Alaska Cruise Advice for A Senior with Mobility Problem

My partner's parents are interested in going on a crusie to Alaska from the L.A. area. His mother (age 92) is in a wheelchair because of a recent fall, and his father (age 91) is quite healthy but cannot take care of her totally by himself (like lifting her up from the wheelchair, if needed). We wonder if anyone could provide some suggestions about any cruise line that would have on board assistance on a daily basis to ease the caregiving his father would have to provide for his mother. Currently, they live in their own house but have daily care assistance for her for about 8-9 hours per day. They know they will need a room with handicap facilities and they are able to get a suite in order to have more space for them to move around. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You may have to hire a companion if they are planning on going alone. You could book an inside room for the companion as close to them as you can ge. Do you have any single responsible family member that might want the job? Can you go with them? Unfortunately it doesn't sound like they should be alone.

Would you and your partner be on the cruise with them to provide assistance?

If not, depending on how much extra assistance she would require beyond what her husband can provide, they may need to hire a nurse's aide.

Here is a link to the board for

Disabled Cruise Travel

which is a great resource for this type of advice.

Unfortunately helping people who need additional nursing care is not in the job description of the workers on any cruise line. There have been stories of people booking a cruise and not being forth right about the amount of assistance that they needed on a daily basis and they were disembarked at the next port. Of course all cruise lines will assist with embarkation and disembarkation, and the occasional time on board, but daily assistance is beyond their scope.

If you can find someone to go with them and they can afford a larger suite, sometimes you can find a cabin that comes with a separate bedroom so that the caregiver could be close at hand, but still have their own privacy. Check the deck plans carefully as there may be limited numbers of accessible suite cabins, if any at all. While suites may be larger, they won't have wider doors to accommodate wheelchairs, larger bathrooms with no steps, roll in showers with seats, grab bars in the bathroom, balconies with either a ramp or no step to get outdoors, and some HC cabins have automatic door openers and door bells.

Do look into the availability of campanion fares with airlines and possibily cruise lines which can sometimes be up to half price.

Hopefully your partner and their parents can find a way to make it happen as Alaska is a special place.

My partner's parents are interested in going on a crusie to Alaska from the L.A. area. His mother (age 92) is in a wheelchair because of a recent fall, and his father (age 91) is quite healthy but cannot take care of her totally by himself (like lifting her up from the wheelchair, if needed). We wonder if anyone could provide some suggestions about any cruise line that would have on board assistance on a daily basis to ease the caregiving his father would have to provide for his mother. Currently, they live in their own house but have daily care assistance for her for about 8-9 hours per day. They know they will need a room with handicap facilities and they are able to get a suite in order to have more space for them to move around. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are no attendants for disabled persons who are part of a cruise ship crew. You would have to provide the help yourself, or hire someone to travel with them to do that, especially when you're talking 8-9 hours a day! Some of the suites have 2 bedrooms, so if they sleep in one bed there would be a bed for a companion, or you would have to get a second cabin (and pay the attendant, and for a second person in that cabin, even if the attendant sails alone).

I use a wheelchair and travel, but my husband travels with me and does any assisting I might need.

You may have to hire a companion if they are planning on going alone. You could book an inside room for the companion as close to them as you can ge. Do you have any single responsible family member that might want the job? Can you go with them? Unfortunately it doesn't sound like they should be alone.

Thanks for the suggestion.

There are no attendants for disabled persons who are part of a cruise ship crew. You would have to provide the help yourself, or hire someone to travel with them to do that, especially when you're talking 8-9 hours a day! Some of the suites have 2 bedrooms, so if they sleep in one bed there would be a bed for a companion, or you would have to get a second cabin (and pay the attendant, and for a second person in that cabin, even if the attendant sails alone).

I use a wheelchair and travel, but my husband travels with me and does any assisting I might need.

Thanks for the suggestion. Taking an attendant is an alternative we will suggest to them.

I'll be available to assist your partner's mother. My only requirement(s) would be they would need to get a suite with two bedrooms; I don't do interior cabins any longer. Does his mother have a power chair, and if so is she taking it along? I know you said she's in a wheel chair. Good luck with your/their decision(s).

Archived