Can I use free internet minutes on my mobile through wifi?

honeymoon06

We're boarding the Crown princess next thursday (can't wait!!) and this is our first time as platinum members. I see that we will get 250 free internet minutes.

I'll be taking my iphone with me and I was wondering if there is a way I can use the free minutes on my iphone? Does anyone know how I can set this up?

Can I also set up free wifi on my kindle onboard?

It will be easier to use my phone for emailing plus with all the noro reports on the Crown recently, I would feel better not using the internet cafe on a regular basis.

Thanks for your help!

I always use wifi on my iPhone. In my experience you go to settings and search for a wifi network, then click on the ships network (which will probably be 'crown-princess' or something similar). Then wait a few seconds and a login screen should pop up which is the same one as on the computers. If you are not familiar with this you should find it fairly self explanatory. Alternately go into safari and enter a web page and the log in portal should appear.

A couple of little tips: always type LOGOUT.COM into safari when you are done with the Internet otherwise you will continue to be charged even if you turn wifi off.

Also it can sometimes be a good idea to write your emails out before connecting to the Internet - it just saves time :)

As for your kindle I haven't used one so i can't really comment on that - sorry

Of course if you have any queries when onboard the attendant in the Internet cafe can always help you :)

Hope everything has been clear and easy to read here, let me know if you have any questions :)

A couple of little tips: always type LOGOUT.COM into safari when you are done with the Internet otherwise you will continue to be charged even if you turn wifi off.

As for your kindle I haven't used one so i can't really comment on that - sorry

The Kindle will work in the same manner as you described the Iphone connection process. Not much point in doing so with any model of Kindle besides the Fire though as you can download all the books you plan to read prior to the cruise unless you have subscriptions to dailies that you can't live without.

Great advice about composing and reading email offline and using the logout process on whatever device you use on the ship's WiFi. Some have said there is an idle time logout process, but I've never encountered it myself and you're still wasting about 3 minutes or more of time you might wish you had later.

Any wifi enabled device should be able to use your internet minutes. Some will be able to do this better than others.

You can only be signed on to the Internet on one device at a time.

If your traveling companion also has internet minutes, he/she can also be signed on using another device at the same time.

I'll be taking my iphone with me and I was wondering if there is a way I can use the free minutes on my iphone? Does anyone know how I can set this up?

I took over 3000 photos and kept a blog during our 100 days on the Emerald Princess all with my iPhone. It's very do-able.

Here are my settings suggestions:

Under Settings: Put phone in Airplane Mode (as soon as you get on board if not before). This automatically turns WiFi OFF. When you want to use the ship's WiFi, turn WiFi ON, and under Choose A Network, you'll see Crown Princess. Highlight and choose it. In less than 20 seconds (probably), a log in screen for MTN, which is the ship's ISP will come up. The first time, you log in with your first name, last name, cabin number and birth date. You then have the option of purchasing an internet package or being charged on a per minute basis. You'll also be prompted to choose a password. Once you're logged in, you'll see the familiar WiFi symbol in the upper left corner of your screen. You can check email or browse the internet from your phone, just as you would at home with WiFi. To log out, open Safari, type logout.com in the address bar and GO.

I would download emails, and then log off and reply/compose emails off line, SEND them (they'd sit in my outbox), and when I got on WiFi again, they would automatically send (I'd hear that toilet flushing sound).

I can't say it was never frustrating (I was occasionally kicked off of WiFi, and the small keyboard is tough), but the ease of use and portability more than made up for it. It was easy to find free WiFi in port too, and when I got on it, the emails in my Outbox would automatically be sent.

Great advice, PescadoAmarillo- I've been looking for that info for a few days now.... taking my iphone and my daughter's.:rolleyes:

Is there someplace we can ck prices for the ship wireless beforehand? We don't have a cabin with any free wifi minutes as far as I know...

Thanks,

Obnxshs-

I have a regular (keyboard) Kindle and would like to know the ifference in usiing that vs. the Kindle Fire. I can also download books before we leave and read them later. I am not charged for WiFi minutes, am I/

thanks

Great advice, PescadoAmarillo- I've been looking for that info for a few days now.... taking my iphone and my daughter's.:rolleyes:

Is there someplace we can ck prices for the ship wireless beforehand? We don't have a cabin with any free wifi minutes as far as I know...

Thanks,

The "gift" catalog on the princess site has Internet packages you can purchase prior to your cruise. I think they are 100, 150 or 250 minute plans. For purchasing prior to the cruise you get bonus minutes of 20 on the 100 minute plan, 40 on the 150 and 60 on the 250. I've read that if you purchase a package on the first day onboard you also get bonus minutes but not as many - but have no first-hand knowledge of this as I leave next week on my first cruise.

I gifted myself the 250+60 minute plan and it was about $105.

I've read that if you purchase a package on the first day onboard you also get bonus minutes but not as many - but have no first-hand knowledge of this as I leave next week on my first cruise.

I gifted myself the 250+60 minute plan and it was about $105.

If you get the bonus minutes deal onboard, it is half the nmumber of bonus minutes, so your 250+60 minute plan would be 250+30 minutes for the same price.

Obnxshs-

I have a regular (keyboard) Kindle and would like to know the ifference in usiing that vs. the Kindle Fire. I can also download books before we leave and read them later. I am not charged for WiFi minutes, am I/

thanks

If you use the Kindle WIFI feature on the ship, you will be charged by Princess for the minutes used, just as if you were using WIFI on a personal computer or using a computer in their Internet Cafe.

Archived