New To Princess. We're Confused & Need Advice.

tarheelmjfan

My DH called a TA that we've used before. He actually talked to an associate, but it shouldn't make a difference. We want to book Island Princess for Oct. The options she gave him were a BF balcony guarantee or a Mini-Suite guarantee. She said the balcony cabin could be obstructed & the Mini-Suite may not have a balcony. We're not happy with either option. I don't know why we weren't given an option to pay more for an assigned cabin. :confused: I wish we'd been together, so I could have asked more questions. Anyway, we definitely want a balcony. How obstructed could the view be in a BF category cabin? In other words, what's the worst case scenario? Both cabins are the same price. We want to choose the option that gives us the best chance for a non-obstructed balcony. We're totally confused & don't know what to do. Unfortunately, our dates can't change. We may end up looking for another cruise, as we're not willing to give up a balcony & would like a view from it. Can any of you offer any advice to help us figure this out? Thanks in advance for the help.

You can get a pretty fair idea of where the cabins are for those categories by checking the deck plans at Princess.com. I didn't know there were minis on the Island without a balcony. I thought they all had them. I would also check with the TA again and tell her/him exactly what you are looking for. He may be unfamiliar with Princess as some specialize in other cruise lines.

According to the Princess website, it appears that the mini suites on deck ten forward cabins C201, C202, C203, c204 classified as cabins type AF do not have balconies. If you are on the early october Panama Canal cruise, it appears that there are balcony rooms available at all price points. And also more expensive mini-suites categories AA and AB. You mentioned that you were not sure why you were not given an option to pay more for the room you wanted, so I suggest calling the TA back with the Princess website pulled up and have them check on specific cabin numbers. Hope this helps with your journey.

Thanks for the help. We're trying to book the 10/23 cruise. It seemed odd & disappointing that we weren't given more choices. I'll have my DH call back tomorrow & tell them we definitely want a balcony & don't want obstructed view. Hopefully, that will help us get what we're looking for. We're wondering how obstructed the view could be. Does anyone know what they mean by obstructed balcony view on Island Princess? We don't care what deck we're on or what area our cabin is in. We definitely want a balcony with a view though. I hope we can figure this out. If not, we'll have to reconsider the HAL Panama Canal cruise.

Thanks for the help. We're trying to book the 10/23 cruise. It seemed odd & disappointing that we weren't given more choices. I'll have my DH call back tomorrow & tell them we definitely want a balcony & don't want obstructed view. Hopefully, that will help us get what we're looking for. We're wondering how obstructed the view could be. Does anyone know what they mean by obstructed balcony view on Island Princess? We don't care what deck we're on or what area our cabin is in. We definitely want a balcony with a view though. I hope we can figure this out. If not, we'll have to reconsider the HAL Panama Canal cruise.

If i remember correctly, all of the types of cabins, both balcony and minis were available for the later date.

You might also want to consider a different TA. This early out that sailing shouldn't be that heavily booked to limit the choices to what your TA told you.

You might also want to consider a different TA. This early out that sailing shouldn't be that heavily booked to limit the choices to what your TA told you.

Some TAs think that all people want is CHEAP. That applies to cruises or land vacations. Other TAs know value vs price. It would do you well to search around and find a TA who will work with you and explain the different options. Good luck.:)

My DH called a TA that we've used before. He actually talked to an associate, but it shouldn't make a difference. We want to book Island Princess for Oct. The options she gave him were a BF balcony guarantee or a Mini-Suite guarantee. She said the balcony cabin could be obstructed & the Mini-Suite may not have a balcony. We're not happy with either option. I don't know why we weren't given an option to pay more for an assigned cabin. :confused: I wish we'd been together, so I could have asked more questions. Anyway, we definitely want a balcony. How obstructed could the view be in a BF category cabin? In other words, what's the worst case scenario? Both cabins are the same price. We want to choose the option that gives us the best chance for a non-obstructed balcony. We're totally confused & don't know what to do. Unfortunately, our dates can't change. We may end up looking for another cruise, as we're not willing to give up a balcony & would like a view from it. Can any of you offer any advice to help us figure this out? Thanks in advance for the help.

it sounds like your TA doesn't have a lot of experience booking cruises or doesn't have much experience with Princess. After you look at the Princess web site and pick a cabin, get the price that Princess would charge you before you call your TA back. If your TA doesn't give you much of a discount, it may be worth booking direct or finding another TA.

I went on to the Princess site and looked at all the categories for a Balcony and a Mini-Suite and there are a lot still available for 10/23. In the BF category that the TA was talking about, E221 and E216 were the only rooms listed as available but they say ocean view, NOT obstructed. BA, BB, BC, BE have at least 6 rooms left. With the Mini-Suites AF category, cabins B210 and C203 list no balcony, but again there are lots of suites left in Category AA, AB, AC. If you go on the Princess site you can go through as if you are going to book a cruise online and you can see what is available. There are still lots to choose from so don't settle for what they told you. Maybe that particular Travel Agent only has so many available to them so in that case I would change Travel Agents because who wants an obstructed view if you are willing to pay for the ocean view.

Good Luck

Thanks again for the help. I was surprised that was all he was offered. Maybe, the TA did think he was looking for the cheapest option. :confused: I don't know how experienced this particular TA is. Like I said, the person in the office wasn't our regular TA. The business does specialize in cruises, so you would think she'd be familiar with all the lines. The price they are quoting is less than Princess, so we would benefit by booking there. Saving money isn't worth a bad balcony or no balcony at all though.

I guess what we really need to know, before we make a decision, is what they consider an obstructed balcony on Island Princess. We know nothing about the ship & don't know how obstructed the view could be.

