"Lessons Learned" on Disney Fantasy

cbaker444

We just returned from a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy (April 28th sailing). It was our first cruise so we didn't know exactly what to expect when we got onboard.

I already posted all the highlights of the boat in a "top 6" list. Overall we had a great experience, so these are just some things we wished we would have done differently or thought about...

1. Buy the 24-pack of bottled water for our stateroom through Disney. We didn't do this, but wished we would have since the tap water in the room is not cold (for taking medications, etc.). Plus the portability is helpful. The Fantasy does have recycling baskets on deck 11.

2. The boat has a lot of people on it. The non-adult areas can get pretty chaotic with all the kids running around. Just be prepared and be patient :) If you really hate crowds and lots of kids, a Disney cruise is probably not for you.

3. Lines to get pictures taken by Disney photographers are generally very long (like 10 to 20 minute wait). Be prepared to wait in lines if this is important to you. (we didn't want to wait, mainly because we have a rambunctious 3-year-old so it's pretty painful, but it would have been nice to have a few family photos taken) I wish there was a way for families to make a 'reservation' for a time to get photos taken so less of the trip is wasted waiting in lines.

4. For babies & toddlers - make sure you bring plenty of diapers and/or pullups with you. It is impossible to buy them on the ship (they only sell water/pool diapers) and we couldn't find them at the port stops either.

5. Bring an iPod/iPad or other device that can play music - I happen to have some songs on mine that are for helping babies sleep, like white noise. Mine is the sound of ocean waves. Here's a link if you want to see what I mean:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/help-your-baby-sleep-through/id292705464

Anyway, without this I would not have been able to sleep well for 2 reasons:

- At night, sometimes kids will run up and down the halls and are noisy. Some parents let their young kids stay up to midnight or 1am (seriously?!?). Also, we often heard our next door neighbors yelling at their kids for one reason or another. Or kids fighting with each other.

- At night, as the boat rocks, a slight squeaking/cracking noise can be heard from the walls and/or ceiling. Also, the hangers in the closet will bang a little bit. It's not loud, but loud enough to keep you awake.

The white noise, or nature sounds, will really help to cancel out those little noises. A lifesaver!

6. Bring some large plastic tumblers for drinks, like Tervis brand. Someone recommended this to us and it was a great idea. However, also remember to bring some soap so that you can wash them out in your room at your convenience.

7. If you're a wine drinker, stop at a wine/liquor store in Orlando or Cocoa Beach and pick up 2 bottles per person. That way you get the selection you like and will save a lot of $$ on the boat. The $20 cork fee per bottle is well worth it considering the prices and quality of wine on the boat. At some of the port stops you may be able to pick up a few more if they have what you like.

8. Unless your child is at least 38" tall, they cannot ride on any of the water slides at the pool or on Castaway Kay. The Aquaduck has a minimum of 42" tall. It really limits what shorter kids/toddlers can do.

9. We didn't enjoy Castaway Kay all that much because our daughter was too little to go on the slides or do many activities. And the beach was sooooooooo crowded it wasn't all that fun. I wished we would have just stayed on the ship that day instead. I think for older kids (like 5+) the island may be more fun. I'm sure the boat was less crowded and would have been better.

Those are top-of-mind... if I think of more I'll post them here :)

7. If you're a wine drinker, stop at a wine/liquor store in Orlando or Cocoa Beach and pick up 2 bottles per person. That way you get the selection you like and will save a lot of $$ on the boat. The $20 cork fee per bottle is well worth it considering the prices and quality of wine on the boat. At some of the port stops you may be able to pick up a few more if they have what you like.

20$ corkage per wine bottle is pretty steep. Can we open it with our own bottle opener in the MDRs ? For a bigger group , opening 3-4 wine bottles every night will run up a steep corkage charges :(

I haven't done this with wine (I don't drink) but we've bought cans of soda onshore and then poured them out in our room, then walked with our glasses to different venues around the ship. (This was obviously on another cruise line that charges for soda). No one ever questioned us. I'm sure if you did that with wine (just walked into the dining room already holding the glass) they wouldn't question it. For all they know, you bought it at one of the onboard bars.

