Kindle, Nook, other, neither?

Another option:

If you have a Target store in your area, they "may" be discontinuing all their non-Apple devices (wonder why;)). It really varies store to store but they may be going for 30% off or more right now. If they have a large supply, keep an eye on them, may go to 70% off. Look for a clearance sticker.

I love my Kindle ...I think it's a II, not the new color flashy one,but with both wi-fi and 3G :) When the ebooks first came out, I thought I, too, would pass them up; I'm a former schoolteacher and librarian, love the smell and feel of "real" books.

Then I saw the Kindle, asked the person to let me handle it. I fell in love. Now I am in awe whenever I pick mine up -- knowing that I have an entire library in the palm of my hand :D

I use mine almost solely for reading (I do have a couple of card games on it. :o ) so what I have is more than satisfactory. I got the Kindle because I already had a relationship with Amazon (I've got probably 1,000 "real" books lining my living room..) so it seemed natural.

Like others have said...it's important to think about what you're going to be doing with it.. I'm not "into" games, movies, music, all that...just books...so what I have suits me just fine. I have learned how to transfer documents to it (spent some time today loading in documents relating to my upcoming cruise, for example), and how to access my email (a bit clumsy, but workable), so what I have works just fine for me.

I'm thinking about getting one of those tablets a lot of people have on which you can read books and newpapers and play games. Some people like the Kindle and others the Nook, and my stepmother has something similar but isn't either. Is it reasonable to believe I can buy one of these devises for about 200.00 that I can use for reading and playing Scrabble? What else can you do with it?

I do believe you can go to Best Buy now to buy one. I would suggest going there to look at the different models out there to see if you like the size, weight, look, etc.... Also, Barnes & Nobles sale the Nook. I have the kindle touch ($79-85) and love it. You can get free books from amazon and they also have some great deals for other books too. I hope this helps you out!!

I could be related..lol. My late husband used to lament on how many books I have, he didn't like to read, so he didn't understand..lol.

I used to scoff at the thought of electronic books, but after not having reading material at the airport on a 5 hr delay, caved in and bought my Kindle. I still have my 'friends' on the shelf, though.

I used to scoff at the thought of electronic books, but after not having reading material at the airport on a 5 hr delay, caved in and bought my Kindle. I still have my 'friends' on the shelf, though.

Airport, bingo! We're going on a trip next week and I have two layovers of which both are more than a couple hours. You know how it goes. I'll be lucky if my "down" time is only a few hours at a shot. Anticipating having way too much time on my hands in the airport is what got me thinking about this topic.

For those considering a Tablet, Look at the Toshiba Thrive, they have

8,16,32 Gb.

Expandable, WIFI, You can Add multiple Readers + + +

Love it!

This coming from a hard back book only reader in the past.... took a bit of adjusting.....

Now I can carry multiple books, movies, Games and work ( from a Thumb Drive or External) all in one little unit....

I have an ipod and instead of buying a seperate eletronic reader, amazon provides the kindle software for *FREE* download to your ipod or ipad.

Amazon also have a plethora of *free* electronic books. Alot of classics whose copy right has expired (published before 1927), alot of self publishing authors-some great, some good, some not so good. Other books are available for < $5. The more popular books are available for download at list price.

Apple also have its own reader (ibooks?) available for free download. I do not know how many books are available for download from apple.

I love hard copies of my books, but have found the ipod for reading very handy when traveling to cut down on how much I carry.

Just my .02 cents.

Jodi

Ebook readers are wonderful and well worth the purchase, but the real book has it's advantages too...

I have over a thousand hard cover books in my library, yet when reading now (since I got my first Kindle in 2008) I see absolutely no advantage to a book. What advantages do you see in a book over an e-reader?

Kevin C

I have over a thousand hard cover books in my library, yet when reading now (since I got my first Kindle in 2008) I see absolutely no advantage to a book. What advantages do you see in a book over an e-reader?Kevin C

I'll go opposite

One of the advantages of a reader is the happiness in my wife, me not purchasing books anymore and leaving them lay all over the house....:D

Happy wife = happy Husband;)

Going to sell all my Hard Copies and put towards Cruise funds.....

they sync to the furthest page read - so if I swap from one device to the other...I'm exactly at the spot where I left off reading.

Which to me is one of the absolute greatest things about e-reading and the cloud. I regularly use a Kindle Fire and a Kindle touch at home, and on weekends an iPad. When reading kindle books all three devices tell me the last page I have read.

