getting to ferry in new york

we are going on explorer we are staying at hilton garden in on staten island we would like to take the ferry and see sol and ellis island does anyone know how to get tickets and how to get to the ferry much appreciated.

Alrana - that is good info. I believe Statuecruises is where you actually buy your tickets.

grinder172 - what day of the week are you doing this and what time of day? Are you planning to drive and park at the Staten Island Ferry or take the hotel shuttle? The Hilton Garden shuttle should be able to take you to the Staten Island ferry, but you have to arrange it with them directly. Leave plenty of time - the hotel shuttle is primarily for picking folks up at the airport, so that will take priority over folks going to the ferry. People have posted that they have had no problem getting to the Staten Island Ferry from the hotel, but getting back was more of a problem because the shuttle was busy. On the other hand availability of parking may be a concern.

Another option is to buy SOL tickets from NJ and to drive up route 440 from Staten Island across the Bayonne Bridge to the NJ Turnpike exit 14a and go one exit to 14B to Liberty State Park. The bridge toll is $12 rt and the parking is $5 and there's a small turnpike toll - it should take no longer than 30 minutes, if that, to get to the ferry.

You may be able to get to South Ferry in NY for "free", but you have a good chance of paying for it either by lost time or a cab fare.

Depending on the day of the week, it may be possible to go to the SOL from NJ, return to lower Manhattan to explore, take Path back to Exchange Place and the ferry across to Liberty State Park to pick up your car.

Let us know what you're thinking and we can get more details.

The Statue of Liberty is currently closed for renovations. While you can still visit the island, you can't can't go inside the base , museum or statue. It isn't expected to reopen until sometime in the late fall. A reopening date hasn't been announced.

If actually going inside is the main objective of your visit, you may not want to spend the time and money right now. On the other hand, if you'll be satisfied by just being on the grounds, by all means go there.

With the SOL closed, I would just take the Staten Island Ferry, while you do have to get off the Ferry and reenter the waiting room on the Staten Island side you can usually make the next trip back to Manhattan so it is only an hour plus waiting time for the first ferry. Just a shame SOL is closed.

Great views if you are not commuting it every day >G<, oh did I mention its free.

Notice of Closure :http://www.nps.gov/stli/parknews/liberty-island-to-remain-open-during-year-long-renovation.htm

It's my understanding that the Statue itself is closed, but the island is open. You just can't go into the Statue but you can wander the park grounds. Also, the OP is interested in Ellis Island.

What day of the week would you do this? What time of day could you leave Staten Island to go to NY? You need the better part of a day to do both Ellis Island and the SOL unless you're just doing a harbor cruise that goes out to view the two islands.

Please give us as many details as possible so we can give you good advice.

Just a hint - try to get your tickets ahead of time. I am right by Battery Park where the boat leaves from and I see long, long lines every single day - even in bad weather. Though the Statue itself is closed it's nice to visit and Ellis Island is certainly worth the trip in itself. I do believe it is easier to get to the NJ side to make the trip, especially from the Hilton on S.I. Enjoy our great city.:)

Archived