20$ corkage per wine bottle is pretty steep. Can we open it with our own bottle opener in the MDRs ? For a bigger group , opening 3-4 wine bottles every night will run up a steep corkage charges :(

I believe as long as you open the wine yourself in your cabin they will not charge you anything. We had wine and rum on the Dream last May and didn't pay a thing but we did pour it in our room.

I believe as long as you open the wine yourself in your cabin they will not charge you anything. We had wine and rum on the Dream last May and didn't pay a thing but we did pour it in our room.

You are perfectly right. Just open the wine bottles in the room and carry them to the dinning rooms with a stopper attached to all

of them. A little planning works wonders :p

You are perfectly right. Just open the wine bottles in the room and carry them to the dinning rooms with a stopper attached to all

They'll charge you if you bring the bottle in. The corkage is more than just a corkscrew rental.

If you really want to game the system, pour the wine into glasses in your room and carry them into the dining room. When you want a refill, you just excuse yourself, go back to your room, pour another drink and carry that one back to the dining room. It's a lot of work but hey, you saved a few bucks.

They'll charge you if you bring the bottle in. The corkage is more than just a corkscrew rental.

If you really want to game the system, pour the wine into glasses in your room and carry them into the dining room. When you want a refill, you just excuse yourself, go back to your room, pour another drink and carry that one back to the dining room. It's a lot of work but hey, you saved a few bucks.

So basically you cannot take your own wine bottles to the dinning rooms without paying corkage ?

I was thinking of taking wine bottles with screw caps or the one gallon wine tetrapacks :D:D:D

http://www.tetrapak.com/us/packaging/food_categories/wine/Pages/default.aspx

7. If you're a wine drinker, stop at a wine/liquor store in Orlando or Cocoa Beach and pick up 2 bottles per person

I wasn't aware that there was a 2 bottle limit per person. Is there really?

I wasn't aware that there was a 2 bottle limit per person. Is there really?

There is no limit per person, you just have to fit it in your carryon and have the carryon fit in the scanner at the port.

I really think the poster means at least 2 bottles per person .

There is no limit per person, you just have to fit it in your carryon and have the carryon fit in the scanner at the port.

I really think the poster means at least 2 bottles per person .

Being a Celebrity cruiser, where there is a 2 bottle limit, and knowing DCL doesn't have a carry on alcohol policy (in the past) I wondered if their policy had changed. Thanks.

$20 per bottle is steep if you usually buy wine that's $12 or less. However, for those who typically drink bottles that cost $40+ then the cork fee is not too bad because of the markup on the wine (a $40 bottle from a liquor store will probably cost $100 on the ship, so you're essentially "saving" $40 on that bottle).

Except for Remy, I personally was not impressed with the wine list on the ship (but I acknowledge I'm very selective when it comes to wine). A low-grade glass of wine on the ship will run you $6.50 to $8 per glass. A mediocre glass of wine will run you $12 to $15 per glass. All the "good" wines are by the bottle only and will cost $90+ per bottle. At Remy they have bottles that go up to $25,000 I believe (yes, for one bottle). ~Though, I think those are on the menu mainly to impress the guests - I don't imagine they would sell any of those because if you have that kind of money you're probably on your own private yacht and not a DC :)

Yes, you can pour your own glass of wine and walk it to dinner without paying the cork fee. But if you bring the whole bottle, even if opened, you will need to pay the fee. You could always give yourself a large pour and drink really slow to last throughout dinner :)

$20 per bottle is steep if you usually buy wine that's $12 or less. However, for those who typically drink bottles that cost $40+ then the cork fee is not too bad because of the markup on the wine (a $40 bottle from a liquor store will probably cost $100 on the ship, so you're essentially "saving" $40 on that bottle).

I have a large collection of French red and white wines, which are all below 20$ , because I bought them in crates, from an online wholesaler.

