Rumours of Sewage Smell on Quest

taxman1

The smell is not just on the Quest. I have never been on the Quest. We sailed on the Sojourn, which is the same style of ship and believe me smelled really badly. I think the smell may be a common engineering flaw to all 3 of the larger Seabourn ships. The smell is unavoidable in the indoor common areas from about 10:00 A.M. to about 5:00 P.M. It so happened that our cruise was in port everyday at those times. I am not sure if the smell is associated with some ship operation that occurs only in port, or if the smell occurs at this time on sea days as well.

What I do know is that there are so many choices for luxury and super luxury cruises and I won't set foot on this class of ship until I am satisfied that the odor problem has been dealt with.

We were on Odyssey for 26 days earlier this year .... no smell.

We were on Odyssey for 26 days earlier this year .... no smell.

Glad to hear that about the Odyssey. We were on the Odyssey 14 days 2 years ago and again for 19 days in January 2011. We literally booked our suite based on where the smell had been less noticeable. We did the same for the Quest (Venice to Athens April 23). Our suite was 608 and the smell was not an issue. I will say that the the odor was far worse on the Quest and in many more locations than what we previously experienced on the Odyssey. The Quest's issue was very mid-ship in the stairwell area with deck 5 being most affected.

Just got off the Quest in Istanbul. You sometimes got a whiff of sewage in a very small area of deck 5 when walking to the Club. It wasn't there all the time and certainly didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

Just once, I smelled the same for a nano-second on Deck 9.

Some of the "perfume" that a small number of our fellow guests wore, was worse than the momentary sewage smell by far.

Prior to our disembarkation in Athens, according to several who had complained, they were trying to address it. One person in particular was having difficulty with the odor in his suite on deck 9. It sounds as though progress was made for the next leg and hopefully will continue to be a non-issue. Likewise, it would not keep me from booking, and it didn't, and it definitely didn't keep me from thoroughly enjoying our experience.....it just was strongly noticed from time to time.

The smell is not just on the Quest. I have never been on the Quest. We sailed on the Sojourn, which is the same style of ship and believe me smelled really badly. I think the smell may be a common engineering flaw to all 3 of the larger Seabourn ships. The smell is unavoidable in the indoor common areas from about 10:00 A.M. to about 5:00 P.M. It so happened that our cruise was in port everyday at those times. I am not sure if the smell is associated with some ship operation that occurs only in port, or if the smell occurs at this time on sea days as well.

What I do know is that there are so many choices for luxury and super luxury cruises and I won't set foot on this class of ship until I am satisfied that the odor problem has been dealt with.

In port they will be emptying all sewage and grey water, depending on the port facilaties there will always be some sort of odour. All your bathwater etc, grey water, is held in a tank to be disposed of properly, plus all that stuff you know that you normally flush down the toilet.

• 11 months later...

We were on the Quest Singapore to Venice for 41 nights. Port side deck 5. While there was a noticeable cigarette smoke smell on deck 5 by the crew quarters we never encountered a sewage smell. I never heard this mentioned and we hung out with a lot of deck 5 folks.

MarianH I don't think you could have been on the Quest, Venice to Athens on April 23. The ship left Dubai on April 7 and arrived Venice May 3rd.

Off Sojourn on May 1. Problem in bathroom of 650. Request to fix promptly attended by engineering. Gentleman cleared out drains to shower and bath/basins of detritus etc and flushed through with chemical. Problem solved.

Anybody who has owned a boat is familiar with this issue, the plumbing is not domestic and can get a build up of hair, skin etc etc. in the lines. Wonder if this is related to earlier complaints or if that was a more general problem concerning the pump out of black water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the "perfume" that a small number of our fellow guests wore, was worse than the momentary sewage smell by far.

True, true. Ladies - and some gents - need to be aware that what they perceive as pleasant is actually quite unpleasant to others. And they should avoid over doing it.

True, true. Ladies - and some gents - need to be aware that what they perceive as pleasant is actually quite unpleasant to others. And they should avoid over doing it.

And it makes me sneeze :D

Archived