Grocery or drug store near MIA?

ladyluck27

Is there a grocery or drug store near/in the Miami airport, or possibly on the way from the airport to the port?

We'd like to avoid checking luggage, so will need to buy sunscreen (we'll need more than what fits in our 3-1-1 with other toiletries), which I'm sure is crazy expensive on the ship. If we're stopping we also may pick up sodas.

Don't buy anything at the airport.

Your cabbie can easily stop on the way to the port. Have your list ready and move thru the store quickly. You can stop at any Walgreens, CVS etc if you aren't looking for more than sun screen and soda. When you get your cab at the airport, discuss the stop with the driver so you are in agreement what you need to do and approximate cost. A cost will be added to the approx $25 ride to the port.

Flying in the day of your cruise? You are already living on the edge! :eek:

Some have reported success in negotiating with the driver for a $10 tip on top of the flat rate fare in exchange for a quick shopping stop. Why a tip instead of a higher fare you ask? :confused: Because the driver keeps all of his tips, but splits the cab fare with the cab company. ;)

Good luck! :)

Some have reported success in negotiating with the driver for a $10 tip on top of the flat rate fare in exchange for a quick shopping stop. Why a tip instead of a higher fare you ask? :confused: Because the driver keeps all of his tips, but splits the cab fare with the cab company. ;)

Good luck! :)

Good tip, John!

Don't buy anything at the airport.

Your cabbie can easily stop on the way to the port. Have your list ready and move thru the store quickly. You can stop at any Walgreens, CVS etc if you aren't looking for more than sun screen and soda. When you get your cab at the airport, discuss the stop with the driver so you are in agreement what you need to do and approximate cost. A cost will be added to the approx $25 ride to the port.

I agree but make sure your cost to stop and shop is not more than checking in a piece of luggage. It may be cheaper to pay the baggage fee and check in a piece of luggage than to pay extra to stop and shop.

I agree but make sure your cost to stop and shop is not more than checking in a piece of luggage. It may be cheaper to pay the baggage fee and check in a piece of luggage than to pay extra to stop and shop.

waaaat? a tube of suncreen (basic -not that gourmet stuff) is about $8.00 at my CVS in downtown Miami..... it'll cost $10 onboard $15 at the most. You want to make an extra stop to save $7.00? and possibly have to give $10 to a cabbie? Or $25 to the airline?

Buy a tube when you get onboard, or at the airport and if it gets low, buy one while at a port of call.

Agree with above if just needing tan cream. But if you are looking to pick up soda too then have the cab wait.

You can find lots of places to pick up tan creams along the cruise. And honestly they aren't that more expensive. I have picked up bottles several times, when we have run out. And it's not more than a couple dollars more. You might not find all the brands you see at home tho.

I assumed there would be more of a markup on the ship, and 4 super pale people need a lot of sunscreen down in the Caribbean. But, now that I've thought about it more, we can get some at Key West, our first port the next day.

Good tip, John!

However, should the driver decide to obey the law and not risk his or her job and a fine, stopping enroute will negate the flat fee and place the entire ride on a distance-and-time fare basis.

waaaat? a tube of suncreen (basic -not that gourmet stuff) is about $8.00 at my CVS in downtown Miami..... it'll cost $10 onboard $15 at the most. You want to make an extra stop to save $7.00? and possibly have to give $10 to a cabbie? Or $25 to the airline?

Buy a tube when you get onboard, or at the airport and if it gets low, buy one while at a port of call.

This was my point. If a cab stops at CVS and you pay $8-$10 per bottle for 3 bottles of sunscreen thinking you are saving money but still have to pay the driver extra to stop at the store....well you may as well just buy it on the ship or in a port of call.

Archived