Summer Must Haves

Hey all :) Being an overachiever, and being super duper excited about the cruise, I'm compiling my packing list for the cruise, after I go summer shopping on a later date, it will be EXACT. ie: sundress short will eventually change into such and such color/pattern by such and such designer.

So on my quest to fulfill my packing list, what are your packing essentials and/or summer favorites? Not just by saying"flip flops" but tell me what kind of flip flops and why ect. Well I guess the why is asking a little much :rolleyes: but I'm trying to figure out exactly what kind of clothes I want to buy, especially a new swim suit!

I'm a teenager, so I'm definitely looking for more youthful attire. Thanks!

Hi! I am 19, so hopefully I can give you some "youthful" insight :)

Shoes: I CANNOT get by without wedges. I bring 2 pairs, one is a bronze color that matches most of my clothes and the other is a lavender color that I just like :) They are comfy and easy to walk in but dress up a cute sundress.

Dresses: They are essential to every cruise for me, I love wearing dresses! For my upcoming cruise, my sister and I, who wear the same size, bought this muti-way dress from Victoria's Secret and will each wear it for a formal night a different way. Minimizes packing and saves money, but it's still a gorgeous dress! Also, maxi dresses are a MUST for cruises!

Cover-Ups: I bought this cover-up from American Eagle because it is cute but appropriate to go eat lunch (since you can't just wear a bathing suit or see-through). I would also feel comfortable walking around port in, so it's practical.

Shorts & Skirts: In case you won't be in a bathing suit all day, I bring a few shorts. This season I bought a few bright colored ones that will be fun and perfect for a summer cruise. Skirts are also something you wear during the day and at night. I like to wear a skirt the first day so it looks cute when we board but it's not that dress.

Hopefully this helps!

I'm 20 and in college, so I suppose I can also contribute to "youthful" looks, though I steer clear of the 'teeny-bopper' stores such as Hollister/American Eagle/Aeropostale - sometimes, I'll pick up some shorts from Abercrombie & Fitch, but it's been a while.

Dresses

I wear sundresses on casual nights. I just bought this Lilly Pulitzer dress through a Flash Sale on RueLaLa - so cute and nautical!

1411754519_RLLD_1.jpg

"Blossom" (last season)

Shoes

I have these Jessica Simpson sandals that I love in three colors (black, white, and metallic)

1511752842_RLLZ_1.jpg

"Nora 2" - they are kids' - I have tiny feet

Really want these shoes. I'm typically not a fan of wedges, so this is a chunky heel that could be worn in place of a wedge. Hopefully I can pair it with my Lilly dress.

_6910396.jpg

MICHAEL Michael Kors 'Grace' Sandal

If you don't have one already, get a nude pump! They go with almost everything - dress them up, dress them down. I don't see this trend going out of style anytime soon.

pelle-moda-nude-pump.jpg

Swimsuits

I'm a little lacking in the booty, so I really appreciate Victoria's Secret cheeky/Brazilian bottoms:

V338418.jpg

But, I also like string bikini bottoms because they make my legs appear longer.

V336953.jpg

I also buy some cheap neon Wet Seal swimsuits every year. Beware: these suits are not intended to last more than one swim season!

Now - do you have a Pinterest? I recommend that you go "shopping" and just pin things that catch your eye, no matter the price. Just pin, pin, pin - then look at your boards and see what you're drawn to. A certain color? Is your style more tailored? Bohemian? Glamorous?

I also suggest that you don't get caught up on exact brands and stores. If you think that you want one particular item, it could be really disappointing if they are out of stock or it just doesn't fit right or suit your body type. I'd also describe myself as an overachiever, and I used to get really caught up in making sure I purchased things from the "right" stores - and it usually ended up with me crying in the dressing room. Don't do that to yourself. The best thing you can do is learn to be flexible. Know what you like and learn what suits your body type. I've become so practiced in the dress industry that I can look at the cut of something in a picture or on a hanger and tell if it will look good on me.

