Does everyone bother paying for a safe? Is there a need or would locking passports/money etc in a suitcase suffice? I would have expected a safe to be free not something you have to pay extra for. First time cruiser so any advice gretefully received.

Does everyone bother paying for a safe? Is there a need or would locking passports/money etc in a suitcase suffice? I would have expected a safe to be free not something you have to pay extra for. First time cruiser so any advice gretefully received.

It is your choice , £15 and you belongings are safe.

Ask yourself this ,if you were to lose your money etc and they were hid in a suitcase ,do you think your travel insurance

would be keen to pay out?

Other options are to buy your own travel safe.

Have a read at last years post and then decide :) Post Money Missing

I may well be wrong...but i recall something that if you pay for the safe (anywhere) and belongings go missing, you can hold the company responsible fr the missing items. Is your passport and money going missing worth £15?

On Cunard the safe was free.

On Majesty last week we simply carried our passports, travel docs, phones and my camera around with us, even to the dining room. We didn't have anything else of high value with us.

On Cunard the safe was free.

On Majesty last week we simply carried our passports, travel docs, phones and my camera around with us, even to the dining room. We didn't have anything else of high value with us.

I think its a case of swings and roundabouts , the free safe on Cunard would be built into the price of the holiday .

Thomson could just up the price by £15 and say they are free but would that be fair to someone like you who did not require a safe ?

I do not like paying for a safe either but knowing House/car keys, money, phones ,passports ,bank cards ,money travel docs... are all

secure for £15 ,then I will continue to use them .:)

As BY767 said "Is your passport and money going missing worth £15? ";)

IMO Thomson should include a free safe as whatever their reasons for not doing so it it is just not good public relations. It smacks of penny pinching and 'that airline' sharp but not illegal practices.

It irks the hell out of me :mad::mad::mad:

I have a travel safe but have doubts about the insurance companies reaction if you tried to claim.

£15 is a small price to pay for peace of mind at least, My sunglasses cost more than that. I admit the use of the safe should be free but i'm sure there is some other motive why they charge apart from collecting a lot of £15's. I've just paid over a grand for a holiday £15 more? not a lot to pay is it

We bought a small portable safe a couple of years ago that we take on all our holidays. it has a lock on it that we attach to anything fixed and it has a combination. we paid around 12 pounds for it. so it has been well worth the money :):D

We always have a safe, we paid £25 for 16 days on our recent Spirit cruise, well worth the money for peace of mind. I do take the point that the safe ought to be in the price as it is with other cruise lines.

I always pay for a safe in hotels/on cruises as I just like the peace of mind of knowing our passports etc are safe. I don't think it is unreasonable to have to pay something as obviously Thomson would have to pay out if there was ever an issue with theft from the safe, though I do think their charges are quite high.

Five weeks to day we'll be enroute for Newcastle and the Spirit. Can't wait!

Isobel

We always rent a safe in the cabin too.

Our first holiday abroad - about 25 years ago, was a disaster. All our valuables were pinched out of my handbag whilst we were on the beach, so once bitten twice shy! We are paranoid about safe documents etc. when we are on holiday. Lots of these cities you stop at on the cruise are notorious for pickpockets, so its peace of mind.

Prices are a bit too much though, I agree.

Sue

We bought a small portable safe a couple of years ago that we take on all our holidays. it has a lock on it that we attach to anything fixed and it has a combination. we paid around 12 pounds for it. so it has been well worth the money :):D

We also have one of these safes. Can anyone tell us whether there is anything 'fixed' in the Dream cabins that we can attach the safe to please :confused:

I just checked my insurance policy. If there is a safe available and you don't use it, tough, no payout :eek:

that settles it then, pay for the safe in the future

My insurance policy is the same , just put it down as the insurance premium costs £15 more

Archived