Why not just end formal nights altogether?

Actually you have seen a compass so please try and be truthful. We have gone through this a few pages back. I will try and make it easier for you though and post a screen shot of it. Hopefully you can understand this..but unfortunately it does contain the word "Suggestion" which you seem to have trouble grasping.

TONIGHTS DINNER DRESS SUGGESTION

Formal

rcicompass.png

Yes, I did comment on this before. Royal cuts themselves off at the knees when they print it like this and yet everywhere else they describe formal night as just that and not as a suggestion. I don't know how they do that and yet post the sign at the door that has been posted and posted and made referance to again and again.

If that's your platform, dress down as much as you like. Have an ordinary cruise!

WOW....has this taken a turn....everyone else is supposed to act as a backdrop for one other person? We are "ordinary" because we won't dress the way another, totally unrelated person wants us to dress? Woody Woodpecker?

:eek::eek::eek:

"Ordinary is as ordinary does."

In your case the Forest Gump derivative is much more accurate :p

My cruise will be far from ordinary because I'll be there with my family and it doesn't matter if you or Woody Woodpecker are the backdrop.

I think it's interesting that anyone would equate being "ordinary" with how someone dresses. So, by implication, that poster must only feel extraordinary when they are dressed in a sparkly gown or a tuxedo. Frankly, I find this sad and far, far from extraordinary. Like most women, I love to dress up and my husband and I always do...even on some nights that formal isn't suggested. However, my clothing is merely that...clothing. My sense of the extraordinary does not begin, nor end, with my clothing choices. I cringe to think that someone else's clothing choices may EVER affect me to such a degree.

And as to the "backdrop" post: Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that if you're looking for, or expecting, others to become pulchritudinous props in your mental pictorial evening, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment, not to mention a good old fashioned eye roll.

Your life is obviously your own, but I cannot imagine sitting with my husband and basing our lovely evening's outcome on anything other than ourselves. Frankly, if my husband thought that I felt that way, he would be grossly offended. When I see him in his formal wear, even after 15 years, he flips my switch and the only "backdrop" I'm concerned with is our personal three feet of space and I know he feels the same way...he couldn't care less what is in the "backdrop" unless you take into account how the back of my gown fits. That you allow others clothing choices to affect you to such a degree is slightly disturbing, in my opinion.

Hey Heidi,

Well this explains a lot. You really don't have any idea of how people dress on formal nights. You have no idea how many still dress in tux's, nice casual clothes or Woody Wodpecker shirts. Please don't confuse this forum with your opinions described as facts.

Her idea of how people dress on formal nights is correct. Most do dress up. I was on two Royal Caribbean cruises last year. An October 11 day Med on Mariner where they had three formal nights (the third was a surprise) and Allure of the Seas in December. There were formal nights on both sailings and most passengers dressed in the suggested attire on both cruises.

If most passengers were dressing like you desire, not in formal dress, then you would not be here making your strident statements would you? If you there were no formal nights you would have nothing to argue about. But as of today there are formal nights.

Ok Look...this has become far from Snarky.

I felt like I was trying to debate dressing up for formal night, and for many of us is a great deal of fun... and yes it would be nice to be surrounded by people that share the same sentiment.

I'm just going to have fun on my cruise and I hope you all have fun as well.

I'm out....

Charles, you have had your own opinions and you hold yourself as a class act!

I think it's interesting that anyone would equate being "ordinary" with how someone dresses. So, by implication, that poster must only feel extraordinary when they are dressed in a sparkly gown or a tuxedo. Frankly, I find this sad and far, far from extraordinary. Like most women, I love to dress up and my husband and I always do...even on some nights that formal isn't suggested. However, my clothing is merely that...clothing. My sense of the extraordinary does not begin, nor end, with my clothing choices. I cringe to think that someone else's clothing choices may EVER affect me to such a degree.

And as to the "backdrop" post: Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that if you're looking for, or expecting, others to become pulchritudinous props in your mental pictorial evening, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment, not to mention a good old fashioned eye roll.

Your life is obviously your own, but I cannot imagine sitting with my husband and basing our lovely evening's outcome on anything other than ourselves. Frankly, if my husband thought that I felt that way, he would be grossly offended. When I see him in his formal wear, even after 15 years, he flips my switch and the only "backdrop" I'm concerned with is our personal three feet of space and I know he feels the same way...he couldn't care less what is in the "backdrop" unless you take into account how the back of my gown fits. That you allow others clothing choices to affect you to such a degree is slightly disturbing, in my opinion.

Kristi, (this is my sisters name and how she spells it) YES I do feel extraordinary when I get dressed up. Isn't that the purpose? It's a break from the norm.

So yes, I don't want to be ordinary on my cruise. I do that every day.

No, I haven't read all 21 pages of comments here..but I did want to side with those who like formal nights...I am a nurse and wear scrubs [aka pajamas] to work, the DH works as a civilian on a military base and wears kakhi's and polo's all the time, so to be able to dress up and have us both looking nice is fun. Granted we don't bring all out 'formal wear' like tuxedos and ball gowns...but we look "presentable". It's nice to go to dinner and see everyone else dressed up too. Plus it's the only time we get to be dressed up and get our pictures taken so we have 'professional' photos...:rolleyes:

With the larger ships formal night is not a hindrance to being able to eat somewhere besides the buffet line...there are still free options elsewhere. On other ships I have seen people in jeans or khaki's on formal night in the MDR. I am not offended by thier choice of clothing, they are on vacation just like I am, if they want to wear that to dinner then let them...and if I like to dress nice even if it's not formal night, that's my perogative...I just don't want to see shorts or bathing suit coverups at dinner.:o

My photo [at top left up there next to my screen name] is an example of what we generally wear to 'formal night' the DH is in a black suit and tie, I am wearing a jersy long dress [from Old Navy] and dressed it up with a nice shawl...the photo at the bottom is what I generally wear to dinner anyother night...sun dress with a light jacket or sweater, the AC in the MDR gets cold...

If most passengers were dressing like you desire, not in formal dress, then you would not be here making your strident statements would you? If you there were no formal nights you would have nothing to argue about. But as of today there are formal nights.

Yes there are formal nights and formal dress is suggested, not required. My argument is with those people that want to shame everyone into thing formal dress is required. Everyone is welcome in the MDR unless therir dress is on the speciifcally prohibited list. Many of us have no desire to dress up so that we can be a backdrop for your pictures. Please let me know if I need to explain the difference between suggested and required.

Archived