Family's first cruise, how to keep them as excited as I am?

taraysee

According to the carnival website, our ship sails in 200 days! My DS's (6 and 8) are really excited for their first cruise as is my DH.

200 days seems like a really long time! Wondering if anyone has any pre-cruise ideas to keep the kids excited?

Thanks!

Somebody on here said that they would cut out ships or some sort of object out of paper and hand them around their house then each day they would take one down. So you would make 200 of them and every day you would have one of your kids take off a piece...:)

We made paper chains for our first cruise == but I think we started at 100 days or something like that.

Depending on how old your kids are -- you might have them do research on the countries and ports you are visiting and let them help make decisions on what to do in each port. My 8 year old daughter loved learning about Mexican culture, history and Geography before we visited Cozumel.

Despite all those activities -- the kids and hubby were never as excited about the cruise then I was -- I learned to accept that. Everyone ended up LOVING it, and we are already booked for 2 more!

Missy

depending upon where you will be visiting and what boat you are on: find videos of both on youtube to get them excited..I know for us our first confrontation with a cruise ship in Miami was unbelievable.

depending upon where you will be visiting and what boat you are on: find videos of both on youtube to get them excited..I know for us our first confrontation with a cruise ship in Miami was unbelievable.

Yes and along with You tube you can go to Flicker Shutterbug and just google images to find photos to look at. :D

One other thing you can do is start a change savings bucket. Find something extravagant and fun to do, like a special excursion, then put all your change in a bucket, (You could get a fun kids sand box bucket) right before your cruise go to the bank and change in your change to see if you saved enough. Last time we got 309$ saved. (we had two years)

According to the carnival website, our ship sails in 200 days! My DS's (6 and 8) are really excited for their first cruise as is my DH.

200 days seems like a really long time! Wondering if anyone has any pre-cruise ideas to keep the kids excited?

Thanks!

6 and 8 and they are really excited:D:D!....Chill. Life will go on and maybe you should scale back the excitement just a bit. Trying to keep 2 kids that young on the edge of excitement that long can wear you and them down. The more you talk about it the more they want it and the longer the wait is for them. It would be the same as if you talked about birthdays or Christmas all year round. Wait a bit, say 2 months or so before, and by then you might come up with some fun projects to keep it exciting and fresh. Just keep them focused on the now and the vacation excitement will be there for them later. Just my HO.

I agree with all the ideas here but at a later date. :)

I made countdown chains at 200 days out for my 7 yr old daughter, 7 & 11 yr old nieces. I think I am the only one who actually pulls the chain off everyday. I printed the deck plans for our ship, pictures of the cabana we have rented and the kid's menus. They are excited but still not as much as I am.

Thanks!

youtube! I'd try to show them a new video every couple of days. search for your ship name, the ports you'll be in, any excursions or activities you'll do. Give them a little taste every few days. I've been doing that myself cuz I just can't resist :)

although 200 days is a long time for kids that age. I would wait til a month or 2 before

If they don't stay excited on their own.....not sure what the cure is! Everyone deals with their excitement in their own way.....sometimes it's best just to let them have their own way!

Sometimes, over-talking something takes away the "magic"....don't do that to them!

Archived