Just off the conquest yesterday

I will do a full review in a bit. But I wanted to share a couple of thoujghts. I would say it was my least favorite of my cruises. It was good but not the best vacation I have had. Some of it was my 15 month daughter was cranky and restless, some of it was about the ship and most about the embarkation/debarkation process and port itself - which was much more chaotic than Miami. I will definitely cruise again after dd is 2, but not sure I would go out of NOLA again. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

I am assuming you went to Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, and Cozumel. I have been seeing here and there so to speak about changing ports. Like the ship would go to Cozumel for the first stop (when its actually supposed to be the last stop). Any info on this? We are booked for August and have been looking into excursions and kinda worried about booking them (outside of Carnival) on certain dates when we may not even be there that day.

That was part of it. We were scheduled for:

Sunday- depart

Monday- Sea

Tuesday- Sea

Weds- Montego Bay

Thurs- Grand Cayman

Friday- Cozumel

Sat- Sea

But they changed it at the last minute. Some people found out the day the boat left, we did not. We had reservations at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel with a 10 deposit paid. We might have been able to go there to see if we could change to Friday (Even though it says you MUST call the 800#) but we didn't bother and just ate the $10. We decided we did not want to do an all inclusive at that point and just forfeited our $10.

Then we got to GC late and did not get off the boat until a little after noon. The last return tender was at 4 so there was not much time to do much.

I do not know why they changed the itinerary. I heard maybe weather, but the week before it was changed too. I am annoyed that Carnival did not even send an email or make an announcement prior to sail away when I had access to my cell to actually make changes.

I will do a full review in a bit. But I wanted to share a couple of thoujghts. I would say it was my least favorite of my cruises. It was good but not the best vacation I have had. Some of it was my 15 month daughter was cranky and restless, some of it was about the ship and most about the embarkation/debarkation process and port itself - which was much more chaotic than Miami. I will definitely cruise again after dd is 2, but not sure I would go out of NOLA again. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Why did you not like going out of NOLA?

Perhaps I was spoiled having only cruised out of the Port of Miami, which really has it down pat. I just thought the embark and debark process was slow and not smooth. We got to the port early (around 9:30), which I recommend with a little one, and were in Zone 1 so we got on right after VIP, weddings and special assist. But we did not get on the boat until about noon. I thought that was kinda late for being in the first boarding group. Once it came debark time I saw why. We did not do self assist so we did not get off the ship and through customs until about 10:30. And there were still several groups still waiting to get off the ship after we did. They did not start doing self assist until about 8 I think. Then once you get out they had a small area outside where we and about 20000 other people stand with luggage and wait for shuttles, taxis or a car, all in the same place. And its the same place where all the arriving people are coming in as well. It just seemed disorganized to me.

Sunday- depart

Monday- Sea

Tuesday- Sea

Weds- Montego Bay

Thurs- Grand Cayman

Friday- Cozumel

Sat- Sea

But they changed it at the last minute. Some people found out the day the boat left, we did not. We had reservations at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel with a 10 deposit paid. We might have been able to go there to see if we could change to Friday (Even though it says you MUST call the 800#)

Wasn't Friday the original schedule?

What did they change?

Thanks

Perhaps I was spoiled having only cruised out of the Port of Miami, which really has it down pat. I just thought the embark and debark process was slow and not smooth. We got to the port early (around 9:30), which I recommend with a little one, and were in Zone 1 so we got on right after VIP, weddings and special assist. But we did not get on the boat until about noon. I thought that was kinda late for being in the first boarding group. Once it came debark time I saw why. We did not do self assist so we did not get off the ship and through customs until about 10:30. And there were still several groups still waiting to get off the ship after we did. They did not start doing self assist until about 8 I think. Then once you get out they had a small area outside where we and about 20000 other people stand with luggage and wait for shuttles, taxis or a car, all in the same place. And its the same place where all the arriving people are coming in as well. It just seemed disorganized to me.

Ahhh ok... makes sense. Found the same thing first time we went out of Galveston, but have heard they revamped it and goes much quicker now there.

Wasn't Friday the original schedule?

What did they change?

Thanks

Sorry, I meant we might have went there to change it from Friday to Tuesday. The itinerary was changed to:

Sun= Depart

Mon= Sea

Tuesday= Cozumel

Weds= Grand Cayman

Thurs= Montego Bay

Friday and Sat= Sea

I liked the revised itinerary better but it messed with our private excursions. I was just annoyed that they did not seem to make any effort to notify of the change at all, even by way of PA annoucement onboard. In fairness though they did show the itinerary on the shore excursions booklet, I just did not notice it.

Ahhh ok... makes sense. Found the same thing first time we went out of Galveston, but have heard they revamped it and goes much quicker now there.

We talked about trying Galveston next time if Magic is still there when we are ready to cruise. It looks like Galveston is only a couple of hours further than New Orleans to drive from where we are. This was our first time driving to port and we may do it again, especially with the cost of airfare. But any Florida port is going to be 17 to 18 hours without stops so I just cannot see doing it. Looked like Galveston was going to be about 13 hours (without stops). Or we may bite the bullet and go back to NOLA. But I am not sure I am excited about the Sunshine and DH and I both want to check out Magic.

