Why not just end formal nights altogether?

Um, nope. The formal nights are just a dress suggestion and not a requirement. I am happy for people to dress as they see fit. Just as I will do. But I will be doing this in the MDR and not slink in the WJ because as a personal preference I dislike buffets.

Um, nope. Formal nights are not just a dress suggestion. Formal nights are real. They make dress suggestions to give passengers a guide as to what to wear. When they say tux or suit they don't mean wear something else. They mean tux or suit. They may not enforce a tux or suit but that does not mean that formal nights are just a suggestion.

Um, nope. Formal nights are not just a dress suggestion. Formal nights are real. They make dress suggestions to give passengers a guide as to what to wear. When they say tux or suit they don't mean wear something else. They mean tux or suit. They may not enforce a tux or suit but that does not mean that formal nights are just a suggestion.

how is it anything but a suggestion if they don't care? It's like the waiter suggesting you order something, but you don't have to order it.

Same with formal nights. So if they don't enforce it, it's not mandatory and IS a suggestion.:rolleyes:

If the cruise line wanted a true "formal night", they would not allow anyone in the MDR unless they were in a Tux or Suit (and appropriate dress for women). Do they do that? No. So they are offering SUGGESTIONS on what people should wear.

I don't think the OP's question is that out of line. Do you want to dress up (regardless of the night)? Do it. If my DW & I want to dress up for our anniversary dinner (even if it's not a "formal night"), why not? You can dress up every night for dinner if you want, right? So what's the benefit of "formal night" (aside from pictures)? It can't be because you want to see everyone decked out in the finest, because it sounds like not everyone does that.

Really?? After being a member for six years you had no idea? Interesting, I would guess a member of six months would know the "hot" debates on CC.

I've been a member for 7 months and I've learned some hot buttons...

* Chair Hogs

* Formal Night Dining

* "Smuggling" Tobacco :D

I've only been on 3 cruises[1 Princess and RCCL EOS] and I wear the same thing every night, even for formal nights. I wear very nice pants, a nice shirt but no tie, no tux, no black suit and have never been denied dining service. I respect anyone who wants to dress up all the way, to each their own but why not follow the NCL model of every night is formal night and casual night. Its the best of both worlds because lets face it, there are no real formal nights anyway. They won't deny you if you look half decent. By the way I think I've seen jeans in the dining room one or twice.

So buy some new clothes.......

So buy some new clothes.......

Why should he? They're not needed. If the cruise line decides to enforce a true formal night, then people would need to bring different clothes. If the cruise line doesn't care (which they apparently don't), why should you?

Until RCI starts enforcing their own guidelines/requirements for what constitutes formal nights and until the RCI staff stop directly encouraging people to come to formal nights not dressed formally...then the term "Formal Nights" is nothing more than a suggestion..it is certainly Not a requirement.

Seeing this thread made me remember to go online and order a tux for my honeymoon cruise - so thanks everyone! I was pleasantly surprised to see that the price is $40 cheaper for a 3/4/5 night cruise.

The misses and I like to dress up, as we feel that it adds to the cruising experience. But we don't mind seeing others in jeans and tshirts. Heck - it makes us look that much better!

390174161200921317102571315272-L.jpg

Seeing this thread made me remember to go online and order a tux for my honeymoon cruise - so thanks everyone! I was pleasantly surprised to see that the price is $40 cheaper for a 3/4/5 night cruise.

The misses and I like to dress up, as we feel that it adds to the cruising experience. But we don't mind seeing others in jeans and tshirts. Heck - it makes us look that much better!

390174161200921317102571315272-L.jpg

Pictures say a thousand words! She is lovely! Hence a fun of formal night.

No, Royal doesn't enforce formal night. Sad. As long as people dress nicely and have respect for those of us who enjoy formal night, lets just all get along.

If anyone has anything in print that says that formal night is only a suggestion please post it. I'd like to be informed.

No, Royal doesn't enforce formal night. Sad. As long as people dress nicely and have respect for those of us who enjoy formal night, lets just all get along.

If anyone has anything in print that says that formal night is only a suggestion please post it. I'd like to be informed.

You can't enforce a suggestion ;)

Do you have anything in print that says formal night requires guests to must be dressed formally to be served?

Off topic here... reminds me of the people who needs proof that god doesn't exist lol

Thank you - we got engaged on that cruise! :)

Scroll to Page 5 of this cruise compass from my last (January) RC cruise. The last several RC cruises have been worded the same way.

"Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion: Formal"

http://www.thefreezes.com/monarch3nightcompass.pdf

Thank you - we got engaged on that cruise! :)

Scroll to Page 5 of this cruise compass from my last (January) RC cruise. The last several RC cruises have been worded the same way.

"Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion: Formal"

http://www.thefreezes.com/monarch3nightcompass.pdf

Am I doing something wrong, I'm only able to get to day 3. By the way CONGRATS!

