cruise air so you have a better understanding how it works.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

You have time to research this. April is a long time away. Think about it before you overpay. And PLEASE book to arrive the night before. It is absolutely crazy to book a TATL to arrive the same day your cruise leaves.

Thank you for the advice. The TA is contacting RCCL to see if there's any discounts available and are also looking into alternative flights for us, and suggested we do the same. They havent forced us into accepting the RCCL flights and gave us a few websites to try. She did say more airlines will be available soon, but couldnt guarantee that it would be cheaper, which is fair enough! xx

Do consider flying into Dulles airport (IAD). Ground transportation will cost a bit, but it may be worth the savings. It's only an hour to Baltimore and you'll like be able to arrange some ground transportation at a reduced cost for your big group.

Are there cheaper options if you don't fly non-stop? I know it's more difficult and more risky, but if the cost savings is enough, it might be worth the inconvenience.

Do consider flying into Dulles airport (IAD). Ground transportation will cost a bit, but it may be worth the savings. It's only an hour to Baltimore and you'll like be able to arrange some ground transportation at a reduced cost for your big group.

Are there cheaper options if you don't fly non-stop? I know it's more difficult and more risky, but if the cost savings is enough, it might be worth the inconvenience.

The flight RCI offered was Manchester to Heathrow; Heathrow to Baltimore. All the flights we've looked at have a connecting flight.

Good news- We have managed to find some cheaper flights now on line, so looking into booking these. However due to the increased flight cost one of my brothers and his fiancee has dropped out so need to see if they'd be willing to re-consider if we can book these ones instead. xx

Archived