Alternatives on Formal Nights

3littlepigs

The problem is that what's being tolerated varies from cruise to cruise and ship to ship.
....and even on the same ship on the same cruise it can vary depending on which employee you happen to encounter at the dining room entrance when you arrive.

That is bad advice. While on your cruise the dress code was not enforced, many recent posts have stated that the dress code was enforced on other sailings. While there is certainly a trend towards more casual attire - for now the company policy is that the formal dress code does apply to the main dining room on formal nights. While this is not always enforced, it often is enforced. Just because it is "your cruise" does not mean one can do as they please - there are still company policies that one may have to adhere to depending on enforcement.

I do agree with your comment, and I do not think jeans should be worn in the MDR period.

It isn't that hard to look formal as has been posted on the thread. Just simple black silk pants, pretty top and jewelry and you are good to go.

No issue with casual attire, but IMHO jeans are not appropriate, and glad they turned the guy away in shorts.

We have an FV so we will have a BIG balcony, sounds like MDR menu by room service on the balcony will be the go! And nobody will mind if the kids order an extra dessert!

The cruise is only part of an extended trip so Himself will only have one pair of casual long trousers purely for wearing in the dining room and kids will only have jeans (nice ones but still jeans) so nobody will have jackets/good trousers etc.

Except for the "smart casual" requirement they wouldn't even have long pants or jeans! Himself lives in smart tailored shorts and polos all year round...not sure what it is with these outback men they don't seem to feel the cold!

The veranda dining is a great idea. I think that you will really enjoy this as long as the weather is nice. We've had after family verandas on two cruises and the balconies have been one of our favorite parts. While we are "formal people" and our kids enjoy getting all gussied up for the dining room, we have enjoyed snacks and other meals on these nice verandas. Balcony dining won't cost you any more than a tip for the person who brings it and its quite nice.

The other option, that no one mentioned, would be tuxedo rental for your guys. It doesn't sound like something you guys would choose, but I just wanted to make you aware that you could rent for the whole cruise and you wouldn't have to pack any extra. There are rentals for ladies too, but it would probably be easier to pack a lightweight fancy top to go with black pants.

I disagree, I think jeans can look polished and sharp and certainly fill the "smart casual" code of dress for non formal nights.

I am not a jean lover. However if they are clean and the person is well dressed, I agree. I guess it is all the dirty jeans, baggy, and holes in them that are a turn off

I am not a jean lover. However if they are clean and the person is well dressed, I agree. I guess it is all the dirty jeans, baggy, and holes in them that are a turn off

Jeans are not an issue anymore, some may not like it but they are allowed for about a year now...I wear them all the time at home in PA in the winter but you wouldn't catch me in them in the summer or on a cruise in the Caribbean....

Jeans are not an issue anymore, some may not like it but they are allowed for about a year now...I wear them all the time at home in PA in the winter but you wouldn't catch me in them in the summer or on a cruise in the Caribbean....

On a ship with air conditioning they're great. Walking around in the heat, not so much.

Thanks everyone for the wealth of knowledge!

So, in summary:

Formal means formal, however, some people have found, some times, and on some ships you won't be turned away for less than formal dress.

Venues other than the MDR are all smart casual all the time. Formal night may be a good time to try them out as a lot of people will go to the formal nights.

MDR menu will be served by room service at MDR times.

The balcony sounds wonderful if the weather is good, otherwise I think we would all enjoy Qsine, not sure that I am game to show the kids the menu or they will be wanting to go there every night!

We are cruising Asia in Winter so it won't be warm Caribbean sun (except for Singapore) so there will definitely be a pair of jeans each in our suitcases. Have to agree, we wouldn't wear them in Sydney in Summer...you would drop with heat exhaustion after a few minutes! Strictly winter wear:D

Archived