Guarantee Advantage?

Bobby Jones

Just booked a balcony guarantee for a December cruise. First time ever doing this and outside of a chance for upgrade, is there any other advantage? My travel agent did give what I considered a great price, but I don't get to pick my favorite cabin.

It depends on how fast the cruise is selling....we booked in December 2011 for cruise in june this year and we were upgraded from BF to BA on caribe deck on the Grand. Keep your fingers crossed...our cruise is now sold out.;)

For me it is like being pregnant and not wanting to know the sex. During the waiting period, one can use one's imagination on where the cabin will be. I have booked guarantees many times and never been unhappy with the cabin. I'm on the ship and that's all that really counts.

~Doris~

People usually book a guarentee for one of two reasons:

First, it is sometimes cheaper than booking a specific cabin.

Second, It is the only choice.

A guarantee is exactly the same price as any other available cabin in the category booked (L,M, BA, BB etc.).

If the category is GTY only because all cabins in that category have been assigned, then it is cheaper than the next higher category that has cabins available to select.

We booked a balcony guarantee last November on Ruby and this coming November on Emerald. In both cases we were upgraded from BG to BA, on Caribe deck (extra large balcony). The price difference right now between BG and BA on that Emerald cruise is about $300 per person, so I'm quite happy about the outcome. It's just a matter of them assigning you a cabin based on availability rather than picking a specific cabin. I'm not all that picky about location on the ship, so to me booking a guarantee is a good way to save a few hundred bucks and quite likely end up with a higher priced cabin than I otherwise might have specifically chosen.

Just booked a balcony guarantee for a December cruise. First time ever doing this and outside of a chance for upgrade, is there any other advantage? My travel agent did give what I considered a great price, but I don't get to pick my favorite cabin.

Advantages: (Assuming you booked the lowest category balcony guarantee)

• Great price.
  • Any balcony on a Princess Cruise ship is great
  • More money available for excursions
  • With lowest category (e.g. BG) guarantee there is a high likelihood of being assigned a higher category cabin
    • Our experience on 4 attempts: BA, BA, BC, BD

[*]Once a cabin is assigned your TA can move you to any other available cabin in that category. Great if you are assigned a cabin toward the bow and you would rather be closer to dining at the stern

[*]Excitement/anticipation of getting a cabin assignment will return you to visiting the Princess Cruise Personalizer often, which can also get you to booking excursions as soon as they become available

[*]Its not over til its over. Rare possibility of a 2nd, better, cabin assignment

If you want to book "your favorite cabin" then book it and pay for it. Never book a guarantee for a cabin that you would be unhappy with having.

Archived