I used to have to have multiple books going in multiple places so I would always have something to read. These devices have obviated that problem. Of course the cloud feature doesn't work while on a cruise, since the different connections are either unavailable or very expensive.

Still love cruising with the Kindle Touch.

Kevin C

I have several movies on it at any time and of course plenty of downloaded games. Couple that with the books and it's just a great all-around device to have on vacation.

Thanks for the reminder! We used my wife's Kindle Fire on our last trip on Jet Blue to watch a movie. What a great experience - the screen on that device is incredible, and of course we had plenty of battery to watch the whole movie and then some (unlike laptops on which we have tried to do this in the past). Worked wonderfully.

Kevin C

Going to sell all my Hard Copies and put towards Cruise funds.....

Great idea. In my case, I doubt I would get pennies on the dollar for my library. Might as well keep it. At least it will give the heirs something to worry about (what the heck will we do with all these books!).

Kevin C

I've been debating on getting a tablet or new laptop. My laptop is working fine, just older. I thought though a tablet would be easy to keep or transport for things, such as a cruise. I've often wanted to take my laptop so I could just use it to transfer all my pictures to, but its bulky.

My SIL wanted a reader or tablet for Christmas last year and my brother asked my advice. I told him to go with a tablet b/c a reader can't do everything a tablet can a do, but a tablet can do everything a reader can and more..........

Then which one...

She has android phones (one for work and one for personal) so I suggested to the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (after reading lots of reviews) vs. the Ipad b/c she would already know how to use the operating system and her phone should be compatible too.

I see the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 had a 10.2 out now and its about $150 cheaper than the 10.1. I was thinking about getting it, but I would have to buy an adapter to use my USB SD card reader to upload pictures to it, which is another $20.

Any techie ideas on this?

1ST GENERATION NOOK. The 3g wireless allows me to download almost anywhere. Easy to read in the bright light. (Can read on my I phone in the dark or use a book light with the nook.) I have 122 books on the nook with room for many more. The only downside is that B&N only offers wi-fi with newer versions. If mine breaks I cannot replace the original version.

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread! I am happy to say I ordered my Kindle this week. Just the basic ereader. After deciding that if I really need the internet I will probably have my laptop with me anyway I went with the basic model. I was torn between that and the Kindle Fire. I do love actual books, just love the way they feel and turning the pages, kinda hard to describe but being able to take multiple books without have to pack them all will be fantastic!

I love to read. I think that's partly why I like the internet boards. I guess I'm old fashioned but I can't get myself to buy one of these devices. There is something about actual books that I love. I like dogearring my favorite pages. I always like it when we travel to land resorts and they have lending libraries. I bring a few and leave them there. I try to find one to read on the plane back. I always check the airport shops for new books before we go but it has been slim pickings recently because so many people use these devices instead of buying traditional books.

I have over a thousand hard cover books in my library, yet when reading now (since I got my first Kindle in 2008) I see absolutely no advantage to a book. What advantages do you see in a book over an e-reader?

Kevin C

If I want to loan a book to a family member or friend, I can just hand it over and get it back later. No need for them to have a device that is lendable. I can resell a book.

If the world goes to crap, I can use the book in a fire to keep warm or cook supper......:)

PS... Love my Nook

I use a stylus with my Kindle...they have them at Staples (my first one was not cheap), since then I ordered multiple packs from EBay, they work just as well.

I like to read while I eat, so it saves greasy fingerprints on the screen.

I don't think I will ever get rid of my favorite books....a house looks so homey with bookshelves.

Once in awhile, while my Kindle is charging, I will pick one out at random and read away.

If I want to loan a book to a family member or friend, I can just hand it over and get it back later. No need for them to have a device that is lendable. I can resell a book.

If the world goes to crap, I can use the book in a fire to keep warm or cook supper......:)

PS... Love my Nook

Paper books do not break when you drop them on the tile. (like my Kindle Fire did a couple of hours ago) Paper books do not need batteries or electricity.

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread! I am happy to say I ordered my Kindle this week. Just the basic ereader. After deciding that if I really need the internet I will probably have my laptop with me anyway I went with the basic model. I was torn between that and the Kindle Fire. I do love actual books, just love the way they feel and turning the pages, kinda hard to describe but being able to take multiple books without have to pack them all will be fantastic!

If you ordered it from Amazon, it probably will be registered already.

You can have books downloaded while it is in transit, and they will be on your Kindle when you get it.

Enjoy!

Melanie

Archived