Purchase pearls on Taha'a, good idea or not?

mllcal

Someone mentioned that a good place to purchase pearls was on Taha'a at the small vendors. Do they require cash and, if so, only accept XPF? Is there a good selection? What is the benefit/downside of not going to a more established dealer like Tahia Collins or Ron Hall?

The pearls and other items for sale on the Motu, including the Vanilla, were quite nice. They took US or XPF. IMHO if you are looking for something that looks nice and is a momento of your trip the motu is a fine place to purchase pearls. If you are looking for quality jewelry that may cost more than about $100 - $200 I would purchase from a more established place.

I am with Flight Medic. You can buy the cheap pearls on Motu Mahana but I would buy the good ones from a reputable shop.

Actually further down the beach there are some vendors of expensive pearls that have exquisite pearls. I loved a pair of earrings but at 15,000 I thought it was too much. They told me since they considered them works of art the price was artificial! They also had some 50,000 to 100,000 necklaces so its not that all their stuff is cheap and they do come with certificates.

For my expensive stuff I bought at Ron Hall's island Fashion in Moorea, Tahia's boutique on the ship and at Robert Wan's store. Do your research before you go.

There are some quality pearls there. Like elsewhere you need to know what you want and what is good quality and pricing. I thought there was a wide selection on the beach. Don't miss the vanilla farmer there. I bought some vanilla body lotion there that was wonderful.

Agree with the other posters - Motu pearls are OK for the inexpensive souvenirs but if you want quality, stick with the named stores. Robert Wan has exceptional pieces and sometimes some sales.

I'll remember to carry my credit card!;) I've done a little research, and I can't wait to see them as works of art, but im probably not going to make an investment. The Tahaa might be the perfect place to pick up a souvenir for my daughters!

Family,

I would suggest the Robert Wan store on BB or elsewhere. They have a nice selection of single or double pearl necklaces on leather within $100-$200. Nicely made and a unique souvenir. The pearls are baroque and fun. DD loved getting a couple last year and I am sure your daughters would love them too.

Family,

I would suggest the Robert Wan store on BB or elsewhere. They have a nice selection of single or double pearl necklaces on leather within $100-$200. Nicely made and a unique souvenir. The pearls are baroque and fun. DD loved getting a couple last year and I am sure your daughters would love them too.

I'll check that out! I think they'd prefer baroque style.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your input. I'll post on this site when we return and let you know what we discovered. I would like to purchase a good quality necklace for myself and souvenirs for my daughters, so all your information has been very helpful. Emdee, you've been a jewel with all your postings answering questions about so many different topics. Thank you so much! One last question (at least I hope it's the last!), what do you think of Tahia Collins pearls versus the other high end jewelers like Ron Hall and Robert Wan? We will be spending a few days before the cruise on Moorea, and I believe that's where Tahia Collins has her main store. I'd like to be able to shop without hurrying or feeling that I must make a quick decision.

mllcal,

All three are very good.

Island Fashion - Ron Hall will give you a wonderful explanation and appreciation for pearls so would suggest you see him first. He came to Moorea with Peter Fonda and stayed behind. I have bought a number of loose pearls from him and especially some of my favourite keishi pearls. He will give you the soft sell and not hustle you like some of the shops. He will send a van for you if you want and his van is usually at the dock when PG in in port. If you need a good van and driver ask him for Teva's details and if possible please post these on the board for me. I have lost Teva's email address.

Tahia Collins store - the name has now changed I think?? will also send you transport. I find their settings more elaborate and modern. More jewellery pieces than pearl pieces if you know what I mean. A number of her designs got their inspiration (IMO) from the pearl designing contests. I bought my full strand from her.

Robert Wan - specializes more in the wacky and wonderful though he has the traditional stuff as well. DD bought some economical necklaces from him and I have bought a nice pair of earrings. The Robert Wan store in Moorea is in the Hilton.

DD loves some of the pearl jewellers near the dock in BB but I havent visited them.

I took several trips to buy my strand. I waited until something really called out to me. If you are buying a full strand then you really have to think of what size/colour/shape does it for you. Mine is multicoloured in the range of blues greens and greys including beige and silver. The perfect all one colour and all one size didnt do it for me though they are more expensive. I went for colour and lustre instead of perfection.

If you are buying a major purchase then I would also ask for a discount. Tahia gave me 7.5% off but I understand that some people give up to 10% and more.

Thanks again, Emdee. I'll take all your information with me and try to track down Teva for you. I'd like an island tour one of our free days, so I'll try to use him as a guide/driver, too. My husband (is that a DH??) and I love meeting local people and learning about the culture from them. It's great having a good recommendation from a reliable source. Searching for the perfect pearl necklace is going to be fun, and I'm glad to have the information to help me make a better decision.

Mllcal,

If you dont find the pearls that absolutely call you ... defer the decision and visit FP again. The flu may strike again after all and in 2014 I am planning a PG lovers cruise!

Great advice again, Emdee! I understand exactly what you're saying and am awaiting the call of a beautiful pearl. If that means returning to FP -- what a great excuse to revisit paradise. I'm sure we'll be bitten by the FP flu!

We bought several inexpensive pearl pendants for our daughters at different vendors by the different ports but we got an incredible pearl necklace for myself that consisted of flawless pearls at OPEC in Bora Bora. They will come down in price if you are willing to put in the time to bargain hard. The pearls were all x-rayed and came with a certificate stating their quality.

WOW! Everyone has their own opinion so I'll give you mine. Everytime my BH and myself go to FP (trip #19 this year) she buys her bag of marbles as I like to call it. We've never purchased from the high end shops as my BH would prefer to get her bag of marbles verses getting one. I'm sure the quality is fantastic at the high end places compared to many of the mom & pop venders. With that being said I can tell you that some of the pearls my BH has purchased over the years for around $50 are worth much more than paid. My BH will bring her bag of marbles to her favorite jeweler when we return and often she has some pearls that are worth $500 - $800 each.

With that being said the pearls/jewelry at the motu are priced high compared to purchasing elsewhere. If you are looking for good quality jewelry with pearls at a very fair price I would point you to Eimeo on the island of Moorea Beths.jpg

If you want to purchase loose pearls I would tell you to go to Mihiarii Pearls in downtown Papeete close to the Marche. IMG_3401.jpg

Archived