Costa Fascinosa advice

namklis

Hi- this is my first post :)

We are booked on the Fascinosa on 25 June from Venice.

I've previously cruised on the Norwegian Epic and could prebook my shows, dining etc.

Does anyone know if this can be done with Costa. We are said to only receive our documents 21 days prior to departure.

Also is it worth purchasing the all inclusive drinks for my kids? Are the soft drinks on board expensive.

Thanks for the advice.

my 1st piece of advice would be to create an account on costa.com.

you cannot pre-book shows, but can prebook excursions. softdrinks were 2.5 euros last time i cruised (if memory serves) but i did purchase a package. well worth the price. not sure if you can pre-book spcialty dining, but that is not my thing. i think the MDR food is fine.

I've previously cruised on the Norwegian Epic and could prebook my shows, dining etc.

Does anyone know if this can be done with Costa. We are said to only receive our documents 21 days prior to departure.

Also is it worth purchasing the all inclusive drinks for my kids? Are the soft drinks on board expensive.

Thanks for the advice.

As my report you have 2 options for dining, you cannot precook, shows first come first served. Yes all inclusive for the kids drinks a good idea, and possibly all inclusive drinks package for yourselves too.

Thanks for the advice.

All passengers (including children) have to have to pruchase the all inclusive drinks package. So it is either none or all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the advice.

We are on this cruise early Oct - how did you find it? Our first cruise too :)

Hi, we're booked on this cruise 22nd October. Only ever cruised with Azamara and Royal Carribean so not sure what to expect.

Does anyone have any feedback for this ship?

Thanks

A few words about Costa Fascinosa and my experience with her sister ship Costa Favolosa.

At the moment, these two ships are the latest, the most advanced and the best representatives of a big family of cruise ships based on Carnival Destiny class (1996).

Costa Fascinosa at Venice the day of her maiden voyage.

15hil2c.jpg

Over the years this class of ships has undergone dramatic changes in upper decks configuration.

The latest improvement that immediately distinguishes Favolosa/Fascinosa is the new "Princessized" design of the stern.

Costa Fascinosa:

302na02.jpg

You will find a spotlessly clean new cruise ship with beautiful front observation decks. One of them is a classic observation deck with wings (above the bridge).

Make sure you are there when leaving Venice.

More great views are available from almost everywhere on upper open decks and the stern.

There will be three pools, one tiny pool for children, a water slide.

The aft pool is for adults only.

Balconies are not large but all have unobstructed views. No annoying lifeboats on front of your eyes.

Balcony cabins are spacious.

The only area where this ship does not shine is promenade deck.

Unfortunately there is no full wrap-around promenade as it must be on a true cruise ship. There are only two "strips" (nicely looking though) along both sides of the ship.

2u760wz.jpg

Inside you will find a huge atrium and a labyrinth of uncountable lounges.

Decor - subdued crazy eclectic of a typical Carnival ship.

Overall by the size and design Fascinosa is quite impressive and can be compared to RCI Voyager Class with the note that Fascinosa is more advanced technologically.

Azamara is a miserable floating sink in comparison with Fascinosa.

Now not so good news.

This almost great (but promenade deck!:mad:) cruise ship is operated by one of the worst cruise lines.

The level of the food service I found on Costa is the worst, poorest I have ever seen on a cruise ship.

The buffet is closed for dinner (only restaurants are open). During the day the buffet selection is just miserable. Primitive, cheap, tastless.

There is no alternative dining venues included in the price.

There is one extra fee restaurant.

The whole concept is geared towards drinking/smoking/dancing rather than dining.

The only ray of sunshine in the darkness is Samsara complex.

This includes Samsara spa with steam rooms, absolutely beautiful relaxation rooms and hydro pool (which is good but unfortunately not as good as one on HAL ships)

Also included: separate Samsara restaurant and "Samsara class" cabins (all types from inside cabines to suites presented) with the access to all Samsara privileges.

Samsara package ("Dream Package" - 400 Euros for 7 days) can be purchased separately by anyone.