I wouldn't have liked the change in port stops.

But as far as boarding at noon, I guess I'm just used to that. I thought that was the rule anyway. Everything I've seen said to expect boarding to begin around noon. To be fair though, I've only used the NOLA port so far and no other one yet.

I wouldn't have liked the change in port stops.

But as far as boarding at noon, I guess I'm just used to that. I thought that was the rule anyway. Everything I've seen said to expect boarding to begin around noon. To be fair though, I've only used the NOLA port so far and no other one yet.

Memphis where are you at? Im right near Memphis myself, I live in Hernando

Sunday- depart

Monday- Sea

Tuesday- Sea

Weds- Montego Bay

Thurs- Grand Cayman

Friday- Cozumel

Sat- Sea

But they changed it at the last minute. Some people found out the day the boat left, we did not. We had reservations at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel with a 10 deposit paid. We might have been able to go there to see if we could change to Friday (Even though it says you MUST call the 800#) but we didn't bother and just ate the $10. We decided we did not want to do an all inclusive at that point and just forfeited our $10.

Then we got to GC late and did not get off the boat until a little after noon. The last return tender was at 4 so there was not much time to do much.

I do not know why they changed the itinerary. I heard maybe weather, but the week before it was changed too. I am annoyed that Carnival did not even send an email or make an announcement prior to sail away when I had access to my cell to actually make changes.

We were on the Conquest April 22-29 and the itinerary was also changed. When I got home I spoke with my PVP and he said it was due to Port congestion. On the ship I told the guy head of excursions on the morning we didn't get off at Grand Cayman until 12:30 that disembarkation there "sucked" and, he said he understood but, it was because we did not get to Cayman until 10:00 that morning. They were only running one tender also....We have been on lots of cruises and this was the worst disembarkation at Cayman we ever had....I did like the 2 sea days at the end of the cruise tho. I also did like where we docked in Jamaica. It was at an industrial port.

The good, the bad and the ugly of sailing with a tyke? Our son will be 13 months on this next cruise.. first time sailing with a kid. I want to hear it all!

Can't help you cause mine are all grown, but you might want to start a new thread about this. I have seen a couple of other ones asking the same thing so possibly do a search before you post. Good Luck!

Overall I think Embark & Disembark are ALWAYS the worst part of any cruise. I think a lot of it is due to all the hieghtened security that has been forced upon us. I wonder sometimes how things were back in the 70's & 80's when I was a young 20 year old. Unfortunately I didnt learn what a great deal cruising was until later in life.

I would like to know more about cruising out of NOLA. We have always cruised out of Galveston & have had a fairly easy time. Always got there before 10:00 & on the ship before Noon. Also Disembark we have always had no issue as we just grab a porter & have them take us to the Passport line. (Passports always speed up your Processing)

I have heard it is very interesting crusing down the Mississipi River for several hours before you reach the Gulf. Would love to hear more about that. Also any other issues like Parking etc.

I would like to know more about cruising out of NOLA. We have always cruised out of Galveston & have had a fairly easy time. Always got there before 10:00 & on the ship before Noon. Also Disembark we have always had no issue as we just grab a porter & have them take us to the Passport line. (Passports always speed up your Processing)

I have heard it is very interesting crusing down the Mississippi River for several hours before you reach the Gulf. Would love to hear more about that. Also any other issues like Parking etc.

I have sailed out of 4 different ports and I have to say I love going out of New Orleans. I had no issues with the other 3 ports also. Getting on and off the ship in New Orleans was a breeze. OP complained about the boarding process not starting till 1130 but that is normal. The 6 to 8 hour trip down the Mississippi is a treat in itself, just wish more was during daylight hours but I don't think Carnival can control the sunset:)

Can't help you cause mine are all grown, but you might want to start a new thread about this. I have seen a couple of other ones asking the same thing so possibly do a search before you post. Good Luck!

I have already.. the family boards aren't the most happening though. But thank you! :)

We talked about trying Galveston next time if Magic is still there when we are ready to cruise. It looks like Galveston is only a couple of hours further than New Orleans to drive from where we are. This was our first time driving to port and we may do it again, especially with the cost of airfare. But any Florida port is going to be 17 to 18 hours without stops so I just cannot see doing it. Looked like Galveston was going to be about 13 hours (without stops). Or we may bite the bullet and go back to NOLA. But I am not sure I am excited about the Sunshine and DH and I both want to check out Magic.

My husband and I have taken cruises that left from both NOLA and Galveston. We prefer Galveston because it is easier to get to and the parking at the pier is cheaper as well.

We always drive down a day early and stay at hotels that offer free parking for length of cruise and free shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal.

We are trying to decide if we want to cruise one more time on the Conquest (been three times) or cruise on the Magic in November. I think we are leaning towards the Magic.

We live in Kansas so we know how you feel about the airfare and driving.

Archived