I went on to the Princess site and looked at all the categories for a Balcony and a Mini-Suite and there are a lot still available for 10/23. In the BF category that the TA was talking about, E221 and E216 were the only rooms listed as available but they say ocean view, NOT obstructed. BA, BB, BC, BE have at least 6 rooms left. With the Mini-Suites AF category, cabins B210 and C203 list no balcony, but again there are lots of suites left in Category AA, AB, AC. If you go on the Princess site you can go through as if you are going to book a cruise online and you can see what is available. There are still lots to choose from so don't settle for what they told you. Maybe that particular Travel Agent only has so many available to them so in that case I would change Travel Agents because who wants an obstructed view if you are willing to pay for the ocean view.

Good Luck

I appreciate you & weaselwatchr for taking the time to check inventory for me. Based on what is available would you consider booking a guarantee in either category, or would you insist on booking an assigned cabin? We've never booked a guarantee, so this is all new territory for us.

The BF balcony was the cheapest, so maybe he thought you were only considering price.

My DH didn't ask for a specific category only a balcony cabin. I really don't understand why she offered what she did. I'm sure she had a reason for it at the time. I'm just glad we have you all to help us figure this out & not book something we'll be unhappy with. :) He can now ask more informed questions, when he calls back. We're really grateful for the help we're getting.

I've never sailed on the Island, but looking at the deck plans there are some jut outs, and the cabins right behind them would probably be recessed enough that the view to the side where the other cabins jut out would be obstructed.

Also, the cabins on the lower decks might be obstructed by the lifeboats. If you check this site https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/coral-princess/cabins-601--623 there are pictures, and deck plans, that show it quite well. For example, check out E312.

Even on higher decks, without the life boats, the jut out would limit your view.

If you're willing to pay the extra, book a higher category BD maybe, to get the balcony without an obstruction.

I just looked at the Island,Oct 23, and there are cabins that can be assigned-BD and up. There is a sale too

Oct 13 seems to be sold out

I found cabins available for Oct 13 for BC and above.

We always book a specific cabin number and request the upgrade. We have never gotten an upgrade, other than when we actually were called by Princess to delay our departure date. I know I have read that sometimes if you get an upgrade it may be to a better catergorized cabin, but not necessarily a better view, for instance a balcony to a mini with an obstructed view. I have always been of the opinion that if you are going to be on that ship for however long its going to be, you should have the room you want. When is hubby talking with TA again. I am curious how this pans out.

A new offer.... My DH called them back & we can get cabin D627 for a total of $240 more. Is that a good cabin? I keep checking the deck plans. Since I've never seen the ship, I'm having a hard time imagining what we'd be getting. :o He went ahead & dropped the hold on the mini-suite. We definitely don't want to take a chance on not getting a balcony.

After reading through this thread , I would suggest you do a bit more research , some of the folks on this thread have given you good information, and then I would get a second opinion from another TA before you book, don't book until you are satisfied with your cabin selection. Having a balcony for the canal is really nice. I hope you get what you need. You can call around to different TA , just because you talk to one , you do not have to book with them , you can have choices.

Cori

Hi have been on the Island a number of years ago to Alaska we had a cabin in dolphin deck at the front of the ship in the BE catagory staboard side. There was no obstuctions blocking the view. The cabin you have on hold is towards the back of the ship it has a bigger balcony than the BE by the deck plan you will be close to the laundry. You will have a clear view when at the railing from the front to the back of the ship. Hope this helps and you have a great cruise.:)

After reading through this thread , I would suggest you do a bit more research , some of the folks on this thread have given you good information, and then I would get a second opinion from another TA before you book, don't book until you are satisfied with your cabin selection. Having a balcony for the canal is really nice. I hope you get what you need. You can call around to different TA , just because you talk to one , you do not have to book with them , you can have choices.

Cori

Thanks for the reply. You're right. The people on here have given great advice. It's very much appreciated. I've never been on a friendlier board than the Princess board here. It's very refreshing. :)

The quote we got was quite a bit below Princess price. I've checked several websites & they're all more. We'll keep looking until Monday. This agency has always given us good service in the past. We'd never dealt with anyone other than the owner though. There was obviously a breakdown in communication between that particular TA & my DH yesterday. Until I came here, we thought those were our only options with Princess. We didn't like either of them. After finding out here that we had more options, we would have definitely booked elsewhere, if they hadn't offered us an assigned cabin.

Hi have been on the Island a number of years ago to Alaska we had a cabin in dolphin deck at the front of the ship in the BE catagory staboard side. There was no obstuctions blocking the view. The cabin you have on hold is towards the back of the ship it has a bigger balcony than the BE by the deck plan you will be close to the laundry. You will have a clear view when at the railing from the front to the back of the ship. Hope this helps and you have a great cruise.:)

That definitely helps. Thanks so much. I'm glad to see it's a good cabin. We'd much rather pay the extra $240 & be guaranteed a good view. This is our 20th anniversary & we want it to be special. We don't need a big cabin, but we do want a balcony to have the UBB & UBD a few times. The price she quoted is still quite a bit below Princess price. I need to do some research to see if it matters what side of the ship were on for PC. If not, we'll stay with this cabin.

Good luck in finding a cabin that you will enjoy. Here is a link to the balconies for the Island:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

As you can see from the link some of the balconies are uncovered, some are fully covered and some are partially covered.

The balcony you have chosen is a covered unobstructed balcony. I note that you used the term "mini suite". D627 is a balcony cabin but not a mini suite. Since you have had some confusion about the cabins, I wanted to make sure that you realized that. We spent 19 days on the Island in September and October of 2011 and were in D718. We loved that deck and that location. We really enjoyed the Island and hope you have a wonderful voyage.

Archived