RCI tour with a private van in St. Petersburg

I recently noticed that on our Royal Caribbean cruise (Vision of the Seas), there are several tours listed that are 8 hours long. They are for 6 - 10 people in a van with a driver and guide. Since we will be 2 families of 7, we thought that might be the way to go in St. Petersburg. And, since we will be there on a Monday when the Hermitage is normally closed, this would be good, since it's included in this tour. Has anyone done one of these private tours through the cruise line? If so, what did you think?

I recently noticed that on our Royal Caribbean cruise (Vision of the Seas), there are several tours listed that are 8 hours long. They are for 6 - 10 people in a van with a driver and guide. Since we will be 2 families of 7, we thought that might be the way to go in St. Petersburg. And, since we will be there on a Monday when the Hermitage is normally closed, this would be good, since it's included in this tour. Has anyone done one of these private tours through the cruise line? If so, what did you think?

If you are reading these boards for any length of time you will see that almost to a man/woman, we all suggest you do a private tour in St Petersburg thru any of the several good independent tour companies. If you are mind set on a ship's tour, so be it, but you would get better info on the RCCL web site.

There are many people who have come here asking similar questions, and many have left changing their minds and looking into doing an independent tour. There are many reasons for doing that. Price, smaller groups but most of all, the private companies will do whatever is possible for you to have a grand time. They need your recommendation and will design an itinerary to what you want. No cruise ship tour will do that, or really even care if you enjoy your tour or not. They do not need your recommendation. You will NOT miss your ship and they are perfectly safe and secure, insured and really, they are the best way to see this city, as it is a once in a lifetime event.

Again, if you are set on a ship's tour, so be it. I tried. :D:D:D:D

If you are interested, here are a few pix of st Petersburg for you to enjoy, however way you choose to see it.

At Catherine's Palace you will be greeted by a Russian Band to serenade you

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster834.mp4

Be sure to spend a few minutes in the gardens as they are quite magnificent

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster712.jpg

At Peterhoff, you will be simply blown away at the magnificence of this place and all those fountains

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

On to the Church of the Spilled Blood. Make sure your tour includes a tour of the inside of this magnificent structure

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster840.mp4

Another place that you must see is the Church of Peter and Paul where you will view the final resting places of famous Russians such as Peter the Great

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe878.jpg

The grandest jewel of this city is the Hermitage. Try and spend as much time as possible in this wonderful place, where rooms just go into more rooms each filled with amazing world famous artworks and so many other things

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1037.mp4

Cheers

Len

it sounds like you are talking about getting the ships equivalent of a "private tour" I have seen these type of excursions listed for other ports and they usually tend to be very expensive-ie they add on a hefty premium for providing you with the transport-how much are they quoting you for the full van? Then contact several of the well reviewed private tour operators in ST Petersburg and ask for their pricing so you can compare

please let us know how you get on

Actually, that's why I was thinking of using the ship's private tour. It will be cheaper for the 7 of us, because the price quoted on the website is for the vehicle, regardless of number of passengers. It's about $50 cheaper per person and, as I said, will get us into the Hermitage on a day that it is closed. Has anyone done this with RCI? According to their website, they hire a local driver and guide and the van is air conditioned. I gather that the ititnerary is somewhat flexible, just like the St. Petersburg companies. Thanks for all responses!

To enable us to comment more precisely, can you paste the entire itinerary (and cost) of that day. And also, is it your only day in St P ? Don't worry if you don't want to do this, but I find it hard to believe that (in St P) a ship's excursion can ever match what any of the several top-notch independent operators offer.

All the best, Tony

I'll agree with others that a privately-booked van is the way to go.:)

The ship isn't an "accredited tour operator" for visa-waiver, so all the ships' tours are organised through local operators, so I don't see them being better value than booking the exact-same tour (if that's the itinerary you want) direct with one of those operators

Most of those tour operators operate 16-seater vans, we've just returned from a Baltic cruise (not RCI) and got together a tour with Alla tours, which was extremely good.

Two groups of us went on slightly different standard 2-day tours, their "Grand St Petersburg" & their "Comfort tour". We needed at least 8 in each van to get the standard per-person rate, we had 12 in one & 8 in the other.

