is Alaska cruise on DCL too cold for little ones?

eskiemomo

we've so far only been on the Magic but not the Wonder yet. we're looking at an Alaska cruise next year for our family to avoid flying, we'd have a toddler and infant. DH is concerned about it being too cold.

I thought some mentioned Wonder was retrofitted with 'extras' for cruising Alaska? I can't find any photos specifically about that.

we have cruised on Holland American before to Alaska (one of those *****dam ships) and its interior was quite spacious with lots of public seating by huge glass windows, clearly designed for Alaska cruising. The Magic is not and the Wonder is its sister ship so DH is worried.

Does anyone know the specifics of any retrofit, or has cruised Alaska on DCL?

we've so far only been on the Magic but not the Wonder yet. we're looking at an Alaska cruise next year for our family to avoid flying, we'd have a toddler and infant. DH is concerned about it being too cold.

It depends when you are going, shoulder months like May, June and September, October will be colder then the prime summer months of July and August. But then pricing for Alaska tourism is at its maximum in July and August .

I thought some mentioned Wonder was retrofitted with 'extras' for cruising Alaska? I can't find any photos specifically about that.

we have cruised on Holland American before to Alaska (one of those *****dam ships) and its interior was quite spacious with lots of public seating by huge glass windows, clearly designed for Alaska cruising. The Magic is not and the Wonder is its sister ship so DH is worried.

Does anyone know the specifics of any retrofit, or has cruised Alaska on DCL?

The retrofit only involved the area above the Cove Cafe. It used to be pretty much an unused space. Now it's an enclosed adult area - Outlook Bar.

There is no enclosed viewing area on deck like on the HAL ships. There are areas that have large porthole windows that you can remain inside, deck 3 (promenade lounge, atrium, route 66), deck 4 atrium.

:)

We've done Alaska cruises on DCL and HAL. I'd recommend HAL, NO question. The itineraries are far superior on HAL. Also, all of the HAL ships sailing Alaska have a pool that can be covered if conditions merit (which in Alaska they usually will). We found our DCL cruise to be Disney - with Alaska thrown in. That is fine if that is what you are looking for. As DCL was our 6th Alaskan cruise, that was fine for our needs. On HAL it is all about ALASKA.

Does HAL have the range of children's activities like DCL? Of course not. However, I've read of many children who do greatly prefer the smaller scale of Club HAL.

We've done Alaska cruises on DCL and HAL. I'd recommend HAL, NO question. The itineraries are far superior on HAL. Also, all of the HAL ships sailing Alaska have a pool that can be covered if conditions merit (which in Alaska they usually will). We found our DCL cruise to be Disney - with Alaska thrown in. That is fine if that is what you are looking for. As DCL was our 6th Alaskan cruise, that was fine for our needs. On HAL it is all about ALASKA.

Does HAL have the range of children's activities like DCL? Of course not. However, I've read of many children who do greatly prefer the smaller scale of Club HAL.

When you are with children under 14, they give a damn all whether glaciers and snow mountains are beautiful or not. They will enjoy the Disney ship more then a beautiful glacier calving within 500 feet of your ship.

If you are all adults , then sure go with HAL. I would prefer Disney with my children , anyday.

When I was just with my DW, we went by air to Alaska and then rented a 20 seater boat to go within 100 feet of a calving glacier near Seaward. Now that's what is called Alaska Cruise ;)

Children will appreciate being able to use the pool any day. From what I've read about surveys about what children liked best about their WDW vacation, the overwhelming majority said the 'hotel pool'. It didn't matter if they stayed on property or not. The pool is a MAJOR factor for kids. HAL wins hands down in this category. On our DCL Alaskan cruise, there was only one day when the pools could be used. Barely comfortable even then.

Southern Alaska is not Siberia !!

Tempretures in middle of summer are in their high sixties. Good enough for open swimming pool.

Early May and late September might be chilly but I have seen children in far colder temperatures , enjoying a warm pool., since the water temperature is well maintained to that of most indoor pools.

Archived