Know your assets, and be proud. I'm very chesty, and I used to try to cover that up and pretend like I could wear the same things as my B-cup friends. Looking back at pictures, I looked awful - the outfits I chose just accentuated the fact that I was busty. Now I look for sweetheart necklines - a cut that is much more flattering on me than straight-across. I have a tiny waist, so I will choose clothes that are either tight throughout, fitted to the waist, or I'll cinch a loose dress right on my waistline.

Now, don't be afraid to try on things that you don't think will look good on you. There are two possible outcomes 1) you were right, and have a good sense of judgement or 2) you were wrong, but look totally amazing!

Also, while it's fun to get the new trendy must-haves, also look for classics that will always be in style. Color is fun, but invest in black and white and neutral metallics such as gold, bronze, and silver. Spend a little more on your "investment" pieces if you think you'll be able to wear this for years to come.

And don't forget - you're young! Have fun with color. Try new things. And always have a sense of humor - never take yourself too seriously.

Good luck with shopping! :) And have a great time on your cruise!!

Thanks everyone! I seriously hate shopping now :( I love the idea of it, but whenever I go I find that clothes are getting smaller and prices are getting higher. I'm a pretty average build, but have massive hips, always have. I love just wearing friends clothes, because I am really not great at shopping for myself. I find stuff I like and try it on to find it doesn't look good on. Last time I went shopping was in January and I didn't even buy anything! I ALWAYS used to shop at Hollister and Abercrombie and fitch, but now the tops are too small in the bust and the shorts are just way too short for my liking. Any suggestions?

For a variety of clothes on a budget, I recommend Forever 21, Delia's, and H&M. I also like to look through Wet Seal, Body Shop, Papaya, Old Navy (they have great shorts of all inseams), and Gap.

Now, if I want to spend a little more money, I love Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Express, and White House Black Market.

Then my splurges are Lilly Pulitzer, Sherri Hill (formal gowns), Betsey Johnson, and Ralph Lauren.

Those teenie bopper stores - Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister - are evil. First of all, you have to shop in the dark. With loud music playing and obnoxious cologne contaminating the store. Second, they want you to feel terrible about your body. They hang up posters of half-naked guys with their pants sagging wayyyy too low in the front. How, exactly, is that advertising clothing? And third, they aren't even fashionable! Hoochie mama shorts aren't cute, and they aren't even in style.

For fashion inspiration, look to Vogue, Teen Vogue, Allure, Marie Claire, and Harper's Bazaar. And then also check out fashion blogs. I'll share a few of my favorites - superficialgirls.com, thestylishwanderer.blogspot.com, thestylerookie.com, and karlascloset.com

And finally, don't focus on your flaws - focus on your assets! What do you love about yourself? Show that off!

I'm older than you (27) but I'm hippy too. My advice to you is to avoid bottoms in the juniors department. I can do tops and dresses galore there but I don't even bother looking at shorts or jeans. I don't think I have since middle school. Juniors skirts can be hit or miss. For bottoms, I find Old Navy jeans fit me well, specifically sweetheart fit in bootcut and diva fit in skinny. A lot of my shorts are sonoma brand from Kohl's. Don't get too discouraged. You just need to find the brands and styles that work for you.

And like Little Miss Magic said, focus on your assets. Even supermodels' bodies aren't perfect.

I wish I could just take one of you shopping with me! Somehow my friends can find way more things than I can :P I think I'm going to look into the blogs and try and look into more "boutique" clothing. They tend to be cheaper, and more unique. Thanks for all the advice so far its really helpful!

As for bathing suits, what do you recommend for a style for me? I normally just get the typical triangle string, but I've noticed much more unique styles coming out. I'm fairly tall, have an average bust, really big hips, and a big booty. I have some extra flab in my tummy I'm trying to get rid of, but I've having a dilemma. I know if I go for the thicker strapped bottoms it evens out my hips compared to my legs, but everyone is saying how the strings make your legs look longer? I'm really not concerned about enhancing or hiding my bust, just controlling my hips and bum!