Your 14 is an excellent size of group.

It's well worth seeking quotes/details from Alla Tours, SPB, and TJ Tours, they are very efficient in replying & all their tours were well-received by folks on our cruise. Its worth mentioning your date/the Hermitage, its possible they too can get access on a monday - they all provide pre-opening hours access on other days of the week, and I have photos (they'd not be as good as Len's even if I could figure how to post them) of entire rooms in the Hermitage with not one person in them.

The only advantage of a ship-organised tour is the over-played one about not missing the sailing - but these operators know their stuff, they build minor sights close to the ship into the tail of their itineraries & got us all back in good time. I have never ever heard of any local tour operator clients missing the sailing in St Pete's.

JB :)

I'll agree with others that a privately-booked van is the way to go.:)

The ship isn't an "accredited tour operator" for visa-waiver, so all the ships' tours are organised through local operators, so I don't see them being better value than booking the exact-same tour (if that's the itinerary you want) direct with one of those operators

Most of those tour operators operate 16-seater vans, we've just returned from a Baltic cruise (not RCI) and got together a tour with Alla tours, which was extremely good.

Two groups of us went on slightly different standard 2-day tours, their "Grand St Petersburg" & their "Comfort tour". We needed at least 8 in each van to get the standard per-person rate, we had 12 in one & 8 in the other.

Your 14 is an excellent size of group.

It's well worth seeking quotes/details from Alla Tours, SPB, and TJ Tours, they are very efficient in replying & all their tours were well-received by folks on our cruise. Its worth mentioning your date/the Hermitage, its possible they too can get access on a monday - they all provide pre-opening hours access on other days of the week, and I have photos (they'd not be as good as Len's even if I could figure how to post them) of entire rooms in the Hermitage with not one person in them.

The only advantage of a ship-organised tour is the over-played one about not missing the sailing - but these operators know their stuff, they build minor sights close to the ship into the tail of their itineraries & got us all back in good time. I have never ever heard of any local tour operator clients missing the sailing in St Pete's.

John,

Welcome back from your Baltic Tour.

Appreciated your comments, as always.

Were there any Australians on your private tour?

To enable us to comment more precisely, can you paste the entire itinerary (and cost) of that day. And also, is it your only day in St P ? Don't worry if you don't want to do this, but I find it hard to believe that (in St P) a ship's excursion can ever match what any of the several top-notch independent operators offer.

All the best, Tony

Ok, I'm not doing this shore excursion (I've organized a private tour with SPB tours), but since I'm on an RCI cruise this summer (Brilliance) stopping in St. Petersburg, I thought I'd post to answer your question.

The OP is on Vision, but I believe Vision and Brilliance are sasiling very similar itineraries, and they both only are doing 1 day in St. Petersburg, rather than the normal 2 day.

Anyhow, here is a copy and paste of the RCI excursion ---

Van - Hermitage/Pushkin/Panoramic Sights/Shopping - PZ35

The tour price is per vehicle, not per person. Please see the information listed under PZ12 Car - Panoramic Sights/Hermitage/Shopping for further details on this option. Entrance fees for 2 venues, photography and video fees are included for the venues incorporated on your selected itinerary. Any meals, refreshments, subway fees, or gratuities are not included. No deviations can be made to the tour length or advised departure time. The tour order; however, can be discussed on the spot with your guide. A visit to the Hermitage's Gold Rooms is not included in this private vehicle package.

Cost is $1550 for the van

To the original poster - as others have suggested, perhaps a private tour is better with an idependent tour operator. For my Brilliance sailing, I've organized a private van for 12 hours for 13 people. We are doing Peterhof (with special early entrance), city sightseeing tour, Hermitage tour, canal boat ride, metro ride, and Peter and Paul Fortress. At a cost of $190 per person.

The RCI tour for 4 less hours is costing you $221 per person.

Just a suggestion.

Also, does anyone really know. Can RCI arrange a private tour of the Hermitage on a day it's not open to the public as the original poster has suggested? (not something I'm worried about as my cruise arrives there on Wednesday, but I thought it sounded odd from what the original poster wrote)

Ok, I'm not doing this shore excursion (I've organized a private tour with SPB tours), but since I'm on an RCI cruise this summer (Brilliance) stopping in St. Petersburg, I thought I'd post to answer your question.