You can't enforce a suggestion ;)

Do you have anything in print that says formal night requires guests to must be dressed formally to be served?

Off topic here... reminds me of the people who needs proof that god doesn't exist lol

Was it ever a question that those who don't dressed formally be served? Again, can you tell me where FORMAL night is a SUGGESTION

Doesn't anyone feel differently when they dress for a special occassion? I know I do.

The dining vs. eating experience is one that some people are unable to understand. This is an aspect of upbringing and lifestyle that is hard to explain to those who are unaware.

TnT

Exactly right...I would think that anyone who owns a suit would take it on the cruise. I suspect that some people don't own a suit and, for whatever reason, don't want to buy one. We enjoy dressing up for formal night and look forward to it.

I cannot understand why people who do not like Formal Nighs go on cruises where the dress code is occassionally Formal !!!!!! Why are you trying to change the dress code - lots of people seem to enjoy it. If anyone is really against Formal Nights there are other cruise lines they can go on.

I retired at the end of last year and seem to spend the majority of my time in Jeans - so every opportunity I have of "dressing up" is great. That is why I choose not to cruise on a casual cruise ship.

Exactly right...I would think that anyone who owns a suit would take it on the cruise. I suspect that some people don't own a suit and, for whatever reason, don't want to buy one. We enjoy dressing up for formal night and look forward to it.

Frankly, it's a pain to pack a suit/tie/shirt/dress shoes, etc. That's why I tend to rent a tux - I'd rent a more casual suit if it were an option. There's something relaxing about walking into my cabin and seeing a tux and shoes sitting there on the bed waiting for me!

Was it ever a question that those who don't dressed formally be served? Again, can you tell me where FORMAL night is a SUGGESTION

The Compass that was just posted shows it on Page 5 which is under Day 2 bolded:

Tonights Dinner Dress Suggestion:

Formal

(It was a 3 Day cruise so you won't find anything after that.)

I cannot understand why people who do not like Formal Nighs go on cruises where the dress code is occassionally Formal !!!!!! Why are you trying to change the dress code - lots of people seem to enjoy it. If anyone is really against Formal Nights there are other cruise lines they can go on.

I retired at the end of last year and seem to spend the majority of my time in Jeans - so every opportunity I have of "dressing up" is great. That is why I choose not to cruise on a casual cruise ship.

So if there was no "Formal Night", you couldn't dress up? That's what I don't understand. Nothing keeps you from wearing a Tux to dinner every night of the cruise. So why the hang up on "keeping" formal night if RCCL doesn't enforce it?

I would agree, if RCCL enforced a FORMAL dress code (no entry unless in suit & tie or better), you would have a beef.

So when choosing a restaurant you look for the right area and then see if they have an available table, then upon being seated you look for what's being served?

I'm guessing you've ended up with your valentine date at burger joints or being served six course dinners when you just wanted a quick sallad.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't see the analogy again.

I go on a particular cruise because the price, timing and ports suit our vacation time. Formal rights don't even come on the radar. It is nice that you are retired but your preferences about dress are simply that, your preferences. Not anyone else's. Please wear your lovely gowns as you enjoy doing that but unless the dress stipulates Formal as a requirement not a suggestion, then really, there isn't any more room for discussion as I see it.

how is it anything but a suggestion if they don't care? It's like the waiter suggesting you order something, but you don't have to order it.

Same with formal nights. So if they don't enforce it, it's not mandatory and IS a suggestion.:rolleyes:

Exactly.

If they mean Tuxedos or suits then that is what they should state, and not use the word 'suggested'.

But we all know they won't do that because they will lose a lot of people like me who would simply not dress in formal on a vacation. And losing people in today's economy means losing a lot of money.

After thinking about this for a few days, I've finally figured out why I have no desire to dress up for cruise ship formal nights and why I enjoy dressing in a suit or tux for a wedding. It's because the cruise ship formal night is a fabricated event without any purpose and something like a wedding is a celebration that I enjoy. There really isn't any purpose for formal nights so why pretend that it is a celebration?

Well yes, I've been saying that for quite a few posts now.

The Compass that was just posted shows it on Page 5 which is under Day 2 bolded:

Tonights Dinner Dress Suggestion:

Formal

(It was a 3 Day cruise so you won't find anything after that.)

I see your point. It goes against everything else in print, however, the point is, that this is one of the 1-3 nights that you read in your brochure as formal night.

I think we should have "Suggestion" night. I suggest Daisy Dukes! It's my cruise and I'm comfortable in them.

If you (in general) don't want to dress, it's up to you. But don't insult your own inteligence into thinking that the putting forth of FORMAL night was meant to be an option. The lines just don't want to loose the monies of those who choose not to dress, so be it. You've made your points, so be it. Have a nice cruise.

Archived