Wedding ring question for the ladies

dettlja

I have a pretty nice wedding set. My rings are soldered together. I usually wear the rings on the ship but not in port. I am not really concerned about getting robbed as much as I am losing or damaging it. I keep my ring in my cabin safe when I am not wearing it.

My ring is not very expensive, but was given to me with LOTS of love. I would hate to lose it, so I will not wear my wedding ring, or purchase a set or band from Avon, they have some very nice ones.

I used to wear my wedding band constantly, but my engagement ring was hit or miss. Well, they were white gold, and they ended up different colors (it was probably not a good idea to keep it on while installing a ceramic tile floor) so I never wore them together.

We replaced the white gold band with a tungsten band for every day wear, and had the real one replated. I think the new one was $12, it's nearly indestructible for most of what I do, has no sentimental value, and is completely inconspicuous, so that's what I wear most of the time.

It makes me nuts to have a *naked* finger! But my engagement ring and wedding band aren't soldered together, so whenever we travel I always leave the engagement ring at home and just wear the (plain white gold) wedding band. But I also try to go scuba diving whenever we're someplace with warm water and I don't want some lovely tropical fish thinking my finger is a lure. :) If I had any plans to snorkel I wouldn't wear any diamonds, either.

I think if I weren't able to separate them I might get some sort of "costume jewelry" band to wear while on vacation just so I was wearing something. Not even necessarily so other people would know I was married, but it just feels weird not to have a ring on.

I plan on getting a cheap, plain band before the next cruise. Even though my rings are insured, I would hate to have to replace them! I'm definitely worried that I'll lose my rings in the water, especially since my fingers tend to change size a lot. I hate taking them off for longer than a few minutes, and I would be too nervous to leave them in the room safe while off the ship.....

We replaced the white gold band with a tungsten band for every day wear, and had the real one replated. I think the new one was $12, it's nearly indestructible for most of what I do, has no sentimental value, and is completely inconspicuous, so that's what I wear most of the time.

Same here except ours are titanium, just plain bands that we paid about $15 each for. I work with caustics all the time (I'm a soapmaker by trade) so any ring with a stone in it would drive me nuts because I'm wearing vinyl gloves a lot of the time.

The ring I was married with I only wear for special family occasions and wasn't even purchased by DH - my mother bought the stones and had it custom made for me when I was a toddler. :p We've had four other sets of rings in the 20 years we've been married.

I would recommend keeping it on - my wife had hers stolen from our room (accidentally left the safe open when we ran to breakfast on the last day of the cruise - Royal).

Luckily it was recovered (from our steward), but now she never takes it off ...

Accidents happen, but if your ring is on your finger then you know where it is at.

There was aman on a shore excursion with us last month who lost his wedding ring while river tubing. Ouch. I wear only a wedding band but it is a custom design with symbolys of our vows and two very tiny gems representing each of us. It is awide band of of heavy gold and although I usually wear it everywhere I plan to leave it on the ship in the cabin safe when we visit Sout American ports next year. I've read that it's advisable to not wear ANY jewlery in some of the ports we'll be in. m--

I never take my wedding rings on vacation. A few years ago my husband and I bought matching silver rings in Mexico that we both use as our "travel" rings. I also bought a couple of cheap "bling" rings for on the cruise ship which I have actually been wearing lately because I lost some weight and need to get my wedding rings resized so I don't lose them.

I NEVER take any of my jewelry on any vacation, like my wedding rings and expensive earrings, bracelets etc....I spend of lot of time looking for costume jewelry before my cruise and I always just wear a cheap wedding ring set that I bought several years ago( and believe it or not still looks awesome).....I just feel better knowing my good jewelry is at home safe and sound, because I have been on trips with girlfriends where one of them lost a valuable and sentimental piece and I just couldn't bear it if I did.

I wear mine on the ship (except when at the pool), but I don't wear it at the ports because I wouldn't want to lose it while swimming. If I wasn't going swimming I probably would wear it. We usually go on a tour or stick to the touristy areas, so I wouldn't be worried that someone would steal it. My mom has a huge ring which she can't take off, so she rotates the stone so that it's under her fingers and less visible.

Many times, my wife simply twists her engagement ring around on her finger when we go into port so the diamond is on the side of her palm to make it less conspicous. You do have to be careful about carrying things with that hand as you don't want to put pressure on the stone and losen it.

What a unique thread...I love my hubby of 24 years...a few years ago he did an "upgrade", but it's still quite simple in design. I have never thought of taking it off. BTW, our idea of upgrade probably doesn't compare to the BIG spenders out there...but I love it and my man..:o

I wear my set, but if I feel uncomfortable, I flip it around so the diamonds face inward, and it looks more like just a gold band. That has happened rarely - I usually feel quite safe while traveling.

Well as you can see..i love my Diamonique.

Diamonique is CZ diamonds that look really real. I have a 3 stone(anniversary ring) set in sterling silver(platinum look). It's gorgeous. I get compliments on it all the time. I just smile and say, "yep my hubby did good!";)

This is what i wear on vacation. I would feel awful if i lost my real engagement ring and wedding ring set. Although it's not as gaudy or flashy but it's sentimental and what my hubby picked out for me.

So the answer to your question is no i don't wear my real jewelry. Everything i bring is nice but cosmetic jewelry.

Many years ago I left my wedding jewelry at home while honeymooning in Jamaica (not a cruise). I was lounging on the beach while my husband was snorkeling. A local man told me I had beautiful eyes and proceeded to share my lounger with me. When I explained that I was married and that the snorkeler in the water was my husband, he glanced at my hand and said "you're not married - no ring". A few minutes later my husband got out of the water and the man left apologizing. That was the last trip without my wedding jewelry!

Be careful with your rings. When we docked in Nassua.I think that is where we were. We were going through the street market and one of the vendors attempted to steal my wife's ring of her hand. She called him out in front of the other vendors. He said he was only shaking her hand. She asked why did he twist her ring then. It was right at the port. He was a large man.

She had a few the night before and her hand was a little swollen. Beware Ladies if someone is shaking your left hand.

Archived