If you have hips, boy shorts will probably only cut you off at the widest part of your thigh. Try to look for a bikini bottom or brief in a solid color and pair it with a colorful top. Try different styles of tops to see what works. Also, don't be afraid to go up a size for bottoms than what you think you need. That might be how you'll get the needed coverage. Skirted bottoms at the right length might be good for you too. Adding interest with pattern, color or details on yor top can deaw the eyes up.

For a variety of clothes on a budget, I recommend Forever 21, Delia's, and H&M. I also like to look through Wet Seal, Body Shop, Papaya, Old Navy (they have great shorts of all inseams), and Gap.

Now, if I want to spend a little more money, I love Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Express, and White House Black Market.

Then my splurges are Lilly Pulitzer, Sherri Hill (formal gowns), Betsey Johnson, and Ralph Lauren.

Those teenie bopper stores - Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister - are evil. First of all, you have to shop in the dark. With loud music playing and obnoxious cologne contaminating the store. Second, they want you to feel terrible about your body. They hang up posters of half-naked guys with their pants sagging wayyyy too low in the front. How, exactly, is that advertising clothing? And third, they aren't even fashionable! Hoochie mama shorts aren't cute, and they aren't even in style.

For fashion inspiration, look to Vogue, Teen Vogue, Allure, Marie Claire, and Harper's Bazaar. And then also check out fashion blogs. I'll share a few of my favorites - superficialgirls.com, thestylishwanderer.blogspot.com, thestylerookie.com, and karlascloset.com

And finally, don't focus on your flaws - focus on your assets! What do you love about yourself? Show that off!

You forgot to mention Charlotte Russe . I love their tops and for junior clothes they fit me and i don't look like I'm trying to be 18 again. I forgot to get club wear for cruise. I also score at my local Burlington Coat factory and Marshall's nice maxi and evening dress selection.

Like others said, definitely look at Old Navy, particularly around this time of year. I just had to buy several pairs of khaki shorts for an organization I am in at school and Old Navy was perfect. I almost never wear shorts because they typically fit me odd and don't stay put, but Old Navy shorts are comfy, inexpensive and made well.

A bit of advice from a girl with hips as well, try a belt to cinch at the waist, it makes your waist look smaller and balances out your hips a bit. It works for me and may be worth trying.

Shopping for vacations should be fun, remember that! :)

I wish I could just take one of you shopping with me! Somehow my friends can find way more things than I can :P I think I'm going to look into the blogs and try and look into more "boutique" clothing. They tend to be cheaper, and more unique. Thanks for all the advice so far its really helpful!

As for bathing suits, what do you recommend for a style for me? I normally just get the typical triangle string, but I've noticed much more unique styles coming out. I'm fairly tall, have an average bust, really big hips, and a big booty. I have some extra flab in my tummy I'm trying to get rid of, but I've having a dilemma. I know if I go for the thicker strapped bottoms it evens out my hips compared to my legs, but everyone is saying how the strings make your legs look longer? I'm really not concerned about enhancing or hiding my bust, just controlling my hips and bum!

If you're trying to minimize hips, you actually want to a boy cut style bottom, even though it provides more coverage. The hem of boy-cut bottoms hits at the widest part of the thigh, drawing attention to that area. A high-cut bottom (like string) gives the illustion of longer, leaner legs.

You could also try to draw the attention upward by choosing a darker, solid bottom and a brighter, busier top. Mix-and-match tops and bottoms are quite popular right now.

Something like this, perhaps, except with a string bottom:

V338349.jpg

Or this...

V334121.jpg

It sounds like you can really do anything with the top, but if you like triangle tops, stick with that. You could also use that as an opportunity to have fun with different cuts.

