Suggestions for watching the June 5th Jubilee from land ?

CruznTom

We are doing the TAs before and after the June 5th Jubilee sailing (spending 5 days around Southampton) and would appreciate any suggestions as to where and how to best view the procession.

If you want to watch the arrival you need to be on the east side of Southampton Water with the early morning sun (if there is any!) at your back. Mayflower park isn't bad but the foreground view can be a little cluttered with pilings and such. The end of the pier at Town Quay is quite good too. If you have transport then I would head for Netley or Hamble where there is free public parking by the riverside.

For the departures and fireworks (?) in the evening you could do worse than cross over to Hythe Pier which gives good views of the QEII Terminal and passing ships. Calshot Spit is also reputed to be a good viewpoint but you won't see the fireworks from there and I can't provide any more detail on that location as I haven't been there myself.

J

I would say Hythe pier, but not on the pier, free parking and satnd or sit on the little walkway there.

we will have the best view from QM2 though.

Calshot is amazing you can see so much, shout over to people on the decks, but no fireworks, there is also the option of a small boat, some are doing food, there will be 100, s of them there and booking still be taking

I would say Hythe pier, but not on the pier, free parking and satnd or sit on the little walkway there.

we will have the best view from QM2 though.

Calshot is amazing you can see so much, shout over to people on the decks, but no fireworks, there is also the option of a small boat, some are doing food, there will be 100, s of them there and booking still be taking

As far as Calshot is concerned it's worth bearing in mind that, with a scheduled sailing time of 2200hrs, by the time the ships pass the Spit it will be fully dark. Not a problem for viewing but it makes photography tricky.

J

Hi Tom

Mayflower park would be the easiest if you are staying in the town.There is a Thai restaurant to the left of it with outside decking and waterfront views. I will be getting on as you get off so look after her for me.

Fran

The arrival is no problem, as we will be on QM2.

Hythe seems great, but the last ferry leaves at 20:10 and I'm not inclined to spend the night until 6AM when the first one leaves the next morning.

Hi Fran - yes, we are staying in town. Thai and Mayflower sounds like the best bet so far.

As far as Calshot is concerned it's worth bearing in mind that, with a scheduled sailing time of 2200hrs, by the time the ships pass the Spit it will be fully dark. Not a problem for viewing but it makes photography tricky.

J

True, but amazing views

all good suggestions many thanks hythe pier would be good but staying in town. rtrying to organise a dinner at la margharita at 1900 on 5th let me know if any are interested

dave

Have you seen the trip advisor reviews? Link

I know - I must make the effort to pay a visit to Calshot before too much longer.

J

Always nice to go there, nice bar / cafe in the rock climbing building, the caravaners and people who watch the ships all seem to be people who cruise, you can spend hours watching the ships and chatting

Always nice to go there, nice bar / cafe in the rock climbing building, the caravaners and people who watch the ships all seem to be people who cruise, you can spend hours watching the ships and chatting

A cafe eh? You've got my attention now - I can't think of a single spot that I visit regularly to photograph ships that has anything resembling a cafe anywhere within walking distance. I think I can give the rock climbing thing a body swerve though :eek:

J

The arrival is no problem, as we will be on QM2.

Hythe seems great, but the last ferry leaves at 20:10 and I'm not inclined to spend the night until 6AM when the first one leaves the next morning.

Hi Fran - yes, we are staying in town. Thai and Mayflower sounds like the best bet so far.

Last year I took a car/driver from Southampton terminal to Blackfield, a little past the Hythe ferry and it was £28 that was daytime, but even at night it would not be a lot more. I can look up the co. if you want me to.

Last year I took a car/driver from Southampton terminal to Blackfield, a little past the Hythe ferry and it was £28 that was daytime, but even at night it would not be a lot more. I can look up the co. if you want me to.

Thank you for the offer, but I have since found that Southampton is having festivities at Mayflower Park and we'll probably take it easy and just stay in town. Link

Thanks again for the offer.

Archived