The OP is on Vision, but I believe Vision and Brilliance are sasiling very similar itineraries, and they both only are doing 1 day in St. Petersburg, rather than the normal 2 day.

Anyhow, here is a copy and paste of the RCI excursion ---

Van - Hermitage/Pushkin/Panoramic Sights/Shopping - PZ35

The tour price is per vehicle, not per person. Please see the information listed under PZ12 Car - Panoramic Sights/Hermitage/Shopping for further details on this option. Entrance fees for 2 venues, photography and video fees are included for the venues incorporated on your selected itinerary. Any meals, refreshments, subway fees, or gratuities are not included. No deviations can be made to the tour length or advised departure time. The tour order; however, can be discussed on the spot with your guide. A visit to the Hermitage's Gold Rooms is not included in this private vehicle package.

Cost is $1550 for the van

To the original poster - as others have suggested, perhaps a private tour is better with an idependent tour operator. For my Brilliance sailing, I've organized a private van for 12 hours for 13 people. We are doing Peterhof (with special early entrance), city sightseeing tour, Hermitage tour, canal boat ride, metro ride, and Peter and Paul Fortress. At a cost of $190 per person.

The RCI tour for 4 less hours is costing you $221 per person.

Just a suggestion.

Also, does anyone really know. Can RCI arrange a private tour of the Hermitage on a day it's not open to the public as the original poster has suggested? (not something I'm worried about as my cruise arrives there on Wednesday, but I thought it sounded odd from what the original poster wrote)

Thanks. Assuming the 2 venues are The Hermitage and the Catherine Palace at Puskin, as you say, this works out at $221 per person. As a single party of 14, for $135pp it would be possible to do P & P Fortress/Cathedral, Yusupov palace, CSB and the Hermitage OR for $120 Peterhof, the Catherine Palace and the Hermitage, both with Alla Tours.

And the SPB tour you are on looks great too. To the OP all I would say is that while there's nothing wrong with the ship's tour, there are much better options which will help you maximise your one day in this incredible city.

All the best, Tony

John,

Welcome back from your Baltic Tour.

Appreciated your comments, as always.

Were there any Australians on your private tour?

Hi MM,

No, all Brits.

In fact the whole cruise was a very British affair, though bear in mind we're a pretty multi-cultural country these days.

We didn't hear a north American or Aus/Kiwi accent the whole time.

But an awful lot of folk from my part of England's south coast - guess its too easy with the port on our doorstep. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Does the website specify the size of the "van"? fourteen of you would need a mini bus, not a regular passenger van.

if you have one day in St P, I'd go for the longest, best tour you can fit in. ask private tour operators if they can get you in Hermitage on Monday...if not the cruise line tour may be the way to go.

I can honestly say the $285 I spent on a two day tour in St Petersburg with TJ Travel was the best money I have ever spent.

The cruise companies have their own agenda as far as tours go. We had no problem leaving Queen Victoria to get a new Mercedes high-roof minibus for a two day tour of Peterhof via hydrofoil with the amazing fountains, the extraordinary opulence of Catherine Palace, the subway, Ss Peter and Paul and then on day 2 a boat tour of the canals then early entrance to the Hermitage, then Church on Spilled Blood, St Isaac's and the Yusupov palace. Two excellent lunches in "authentic" restaurants were included.

Don't believe the propaganda of the tour offices: I was a little cautious about sending passport number abroad, but there was no problem getting off the ship before the coach loads, Russian immigration was a breeze with a print out of the tour ticket, there was absolutely no selling, the commentary was in perfect English and everyone had headsets (useful in the Hermitage to keep in touch it is so big). This is a big city and the driver almost magically found his way round the occasional traffic snarls and there was no worry about getting back to the ship.

Book up, get extra cards for your camera, and prepare for two days of jaw-dropping sights. I was blown away by the quality of the st-petersburg-tours.ru as the highlight of what is a great cruise itinerary anyway.

Archived