I would not bleed my pockets on buying wine from the ship, where the same bottles would cost 100 $ :)

I bet they sell this Chateau Lafite-Rothschild for $25,000 !!

:)

This is my wine cellar list :), All below $20 .

It is a Poor man's French wine celler ;)

Castello D'Albola Chianti Classico 2007

Antinori Santa Cristina Chianti Superiore 2009

Rocca Delle Macie Chianti Classico 2007

Domaines Baron Rothschild Reserve Speciale Bordeaux Rouge 2010

Simonnet-Febvre Chablis 2009

Guy Saget La Petite Perriere Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Guy Saget La Petite Perriere Sauvignon Blanc 201

Chateau Les Graves de Barrau 2008

Vincent Bouquet Cabernet Sauvignon Vin de Pays d'Oc 2006

Patient Cottat Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Bouchard Aine & Fils Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2007

Vincent Bouquet Merlot Vin de Pays d'Oc 2006

Dom. Lafage Cuvee Nicolas 2009

Club Claret Blanc 2008

Dourthe La Grande Cuvee Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Duboeuf Julienas 2008

Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone Belleruche Blanc 2010

Gerard Bertrand Tautavel Grand Terroir 2007

Vidal-Fleury Cotes-du-Rhone Blanc 2009

Guigal Cotes du Rhone Rouge 2007

I have a large collection of French red and white wines, which are all below 20$ , because I bought them in crates, from an online wholesaler.

I would not bleed my pockets on buying wine from the ship, where the same bottles would cost 100 $ :)

This is my wine cellar list :), All below $20 .

It is a Poor man's French wine celler ;)

Castello D'Albola Chianti Classico 2007

Antinori Santa Cristina Chianti Superiore 2009

Rocca Delle Macie Chianti Classico 2007

Domaines Baron Rothschild Reserve Speciale Bordeaux Rouge 2010

Simonnet-Febvre Chablis 2009

Guy Saget La Petite Perriere Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Guy Saget La Petite Perriere Sauvignon Blanc 201

Chateau Les Graves de Barrau 2008

Vincent Bouquet Cabernet Sauvignon Vin de Pays d'Oc 2006

Patient Cottat Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Bouchard Aine & Fils Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2007

Vincent Bouquet Merlot Vin de Pays d'Oc 2006

Dom. Lafage Cuvee Nicolas 2009

Club Claret Blanc 2008

Dourthe La Grande Cuvee Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Duboeuf Julienas 2008

Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone Belleruche Blanc 2010

Gerard Bertrand Tautavel Grand Terroir 2007

Vidal-Fleury Cotes-du-Rhone Blanc 2009

Guigal Cotes du Rhone Rouge 2007

Don't feel bad, all of mine come in a box :p :D

That's a pretty typical corkage fee in most restaurants these days. Corkage doesn't only cover the cost of opening the bottle, but also providing stemware and a bit to the wine steward/sommelier.

Bringing your own and paying corkage ensures that you will have the wines you enjoy drinking. It's not going to make sense for people who typically drink Yellowtail, Mondavi Coastal, or Barefoot. But for people who enjoy better wines and prefer them with some age on them, it's a bargain.

Wrong. You will be charged a corkage fee for any bottle you bring into the dining room, whether opened or not.

And these are the cheapskates who will ruin it for those of us who want to bring better wines on board to compensate for DCL's shortcomings in that department and have no problem paying a measly $20 corkage. grrrr...

No, it's a '47 Cheval Blanc. I'd want to know the provenance before spending that kind of cash, given the amount of counterfeit wine at auction over the past few years. Even though it's Disney, there's still no guarantee.

wine dotcom has a great selection of wines at very reasonable rates. They ship by UPS with free shipping and no sales tax.

I would not buy wines any other way :p

PLCB bin ends are some of the best deals in the marketplace these days--I recently scored two cases of 92 point Parker/91 point Tanzer Napa cab with a retail of $50 for $22 a bottle through PLCB.

I'd suggest you subscribe to wine searcher pro, you'll learn that unfortunately the "deals" you think you are getting aren't so great after all.

Archived