Why not just end formal nights altogether?

Perhaps one way to solve this would be for the cruise lines to consider a special venue for "formal" night. It could be a "formal" night at a speciality restaurant, or a special portion of the main dining room, ... wherever. Those so interested could make a "reservation" for "formal" night dinner, thereby giving the cruise line the number of passengers attending for the size of the room necessary. AND THIS SHOULD BE KEPT FORMAL (minimum dark suit and cocktail dress)! That way for those that are not interested in dressing "formal," can still go to their regular dining rooms dressed smart casual appropriately. With prepaid gratuities on your shipboard charges, no server would lose if no one showed up at his/her tables.

What do you think?

I think your suggestion is spot on – cordon off part of the MDR or provide another venue for formal night and strictly require formal attire in that section.

For me personally, formal night is more inconvenient than anything else. I already have enough to pack and there’s enough hassle just traveling across the country or halfway around the world without having to pack extra clothes/shoes and paying extra baggage fees.

I spend most of my life at work and follow all the required dress codes. So when on vacation I want to “escape completely”… oops wrong cruise line. What I mean is I would like to spend my full vacation time wearing what I want to wear, instead of what someone else wants me to wear. For me, getting dressed up is not special nor a treat – it’s the exact opposite.

I know, I know, I know… there are other places on the ship that I could have dinner on formal night and not have to dress up. But after a long day in port, one of my favorite parts of cruising is having dinner in the MDR at the same time each night, at the same table, with the same tablemates and with the same staff. It may sound trivial to most of you, but for whatever reason, it’s what I look forward to everyday.

While my strong preference would be to get rid of formal night (or move it to another room), I still do wear a suit and tie on these nights – but the rebel in me refuses to rent a tux. Quite frankly I do this out of respect for the other passengers, who seems to enjoy a more formal atmosphere and I don’t want to detract from that – so I’ll continue to do so as long as the cruise line continues having formal nights. And don’t get me wrong, I still have a nice time, but formal nights are easily my least favorite part of cruising.

P.S. for those of you attending formal night in the main dining room with comoflage pants, a tee shirt with Woody the Woodpecker on it and an orange baseball cap....remember, you're our backdrop to an anticipatged romantic and elegant dinner with the most wonderful person in my life.

If you have to go to such stupid extremes to try to prove to your point then you don't have one that can stand up to scutiny:rolleyes:

Surely your enjoyment of each others company is not based on what others wear. Good grief.

.. for those of you attending formal night in the main dining room with comoflage pants, a tee shirt with Woody the Woodpecker on it and an orange baseball cap....remember, you're our backdrop to an anticipatged romantic and elegant dinner with the most wonderful person in my life.

Thanks for the reminder. If you wish, I'll be glad to pose for a picture with you

But Janice, seriously you need to chill out and relax. You need to accept the fact that although there are formal nights there is only a suggested dress code for formal nights. I am sorry if you cannot understand the difference between suggested and required. But because we're all friends on this forum, I'll offer this suggestion to you (not required just a suggestion) Your life will be much happier if you do not fixate on things that you can't control. Focus on things you can change, such as switching to Cunard if this is still a problem for you.

I've been on 16 cruises and the Captain has been present in the dining room for all of them on formal nights. It would be interesting to hear from you about how you would dress if your were invited to the Captain's table for formal night.

P.S. for those of you attending formal night in the main dining room with comoflage pants, a tee shirt with Woody the Woodpecker on it and an orange baseball cap....remember, you're our backdrop to an anticipatged romantic and elegant dinner with the most wonderful person in my life.

We all know that we can't control anything except our reaction to the environment. Your comment implies that all around you should conform to meet your expectations. Sorry Janice, but providing a backdrop for you is not on my bucket list:rolleyes:

We all know that we can't control anything except our reaction to the environment. Your comment implies that all around you should conform to meet your expectations. Sorry Janice, but providing a backdrop for you is not on my bucket list:rolleyes:

You can refrain from providing a backdrop if you remove yourself from the picture. As is said by Royal and posted on the wall:

"For a more casual dining experiance we invite you to our Windjammer Marketplace."

Thanks for the reminder. If you wish, I'll be glad to pose for a picture with you

But Janice, seriously you need to chill out and relax. You need to accept the fact that although there are formal nights there is only a suggested dress code for formal nights. I am sorry if you cannot understand the difference between suggested and required. But because we're all friends on this forum, I'll offer this suggestion to you (not required just a suggestion) Your life will be much happier if you do not fixate on things that you can't control. Focus on things you can change, such as switching to Cunard if this is still a problem for you.

Not a fair statement. You don't want to be told to switch to another line that has no dress code, why should she switch when she likes that fact that RCCL has a dress code, and formal night. Albeit people ignor it because they can.

You can refrain from providing a backdrop if you remove yourself from the picture. As is said by Royal and posted on the wall:

"For a more casual dining experiance we invite you to our Windjammer Marketplace."

And all of those people who insist formal dress is a requirement and not an option or suggestion could remove themselves as being a backdrop and choose a cruise line where they would actually be right for once.

And all of those people who insist formal dress is a requirement and not an option or suggestion could remove themselves as being a backdrop and choose a cruise line where they would actually be right for once.

Can you read? Or is comprehension the problem?

PS Janice wasn't part of the backdrop, she is the PICTURE

Not a fair statement. You don't want to be told to switch to another line that has no dress code, why should she switch when she likes that fact that RCCL has a dress code, and formal night. Albeit people ignor it because they can.

Just because you keep repeating over and over that there is a mandatory dress code for formal nights still doesn't make it true. Through Print/Policy/and RCI staff it should be clear to everyone that Formal is a SUGGESTION.

