MDR For Lunch

dave_k63

I *think* that Dream still offers Embarkment Lunch in the MDR - not sure as we have never been on her.

I would love it if passengers were able to eat in the MDR for lunch during embarkation - it would probably lessen the mob scene on Lido, and those that enjoy a sit-down lunch could do this.

Thanks everyone for the info. I kind of like lunch in the MDR. It would be especially nice on embarkation day, I agree. I don't know if the comedy brunch thing will be on the Conquest for our next cruise.

Is the MDR for lunch a thing of the past?

sounds like it.

first they close it on port days (made even worse when it's an early afternoon sail).

now, they are converting a breakfast and lunch into a brunch on one of their ships, all while they tell jokes while you're trying to wake up while you're hoping no one is taking your towel out by the pool.

oh well. one less meal to tip for.

personally, i will miss 7 days of rotating menues served to me.

this is a far cry from table service at a designated table with both your designated team of waiters that were specifically there to serve you.

sounds like it.

first they close it on port days (made even worse when it's an early afternoon sail).

now, they are converting a breakfast and lunch into a brunch on one of their ships, all while they tell jokes while you're trying to wake up while you're hoping no one is taking your towel out by the pool.

oh well. one less meal to tip for.

personally, i will miss 7 days of rotating menues served to me.

this is a far cry from table service at a designated table with both your designated team of waiters that were specifically there to serve you.

There is probably a cruise line that still does....

Is the MDR for lunch a thing of the past?

Nope. At least not on Fascination a couple of weeks ago. We did MDR for lunch on one of our sea days (the other sea day we were too lazified to move very far from our loungers :p ) and really enjoyed it. It's great to not have to fight the crowds at the buffet lines, to get in away from the noise and sun for a while, and be waited on instead of serving yourself.

Nope. At least not on Fascination a couple of weeks ago. We did MDR for lunch on one of our sea days (the other sea day we were too lazified to move very far from our loungers :p ) and really enjoyed it. It's great to not have to fight the crowds at the buffet lines, to get in away from the noise and sun for a while, and be waited on instead of serving yourself.

But as the comedy brunch rolls out across the fleet, lunch in the MDR WILL be a thing of the past.

Maggie

Yeah..we like the MDR for lunch also..DH and I both HATE buffets..something very unappetizing about serving food to myself that's been picked over by others beforehand..not to mention the waiting in line and carrying trays to a table...

DH says reminds him too much of being in the service:rolleyes:

But as the comedy brunch rolls out across the fleet, lunch in the MDR WILL be a thing of the past.

Maggie

Not really...the brunch is both breakfast and lunch items on the menu so you can still get lunch in the MDR, just not a rotating menu, which I have heard some ships have already stopped. So, for those looking for a meal that consists of lunch items in the MDR on sea days, YES, it is still available, it will just be called brunch now and have breakfast items available also.

I *think* that Dream still offers Embarkment Lunch in the MDR - not sure as we have never been on her.

I would love it if passengers were able to eat in the MDR for lunch during embarkation - it would probably lessen the mob scene on Lido, and those that enjoy a sit-down lunch could do this.

I so agree with you! There are lots of people who are older that just want to sit and relax, there are plenty of hours to kill before muster. On the other hand, the employees are probably enjoying some well deserved down time.

(jersey girl married to texan)

Not really...the brunch is both breakfast and lunch items on the menu so you can still get lunch in the MDR, just not a rotating menu, which I have heard some ships have already stopped. So, for those looking for a meal that consists of lunch items in the MDR on sea days, YES, it is still available, it will just be called brunch now and have breakfast items available also.

True. But my statement is correct. There will no longer be "lunch" in the MDR, it is replaced by the "brunch."

Here are the lunch type items available during the brunch:

Tomato soup

Caesar salad

Steak and eggs

Mac and cheese

papparadelle pasta with mushroom cream sauce

grilled salmon

chicken alla diavola

Maggie

I have mixed feelings on this one, partially because although I like lunch in the MDR now and then, generally speaking it seems sort of disappointing - service never seems to be up to the same level as dinner, food is hit and miss etc.

Taking away "lunch" and putting "brunch" in it's place...not really a big deal for me personally, but I can see why some people might miss it. Obviously it will be a bit different atmosphere, and the fixed menu means that you may not go quite as often.

That said, if the MDR was packed for lunch constantly, I don't think this is a change that would have been made - the demographic of cruisers is changing, many aren't keen on "wasting time" in the MDR at lunch when they can grab something quickly on the lido. Yes, I'm sure that there are a number of posters who think it's a cutback, maybe it is, but frankly you can't continue to add things without changing and taking others away.

Keep in mind that as 2.0 rolls out, most ships will have added options - like Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina etc., so you won't necessarily be "stuck" with the lido buffet options.

The truth (the sad truth for some) is that Carnival makes their decisions based on their passengers demographics and where those are headed, as well as the bottom line (and why shouldn't they?). If you don't fit that "majority" demographic, it's a case of too bad, so sad for you. Carnival will NEVER be able to make everyone happy, so they're going to concentrate on what the demographic they're after (read that as young, with a lifetime of cruising ahead of them) wants, not what "seasoned" cruisers want.

Archived