New To Princess. We're Confused & Need Advice.

tarheelmjfan

Good luck in finding a cabin that you will enjoy. Here is a link to the balconies for the Island:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

As you can see from the link some of the balconies are uncovered, some are fully covered and some are partially covered.

The balcony you have chosen is a covered unobstructed balcony. I note that you used the term "mini suite". D627 is a balcony cabin but not a mini suite. Since you have had some confusion about the cabins, I wanted to make sure that you realized that. We spent 19 days on the Island in September and October of 2011 and were in D718. We loved that deck and that location. We really enjoyed the Island and hope you have a wonderful voyage.

Thanks for the info & link. The TA originally held a BF guarantee & mini-suite guarantee for us. They were the same price. We didn't like the possibility of getting an obstructed view or no balcony, so we called back to inquire about booking an assigned cabin. My DH then told her to release the mini-suite hold. We don't want to risk being assigned a mini-suite with no balcony, even if it is cheaper than the assigned balcony cabin we had her hold.

Did you sail the Panama Canal on Island Princess last year? If so, do you think there is a preference to which side of the ship your cabin is on? I'm just wondering, if we should stay with D627 or try for a different cabin. Thanks again.

You can find out all the cabins that are available, so when DH makes his call he will have the information he needs. Simply google sea scanner.

I tried this site & it's only showing one cabin number & guarantee stateroom in each category. Is that all that's available? Sorry, if that's a dumb question. :o

Thanks for the info & link. The TA originally held a BF guarantee & mini-suite guarantee for us. They were the same price. We didn't like the possibility of getting an obstructed view or no balcony, so we called back to inquire about booking an assigned cabin. My DH then told her to release the mini-suite hold. We don't want to risk being assigned a mini-suite with no balcony, even if it is cheaper than the assigned balcony cabin we had her hold.

Did you sail the Panama Canal on Island Princess last year? If so, do you think there is a preference to which side of the ship your cabin is on? I'm just wondering, if we should stay with D627 or try for a different cabin. Thanks again.

Yes, we sailed from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale thru the Panama Canal. It was an amazing cruise. I believe the cruise that you are considering is the 10 day partial Canal cruise. Is that correct? What date? We have also done the partial transit on the Coral Princess which is a sister ship to the Island. It doesn't matter which side your cabin is on for the transit thru the Canal. To me, D627 looks like a good cabin. Before you go, be sure and read David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas. It will make the Canal experience much more interesting. It is a long book but well worth reading. Good luck.

I agree about reading "The Path Between the Seas". It really allows you to appreciate the work that went into this amazing engineering feat. It is impossible to say which side of the ship will be "best" for the canal. Your ship will not know which side of the canal you will enter the locks on until shortly before you arrive. Both sides of the canal work in the same direction for certain hours and then the opposite direction at different hours. For example, as you face the canal there are two entry locks in front of you. You may be assigned to the left or the right side. All of that said, don't stay on your balcony for the entire transit. As you approach the locks, go forward and watch the men in a row boat who will row out to get the ropes which will be attached to the electric mules. That is amazing. Watch the lock gates open and the ropes be attached to the mules. Go to the rear and watch the locks close behind you. Go out on the promenade deck when the ship is low in the locks and get the feeling for the ship rising up out of the depths.

I did the partial transit on the Island last November. I was in D419 which is the same category and same side as D627. My cabin was mostly covered and had an unobstructed view. I usually book the port side, but enjoyed the starboard side because you're in the shade for the transit into Lake Gatun. The port side can be very sunny and hot in the morning. My cabin was mid-ship and yours is more aft. It's a good cabin.

Yes, we sailed from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale thru the Panama Canal. It was an amazing cruise. I believe the cruise that you are considering is the 10 day partial Canal cruise. Is that correct? What date? We have also done the partial transit on the Coral Princess which is a sister ship to the Island. It doesn't matter which side your cabin is on for the transit thru the Canal. To me, D627 looks like a good cabin. Before you go, be sure and read David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas. It will make the Canal experience much more interesting. It is a long book but well worth reading. Good luck.

We're booking the 10 day transit leaving 10/23. We gave up a 14 night repositioning cruise to book this one, but we really want to see the Panama Canal pre-expansion completion. Our 20th anniversary is on the 24th, so this seemed like the perfect time to do that.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I had already told my DH that I plan to read a book on the Canal, but didn't know which one to get. I wouldn't mind reading this one prior to the cruise, then reading a shorter one in the sun onboard. Any other recommendations?

We're really looking forward to the experience. I think we're more excited about this cruise than any other we've taken, except for our honeymoon, which was our first cruise.

I agree about reading "The Path Between the Seas". It really allows you to appreciate the work that went into this amazing engineering feat. It is impossible to say which side of the ship will be "best" for the canal. Your ship will not know which side of the canal you will enter the locks on until shortly before you arrive. Both sides of the canal work in the same direction for certain hours and then the opposite direction at different hours. For example, as you face the canal there are two entry locks in front of you. You may be assigned to the left or the right side. All of that said, don't stay on your balcony for the entire transit. As you approach the locks, go forward and watch the men in a row boat who will row out to get the ropes which will be attached to the electric mules. That is amazing. Watch the lock gates open and the ropes be attached to the mules. Go to the rear and watch the locks close behind you. Go out on the promenade deck when the ship is low in the locks and get the feeling for the ship rising up out of the depths.

Great info, thanks! I'll have to print this out to take with us, so we can remember where we need to be at each point in the process.

I did the partial transit on the Island last November. I was in D419 which is the same category and same side as D627. My cabin was mostly covered and had an unobstructed view. I usually book the port side, but enjoyed the starboard side because you're in the shade for the transit into Lake Gatun. The port side can be very sunny and hot in the morning. My cabin was mid-ship and yours is more aft. It's a good cabin.

I'm glad to hear about your experience from a similar cabin on the same side of the ship. Searching for this cabin number only brought up this thread & another where the OP went with a different cabin. After reading your reply, we've decided to go ahead & book D627 tomorrow. I'm so happy it turned out to be a good cabin. We never give starboard vs. port side much thought, unless others say one side is better for the itinerary.

Another good canal book is by Richard Detrich called "Cruising the Panama Canal". I know the author is correct but the title may be a variation of the above.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll order that one too.

• 1 month later...
I've never sailed on the Island, but looking at the deck plans there are some jut outs, and the cabins right behind them would probably be recessed enough that the view to the side where the other cabins jut out would be obstructed.

Also, the cabins on the lower decks might be obstructed by the lifeboats. If you check this site https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/coral-princess/cabins-601--623 there are pictures, and deck plans, that show it quite well. For example, check out E312.

Even on higher decks, without the life boats, the jut out would limit your view.

If you're willing to pay the extra, book a higher category BD maybe, to get the balcony without an obstruction.

This info is wonderful! Do you by any chance know of a site where you could look at the mini suites? Thank you in advanvce for any info you can supply.

Archived