Hampton Inn & Suites Newark Riverwalk Hotel

In a recent thread about where to stay before or after a cruise out of NYC or Bayonne-- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1609775 --there was some discussion about the Hampton Inn & Suites in Harrison, New Jersey. A poster from Oregon had read positive reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor and asked if anyone on these boards was familiar with this hotel.

Subsequently, several people (including myself) weighed in on the general pros and cons of staying in or near downtown Newark. Several of us were somewhat familiar with the location, but no one had any personal experience of this particular hotel other than as a passer-by. As always, the consensus was that one must be very selective in choosing a hotel in this area.

The other day I was traveling by train into Hoboken, and took the opportunity to shoot a brief video of the hotel and the surrounding area from the train. I thought it might be helpful to post a link here so that travelers who aren't familiar with Newark can actually get some idea of this area:

In the video you will see (in this order) Newark Broad Street Station, the plaza adjacent to the station, part of downtown Newark, the Newark Bears minor league baseball stadium, the Passaic River, the hotel, and some of the town of Harrison. The Hampton Inn & Suites comes into view at 2:05 and remains in the picture for about 15 seconds.

Please note: I've linked the video for informational purposes only, and this is not an endorsement of this particular hotel.

Great video. It's been a long time since I took that ride. The area looks a lot better than it used to, but I still wouldn't choose to stay there.

Thanks for taking the time taking live pictures of all the places we've been talking about

Great video. It's been a long time since I took that ride. The area looks a lot better than it used to, but I still wouldn't choose to stay there. Frankly, neither would I.

Thanks for taking the time taking live pictures of all the places we've been talking about

You're welcome--my pleasure. I take the train through Newark Broad Street very frequently, so I thought it might be useful to let others see what the area actually looks like, rather than just describing it. All I had to do was point my camera through the window as we rode past.

I'll also be shooting a short video of the W Hotel & its surroundings in Hoboken--I'm just waiting for a sunny day. I'll link it on CC when it's up.

(However, I definitely won't be taking any video of Routes 1 & 9 in Linden!)

Thank you so much for this video! I'm the Oregon poster who started the discussion of this Hampton Inn.

I have a reservation there but it can be cancelled as I get more information on this hotel and other hotel options. We arrive at EWR about 4 pm so we should at least be able to eat at a nearby restaurant and be back to the hotel by dark. So it's not like we plan to walk around the area.

We'll see - I still have plenty of time to make a final decision.

Thank you so much for this video! I'm the Oregon poster who started the discussion of this Hampton Inn.

I have a reservation there but it can be cancelled as I get more information on this hotel and other hotel options. We arrive at EWR about 4 pm so we should at least be able to eat at a nearby restaurant and be back to the hotel by dark. So it's not like we plan to walk around the area.

We'll see - I still have plenty of time to make a final decision.

Glad I could help. It can be a bit daunting trying to find a good, reasonably-priced place to stay in this area. And reviews don't always tell the whole story.

If you'd like to take a look around the neighborhood of this hotel, virtually, google 100 passaic avenue harrison nj , click on the map, and drag the little yellow guy down to the red A.

Archived