Which one is best for a first-timer

Cruisecat40

Do you want a drinky-drinky booze cruise (shorter duration)??

-or do you want a civil enjoyable experience for your First Cruise..(7 days)??

I want both! That's why I've got a 3-day booked with a friend and an 8-day booked with my family. :D

I prefer a 7 day, but if the time and price is right, i will do a shorter trip, like a 4 day.

Wife and i have a week in Disney in October, so we couldnt swing a normal 7 day cruise as well as Disney, so we were just planning on driving somewhere for a long weekend just to get a break, but then once we priced it out, the 4 day to Canada was actually cheaper than if we drove somewhere and stayed for the weekend.

A day at sea is always better than a day on land!! ;)

I would say 7 days. I did a 5 day one time and it went so fast it is not worth the expense of getting to the port or the trouble of packing and learning to navigate the ship for such a short stay. You are alway trying to get the most of the cruise and don't really have time to relax and enjoy:)

Here's another vote for a 6 or 7 day cruise!

Our first cruise was a 4-nighter, way too short, and we had a problem in the beginning where the ship sat in Miami port for 2 of those 4 nights. We were so turned off by cruising we never went back ... until last year when I decided to try it again, but this time I booked a 7 night cruise. LOVED it! Would never want to bother to pack, fly, stay overnight, etc. in anything less than 5 nights. Besides, all the great ports are on 7 day or longer itineraries!!

We did a 3 night for our first and it was way too short. We took extended family on a 5 night which was just enough time for DM to say no thanks to cruising. She was sea-sick the majority of the time. We have taken everything from 3 nights to 8 nights. We prefer the longer but have found the 5 nights usually fit into our vacation time better (plus they are not the party boats like the 3-4 night cruises). My suggestion to first-timers, unless they are pretty sure they won't get sea-sick, is to go with the 5 nights. Not too short, but not too long if you find that cruising is just not for you...which does happen, I have witnessed it.

I think a lot would depend on if you are having to pay for airfare and so on, but as far as I'm concerned the longer the better. Also, when they go on other vacations, what do they prefer? Some people enjoy a lot of small 3-4 day trips versus the longer week vacations. To me, less than 7 days isn't much of a vacation.

Our first was a 7 day and that's all we've done since. We took friends with us last year and it was their first cruise and they loved the 7 day also - we all wish it had been a 10day or a b2b. We have cousins going with us this time (along with the friends who went last time - we've got them hooked now too) and it is their first cruise and are doing 7 days on the Legend.

I've always said I need another week to cruise after the first week so I can recuperate from all I've tried to cram into the first week!

Let us know what you all decide and good luck! I hope they enjoy cruising - they will probably be hooked like all the rest of us!

Thanks to all for your replies.....The relative in question is 55 years old and a complainer. Some family members are hoping this vacation experience will change their attitude and outlook on life in general.

We are hoping for the best !!! Wish us well on our 7-day voyage at sea. :).

Archived