That will give you unlimited access to Samsara spa features including two treatments of your choice and also to Samsara restaurant (breakfast, lunch, dinner). You will be able to choose anything from two menus - Samsara and MDR.

Samsara menu is a kind of "heathier", somewhat "more interesting" but not "better" than MDR. It gives you more variety.

Samsara people and service were outstanding.

Shows - be prepared to see the least professional shows at sea.

Fellow travelers.

Multinational. Mostly from Italy.

Lots of smoking.

A historical moment. The Costa Fascinosa is commencing her maiden voyage:

2uqfxis.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Hi, we're booked on this cruise 22nd October. Only ever cruised with Azamara and Royal Carribean so not sure what to expect.

Does anyone have any feedback for this ship?

Thanks

welcome to cruise critic. I haven't been on that ship but i would suggest you read a few of the threads here on the main page to familiarize yourself with costa. if you have specific questions - start a new thread. enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CtheW0rld

Thanks for the repsonses and pictures, very helpful indeed :)

Not sure I like the idea of people smoking in public places, so used to not having it anymore.

Thanks again, and I will create my own post in future

Thanks for the repsonses and pictures, very helpful indeed :)

Not sure I like the idea of people smoking in public places, so used to not having it anymore.

Thanks again, and I will create my own post in future

you should've done better research before booking. you couldn't have made a worse choice. costa is the most liberal line sailing today. smoking is not allowed everywhere, but it will be evident. couple that with the demographics costa caters too - there will be a higher percentage of smokers.

Edited by CtheW0rld

I honestly didn't do any research as this as its a very cheap holiday booked last minute, as we've already had our main cruise this year. I'm sure it'll be fine for the amount it cost and if it is as bad as possibly suggested, I won't choose Costa again (bargain or not) :confused:

Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised but if not, we're in ports everyday bar 1 so we'll be out and about exploring. Thanks for the comments, they are all helpful

We will be sailing on the Fascinosa in 12 days and I guess I'll form my own opinions then. We sailed the Fortuna in the Caribbean a couple of years ago. That was our first (and up till now only) experience on Costa after 13 previous cruises on other lines (Crystal, RCI, HAL, Princess, Celebrity). At that time, before sailing, I read all the same dire warnings about smoking and bad food and how awful everything would be. Yes, there was smoking (we are non-smokers) and yes, the food was not particularly exciting, but we loved the dancing and the shows and the overall fun vibe on the ship. All told a throroughly wonderful cruise.

Edited by Projunior

I am going a week after you, Projunior, and I am looking very must forward to go. I have been cruising with MSC Cruises 2 times and have enjoyed it very must both times,and there are getting the same reviwes as Costa. So I am not worried at all. Come with a big smile and I am sure that you will have a blast ;-) ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marando. We are also booked on this cruise flying from Gatwick. Went on Norweigan Epic 2 months ago and hope to have an equally good time on Fascinosa. I really want to look forward to it and so have taken the negative comments as the personal view of the author and hope that I will see things differently. Ive got a positive outlook on most things so I'm determined to have a good time. Hope to see you!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Just wondering how Marando found the ship now that I am only a few days away from boarding the Fascinosa :-)

Now I am wondering how you did find the ship? I'm close to booking a November '14 cruise from Italy to Greece and Croatia.

We will be sailing on the Fascinosa in 12 days and I guess I'll form my own opinions then. We sailed the Fortuna in the Caribbean a couple of years ago. That was our first (and up till now only) experience on Costa after 13 previous cruises on other lines (Crystal, RCI, HAL, Princess, Celebrity). At that time, before sailing, I read all the same dire warnings about smoking and bad food and how awful everything would be. Yes, there was smoking (we are non-smokers) and yes, the food was not particularly exciting, but we loved the dancing and the shows and the overall fun vibe on the ship. All told a throroughly wonderful cruise.

I totally agree.

I was on the Fortuna, TA, FLL to Savona in 2009

Was also on the Fascinosa, TA, Santos Brazil to Venice March/April 2013.

Beautiful ship. Lots of fun. Get the drink package!