Just because you keep repeating over and over that there is a mandatory dress code for formal nights still doesn't make it true. Through Print/Policy/and RCI staff it should be clear to everyone that Formal is a SUGESTION.

NO it is not! They will not ask you to leave if you don't choose to dress properly according to the requested FORMAL night. But it is not a suggestion! The "suggested" attire is for people who can't seem to understand what FORMAL means. It's really not that hard.

If you don't like it won't do it, fine, say it like that, but don't fool yourself, Formal night was meant to be just that.

Can you read? Or is comprehension the problem?

PS Janice wasn't part of the backdrop, she is the PICTURE

I can read just fine..can you? Obviously not since you choose to ignore the printed Compasses that clearly state that Formal is a SUGGESTION..oh but those don't fit your argument so maybe you can read and just choose to ignore what RCI puts into print. Sorry but you are wrong.

I can read just fine..can you? Obviously not since you choose to ignore the printed Compasses that clearly state that Formal is a SUGGESTION..oh but those don't fit your argument so maybe you can read and just choose to ignore what RCI puts into print. Sorry but you are wrong.

I haven't seen a Compass, I'm yet to cruise. All I have is what Royal has printed in the brochures, and most importantly what Royal has posted on the walls. They invite those who would rather be casual to the Windjammer. I asked the C&A desk about this subject and she said, (not that you get a straight answer from them) that they want us to dress formally but they know that some won't and they don't ask them to leave.

If you have further questions you can go to the website. It's quite clear for those who can understand.

Not a fair statement. You don't want to be told to switch to another line that has no dress code, why should she switch when she likes that fact that RCCL has a dress code, and formal night...

Hey Heidi...

It's a fair and reasonable statement. She can stay if she wishes, it was only a suggestion to make her life easier if she cannot evolve and adapt. Since it was only a suggestion she doesn't need to switch. Do you understand the concept?

I haven't seen a Compass, I'm yet to cruise...

Hey Heidi,

Well this explains a lot. You really don't have any idea of how people dress on formal nights. You have no idea how many still dress in tux's, nice casual clothes or Woody Wodpecker shirts. Please don't confuse this forum with your opinions described as facts.

Hey Heidi...

It's a fair and reasonable statement. She can stay if she wishes, it was only a suggestion to make her life easier if she cannot evolve and adapt. Since it was only a suggestion she doesn't need to switch. Do you understand the concept?

So far as I know she is not a monkey and is not asked to evolve. I understand that as of yet she does not need to evolve since she likes the DRESS CODE and enjoys RCCL the way it is.

I understand you want change, it hasn't happened yet. Perhaps in way it has since, AGAIN, Royal doesn't police formal night. But they have not changed their expectations.

Hey Heidi,

Well this explains a lot. You really don't have any idea of how people dress on formal nights. You have no idea how many still dress in tux's, nice casual clothes or Woody Wodpecker shirts. Please don't confuse this forum with your opinions described as facts.

Forgive me...I should have said, I haven't seen a Compass recently. I have been on several cruises.

My husband and I are among those that enjoy dressing up for formal nights. We also work for a Fortune 50 company that has in recent years embraced casual work attire and we like being able to wear jeans to work some days, so we're not stuck in antiquated dress codes. I've not read all the posts on this thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone has already said, but if you book a cruise on RCI or Celebrity or Princess, if you've done the research you should be doing, you know that there are formal nights. Why then the feeling that you're entitled to dress however you please and still be allowed into the MDR? The reality is that the cruise lines do not enforce the suggested dress requirements. Personally, I would at least like to see them not allow jeans and t-shirts on formal nights.

The OP said, "They won't deny you if you look half decent."

Nice!

Can you say lack luster?

Yeah, I wanna go to dinner on a romantic vacation and think to myself, "How low can I go? or Will they DENY me if I look this bad.

I can't even believe I'm having this conversation. It's like, "Wanna be happy with me every day? Lower your expectations."

Forgive me...I should have said, I haven't seen a Compass recently. I have been on several cruises.

Sure I believe you. All you have are your opinions and no facts or experiences. I'm those will help a lot of us.

I haven't seen a Compass, I'm yet to cruise. All I have is what Royal has printed in the brochures, and most importantly what Royal has posted on the walls. They invite those who would rather be casual to the Windjammer. I asked the C&A desk about this subject and she said, (not that you get a straight answer from them) that they want us to dress formally but they know that some won't and they don't ask them to leave.

If you have further questions you can go to the website. It's quite clear for those who can understand.

Actually you have seen a compass so please try and be truthful. We have gone through this a few pages back. I will try and make it easier for you though and post a screen shot of it. Hopefully you can understand this..but unfortunately it does contain the word "Suggestion" which you seem to have trouble grasping.

TONIGHTS DINNER DRESS SUGGESTION

Formal

rcicompass.png

Sure I believe you. All you have are your opinions and no facts or experiences. I'm those will help a lot of us.

Okay you must be right all of my cruises are a figment of my imagination. All the pictures of our cruises on the walls THAT I'M LOOKING AT don't exsist.

What does, "I'm those will help a lot of us," mean?

So far as I know she is not a monkey and is not asked to evolve. I understand that as of yet she does not need to evolve since she likes the DRESS CODE and enjoys RCCL the way it is.....

Hey Heidi...

No one said she was a monkey, but if you do not think everyoone needs to evolve as we go through life, you will be stuck in the past. Maybe that really explains your psoition. No evolution. Times have changed, a lot of people have no desire to dress up for a made up event on a cruise.

Hey Heidi...

No one said she was a monkey, but if you do not think everyoone needs to evolve as we go through life, you will be stuck in the past. Maybe that really explains your psoition. No evolution. Times have changed, a lot of people have no desire to dress up for a made up event on a cruise.

Circles.

And a lot people do!

Archived