Which one is best for a first-timer

Cruisecat40

Our family is cruising later on this year and some family members are trying to convince another relative to join on our 7-day cruise.

Would you recommend this length of time for someone who has never cruised before ????

Should first-timers start out with a 3-5 day cruise for starters?

My DH and I have a difference of opinion and I wanted to know what the experienced cruisers have to say.

Your thoughts please.

Our family is cruising later on this year and some family members are trying to convince another relative to join on our 7-day cruise.

Would you recommend this length of time for someone who has never cruised before ????

Should first-timers start out with a 3-5 day cruise for starters?

My DH and I have a difference of opinion and I wanted to know what the experienced cruisers have to say.

Your thoughts please.

Honestly??? Not worth my time to pull out the suitcases and pack for 3-5 days..lol:o

I am sure you will make the right decision for your family.

Happy cruising.....

I'd start off with a shorter cruise - what if they don't like cruising, hard as that is to believe, and they're stuck for seven days? I started off with a four day cruise, had two more of those, then went to a seven day which I really liked, did one more. My next cruise will be a five day in November, and I'm wondering if I'll be happy with less time? Hah! At least I'll be on a cruise!!

It never occurred to me, on our first cruise, to book less than a week. The concerns of "what if I don't like it" apply to every vacation. Even now, I don't know that it would be worth the time and expense to do less than 7 days.

But, I think it all depends on their comfort level. Some people don't do well with change and new experiences, in which case, they may want to just dip a toe in at first.

I would suggest a longer (7 days)...as someone else said, I wouldn't get my suitcases out and packed for 3 or 4 days onboard! Also, keep in mind, shorter cruises = more partiers, so whatever floats your boat!:)

Our first cruise was a 3 day and I can honestly say I didn't like it. We took our kids who were 6 and 2 at the time and the whole "party all the time" attitude was a little too much for me (and them).

Then we went on a 7 day and it was mmmuuuccchhh nicer. It was a true vacation then, versus the attitude of we have to do it all because we don't have much time mentality. People seem more laid back and wanting to relax.... we won't go on anything shorter than a 7 day now.

We take our inlaws with us who are in their 60's and they now love cruising. You didn't say the age of the person you are trying to convince. They like the laid back attitude that comes with cruising.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

I'd start off with a shorter cruise - what if they don't like cruising, hard as that is to believe, and they're stuck for seven days? I started off with a four day cruise, had two more of those, then went to a seven day which I really liked, did one more. My next cruise will be a five day in November, and I'm wondering if I'll be happy with less time? Hah! At least I'll be on a cruise!!

See how different everyone is???

We said "It's over already?" on our first cruise, which was an 8 day.:(:( no no...you can't make me leave the ship...lol

Our very 1st cruise was a 7 day, loved it. We've never done anything less. But for us a cruise also means a flight, so anything less than 7 days wouldn't be worth the trouble of packing & flying.

Just noticed you are from FL. So no flying needed for you. I guess it depends on the 1st timer. Do what they think they'd enjoy.

I have recommended a shorter cruise for a friend first timer (actually going on their first cruise with me now-7 days). I recommended for them (her to be specific) b/c she had concerns about sea sickness and migraines. They were going to book by themselves at one point and with her concerns I recommended a shorter cruise so that she could get a feel for what it would be like, but if she did get sick that it wouldn't be that long of a trip to get through. But I gave her some comparisons to how it kinda feels on a ship on land.......like less pressure and more smooth than an airplane.

I would also recommend a shorter cruise for someone who has "closed in" issues or a fear of water or something like that. Mainly, if they want to try it, but aren't sure b/c of some kind of medical or mental thing.........then shorter. But as far as, "Just not liking what a cruise has to offer," Well we all suffer through stuff we don't like on a daily basis and we are still alive and kicking and are usually none the worse from it.

I have recommended a shorter cruise for a friend first timer (actually going on their first cruise with me now-7 days). I recommended for them (her to be specific) b/c she had concerns about sea sickness and migraines. They were going to book by themselves at one point and with her concerns I recommended a shorter cruise so that she could get a feel for what it would be like, but if she did get sick that it wouldn't be that long of a trip to get through. But I gave her some comparisons to how it kinda feels on a ship on land.......like less pressure and more smooth than an airplane.

I would also recommend a shorter cruise for someone who has "closed in" issues or a fear of water or something like that. Mainly, if they want to try it, but aren't sure b/c of some kind of medical or mental thing.........then shorter. But as far as, "Just not liking what a cruise has to offer," Well we all suffer through stuff we don't like on a daily basis and we are still alive and kicking and are usually none the worse from it.

Excellent Advice.

No question. 7 days. Gotta have time to have fun and enjoy the activities, as well as time to relax. 'Course I usually can't get into that relaxed mode until about day 5 - that's why I love B2Bs! :D

My husband's first cruise was a 4 nighter on Monarch OTS. He enjoyed it enough that as soon as we got home, we booked a 7 night on Legend... and have not looked back.

We often suggest to others that they take a 3 or 4 night cruise to see if they like it. Yes someone may not be able to get a true feel for what it's like cruising, but they do get an introduction to the rhythm of not having to lift a finger while seeing 2-3 ports of call.

OP - do whatever feels comfortable to YOU and not anyone else...

Good luck with the decision!

I personally think 1st timers need the a longer cruise for the first one. Simply because the whole experience can be so overwhelming (in a good way) that trying to see and do everything in a shorter amount of time wouldn't be as relaxing.

My first cruise was 4 nights and I regretted not doing a 7 or 8 night one.

Our first cruise just happened to be a 7 day cruise and looking back, so glad it wasn't shorter. The only time since that we've taken a shorter cruise was a 6 day followed by an 8 day (B2B). Personally, I wish Carnival would offer a 10 day Caribbean cruise.

It is honestly amazing what a difference a day can make!! Our first cruise was 4 days--we loved it. We have loved every cruise since then!! Our favorites have been 5 days. We prefer 5 nights with 2 ports. Then for a week vacation we have a day to get to the port 5 cruise days, time to travel home the last day, and a day to get unpacked before having to return to work.

P.J.

Safe journeys to all currently on the water, and happy cruise dreams to all waiting for your next journey to begin!!!

I didnt even know that there were cruises shorter than 7 days until I had already taken 6 cruises! My first two cruises were 7 days long and by my third cruise I was doing 10 day cruises.

Unless the first timers are adamant about going on a cruise, I wouldn't hesitate about taking them on a 7 day one. In fact, I think that they'd get a much better idea of what cruising is about. Shorter cruises dont really do justice to the cruising experience...

Our very first cruise was a 7-night cruise. Like others have said, it never even occurred to me that you could book a shorter one at that time. Since then, I have done four and five night cruises as well, but I prefer the 7+ nights.

I have also recommended for people to maybe start off with a three or four night cruise to the Bahamas--IF they express an attitude that they don't know if they would like cruising or not. If they don't express that attitude, then I recommend the longer cruise.

I do know one person who didn't like cruising (my boss), but the reason she gave for not liking it was that she felt uncomfortable in some of the poorer countries because they were so poor and people were washing clothes in a river, and in they come wearing nice clothes.

Archived