Oh I love Marshalls and TJ Maxx :) I used to be a cult follower of Charlotte Russe. So the strings won't make my hips look funny because they are wider than my thighs? I was always afraid it would draw attention to the curves of my hips more. I don't really like the term "love handles" for my age, but I mean, thats what they are :( There is like a little dip from my hip to thigh and I always thinks it looks SO funky. I love VS swim so I'll try that :) Especially during september ish when all of their swim is discounted hehe

String bottoms actually minimize love handles because you can adjust the tightness - just don't tie them too tight. It's when you have the elastic band that the 'love handles' spill over (ew, I hate how that sounds, too). Try them on and see what you think - it's all about what you feel comfortable in.

I agree - September is a good time to shop. Right now, VS is offering free shipping for purchases of $50 or more. That promo ends tomorrow.

Didn't know that! I'm planning on waiting almost until my cruise, I've been taking hula classes, and now that my AP classes are over, I have time to run again :) Thank you for your fabulous advice! You are a great help, and I'm excited to start shopping :)

Not sure if this will count as hijacking my own thread, but I was thinking of a small cross body would be best while in port? I only have gigantic totes and I'm afraid of being pic-pocketed!

Not sure if this will count as hijacking my own thread, but I was thinking of a small cross body would be best while in port? I only have gigantic totes and I'm afraid of being pic-pocketed!

I love cross-body bags! That's really all I carry. And that is the best type of bag to prevent pick-pocketing, though that isn't a huge problem in Caribbean (Where are you sailing? Pick-pocketing is very common in Europe).

Dooney & Bourke makes really good small and mid-size crossbodies. It's a good piece to own.

Micky you are like my twin.

I write my packing lists like that too.

Blue sparkle undies

Red undies

Lol i am very specific with my packing lists. i got two months to go and last wekend i tried on all my outfits to see which worked and what didnt. LOL

I have troubles with clothes to, i like the idea of shopping and then when i go i get sick of it. It annoys me that you can me 1 size in 1 store but a total different one in another.

My motto is if i like something try it on straight away even iof i think it will look terrible on me. Other wise ill keep thinking about it and ignore other choices. Try it on if it doesn't fit ok cool, you can move on to other stuff.

I wish i could take these people shopping with me to lol

I too have a love/hate experience with shopping. Once before a trip to Disney World, I tried on not less than 50 pairs of jeans on Black Friday trying to find just a couple to take!:eek: I have decided that I am not a jean person, which drives my friends crazy, cuz I always just dress up everywhere.

I have fallen in love with Burlington recently and several of my cruise outfits have come from there. Also, JCP's Bisou Bisou collection is great. It has a youthful appearance without being cheesy (I am 28, but people think I'm 16, not cuz of the way I dress talk or act) and they fit a more adult body.

My only concern is the whole "make your legs look longer" desire. Do you know how long your legs are? it really has nothing to do with your height as I am 5'10" with a 34" inseam. I have 2 best friends who are the same height, but one has a 31" inseam (she totally sucks! :p) and the other has an even shorter one (not sure as I haven't made clothes for her). Since I have NO torso I seldom wear anthing cinched at my waist only because it would be literally right below my boobs. Also, remember that your body is different on different days of the month and at different times of the days. The best days to try things on are when you have plenty of time and feel great. Take your time and scruntinize. Most importantly, if you like something, but find something wrong with that particular item DO NOT grab another one without trying it on! Standadrs have slacked off and just because the first size 10 fit, doesn't mean the whole rack of size 10s will.

Good Luck! And if all else fails, learn to sew;)

Oh wait, my summer must haves are dresses. I like to wear cute dresses both at home and on vacation and heeled sandals. Better than skirts as I dont like where my waist is. I'm so glad to see that others are taking heels too, I was reading horror stories on here and freaking out about what I was going to take as footwear.:p

Seriously I haven't been shopping in months! I have pretty proportional legs to my torso, I have a long torso, so I like to keep my legs looking long too!

I love heels! Well I love how they look but hate how they feel! I just cannot wear "flats" to save my life, they do not look good on me. But yes, I agree I love dresses for summer, I just have a hard time finding them :)

• 2 weeks later...

I see all these fun and funky summer dresses and i am like wow they look beautiful and then when i try them on they look horrible. because of my bigger bust they look like circus tents lol

Archived