Skagway bike ride down White Pass

rickandpat

i wish i could give you the exact location of a reply i read on one of the boards about this tour ( it might be this one ). it was very negative and said that it was very dangerous and they wished it would be omitted from choices for tours. the road is very steep with many curves and there is allot of travic from cars and buses doing tours. please do a search for this tour here on the boards and see if you can read more about it. i hope i have not seemed to negative for you but it does not seem like a very safe tour to do.

We (against my better judgement) chose this. My husband, who is an avid bike rider, is very excited. I, however, will ride in the van the follows the bikes down. There's no way I'd feel comfortable going at a high speed down a cliff. DH does that kind of stuff all the time, so he's going to go for it.

I did this several years ago when a big ship was 40,000 gt. and it was a very busy day with 3 ships in port :) I would not repeat it. NO bike paths, now heavy traffic and several steep sections.

I am an avid rider too. You can rent a bicycle in Skagway at Sockeye Bicycles and tool around Skagway. If I do have time to ride, that is what I plan to do.

I didn't save the link, but I know there is one, if you do a search.

I have rented bikes in Skagway and rode out toward Dyea, a wonderful scenic ride. Mostly flat and can do all or part of the 9 miles. Nice to ride through town too for a look at residential life.

I agree with BQ, the trip to Dyea is a much better choice. I have a small car and have almost been run over by motorhomes a couple of times. Skagway is the terminus for the ferry for RV's coming up from and departing to the Lower 48 - think really generationally challenged people driving a 45+' block of steel down a narrow twisting road while having an argument. Just because an excursion is available doesn't always mean it's safe or wise or both. A number of tourists are killed in Alaska every summer hiking, rafting, flying, boating, etc.

>>I have rented bikes in Skagway and rode out toward Dyea, a wonderful scenic ride. Mostly flat and can do all or part of the 9 miles.<<

Not this year - the road is in the midst of very heavy construction, including lots of blasting. Add dust/traffic due to the new Dyea Jeep tour by Frontier, and this road gets removed from my list of things to do.

MurraY

>>I have rented bikes in Skagway and rode out toward Dyea, a wonderful scenic ride. Mostly flat and can do all or part of the 9 miles.<<

Not this year - the road is in the midst of very heavy construction, including lots of blasting. Add dust/traffic due to the new Dyea Jeep tour by Frontier, and this road gets removed from my list of things to do.

MurraY

Thanks for the update- that is too bad. But what about all the "cruise tours" out of there??? Another negative for their horseback riding? :(

Archived