So Long Carnivial.... It's Been Real.. But I Have To Say GOODBYE!!!

Big Jay

It's between that or a land vacation to Mexico. I am having Mexico withdrawal!

That's what I suspected...so it's an apple/oranges thing and no comparison can honestly be made.

You get what you pay for...and that's fine. If you are paying more, you should get more, right??

Have to admit that I love Mexico too so I get that:D

I just priced out 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruises on the Norwegian Epic and Carnival Liberty for November 24, 2012.

The total price (including taxes) for one person in a T1 (studio) stateroom on the Norwegian Epic is $1,042.03

The total price (including taxes) for one person in an interior cabin on the Carnival Liberty is $951.47

As well as being less expensive, the Carnival Liberty will stop at 4 ports during the week and the Norwegian Epic will only stop at 3.

Tell me again why you're leaving Carnival?

I just priced out 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruises on the Norwegian Epic and Carnival Liberty for November 24, 2012.

The total price (including taxes) for one person in a T1 (studio) stateroom on the Norwegian Epic is $1,042.03

The total price (including taxes) for one person in an interior cabin on the Carnival Liberty is $951.47

As well as being less expensive, the Carnival Liberty will stop at 4 ports during the week and the Norwegian Epic will only stop at 3.

Nice comparison but again, you aren't really comparing apples to apples here. Epic is 100% about the ship (Heck, I recall quite a few discussions about booking for the ship vs the itinerary on these boards especially since you aren't guaranteed those 4 ports).

The entertainment factor alone is worth the tiny amount of extra $$ to me. I may be wrong but I don't believe that Liberty has a special area only for its solo (Epic's studio pax) folks either.

Personally, I am glad that there are options for me and if given the choice that you mention above, my pick would be easy.

Although I'm not the "you" being referred to in your post, I decided to still offer a reply nonetheless . . .

The difference you offer is a grand total of $90.56

I've experienced Carnival Liberty three times (all enjoyed), and Norwegian EPIC once (greatly enjoyed). The difference, in my personal opinion as stated earlier, is definitely worth more than that amount.

But . . . I definitely do not want to study the Math based on an opinion only. That would not be a smart thing for me to do at all.

So I went online and double-checked the figures you presented. CCL must have just today made a change to their booking engine amounts, as the cost (Fun Select) now of a 1A cabin on Carnival Liberty departing on Saturday 11/24/12 is $1,071.47 ($958.00 + $113.47). Cabins 2201, 2202, 2207 & 2208 are still available.

That would make the CCL sailing (at least at this particular hour) $29 more expensive.

I did not choose the Early Saver option, as that is something exclusive to CCL -- and I did not add any Latitudes OBC, as that's something exclusive to NCL.

And for those who might be wanting to make further comparisons for potential bookings, don't just limit yourselves to the NCL studios. Compare insides, oceanviews, and balconies as well. Probably more often than not the CCL price will be less, but definitely not always.

I can easily offer additional dates where the comparisons of very similar cruises do not shine CCL in the "better value" (or least expensive) light. I'm very glad that can be the case for my own vacations now, and I hope it continues.

Carnival inside cabin vs NCL studio cabin, transatlantic to Barcelona for solo cruiser...

Carnival is a bit higher, but offers 15 days and 5 ports, plus Tampa and Barcelona, about $1300 including taxes. NCL offers 11 days and 2 ports, plus Miami and Barcelona, about $1100 including taxes. Percentages mean diddly in this discussion except for those compelled to soak in self pity because they are comparing their rate to people who cruise in pairs or in families. I don't see why a cruise ship would waste the space and potential profits catering to solo cruisers. It's bad enough that they can't get me to buy anything on the ship, except for a soda card!

Unfortunately, with an added travel day before and after sailing (I never want to fly on the same day as the cruise departs/arrives) I can't get that many days off work so I'll likely be trying NCL for a Transatlantic in the spring of 2014.

Although I'm not the "you" being referred to in your post, I decided to still offer a reply nonetheless . . .

The difference you offer is a grand total of $90.56

I've experienced Carnival Liberty three times (all enjoyed), and Norwegian EPIC once (greatly enjoyed). The difference, in my personal opinion as stated earlier, is definitely worth more than that amount.

But . . . I definitely do not want to study the Math based on an opinion only. That would not be a smart thing for me to do at all.

So I went online and double-checked the figures you presented. CCL must have just today made a change to their booking engine amounts, as the cost (Fun Select) now of a 1A cabin on Carnival Liberty departing on Saturday 11/24/12 is $1,071.47 ($958.00 + $113.47). Cabins 2201, 2202, 2207 & 2208 are still available.

That would make the CCL sailing (at least at this particular hour) $29 more expensive.

I did not choose the Early Saver option, as that is something exclusive to CCL -- and I did not add any Latitudes OBC, as that's something exclusive to NCL.

And for those who might be wanting to make further comparisons for potential bookings, don't just limit yourselves to the NCL studios. Compare insides, oceanviews, and balconies as well. Probably more often than not the CCL price will be less, but definitely not always.

I can easily offer additional dates where the comparisons of very similar cruises do not shine CCL in the "better value" (or least expensive) light. I'm very glad that can be the case for my own vacations now, and I hope it continues.

While early saver is an exclusive option, its open to anyone. Your Latitudes OBC isnt. While ES doesnt work for everyone, its an a savings advantage, which seems to be the reason the OP no longer wanted to cruise solo on Carnival.

I have been on Epic twice and Liberty 3x and had a great time on both, but I personally like the Carnival experience. Maybe it was the 2 cruises I took with Epic, but the crowd was much older...Majority of seniors in the lounge. Not that I dont enjoy older people, just like the predominately 30-50 crowd on Carnival. ymmv

Options are great, so many cruises...so little time.

If you are every sailing on the same ship I am, I would be happy to put one of my kids in your cabin (on paper only of course). Insane that you have to pay so much to cruise alone!

I dont know about him but for only $90 more I would be motivated to try the Epic. I wouldn't want to stick myself to only one Cruise line. Not everyoines cruises for the ports.

Baloney. They both charge the same. 1 person, 1 set of taxes. 2 people pay twice what 1 pays.

Yes, 1 person, 1 set of taxes no matter the line. But the poster you quoted was referring to the port charges. Carnival DOES double them. I don't know about RCI, but I know I'm only paying one set of port charges for my Celebrity cruise.

Yes, 1 person, 1 set of taxes no matter the line. But the poster you quoted was referring to the port charges. Carnival DOES double them. I don't know about RCI, but I know I'm only paying one set of port charges for my Celebrity cruise.

Like Carnival, RCI doesn't list port charges as a line item. Same with Celebrity.

At least when I just tried booking online for them.

Like Carnival, RCI doesn't list port charges as a line item. Same with Celebrity.

At least when I just tried booking online for them.

Right (I don't think any line lists port fees separately any longer; I don't think it's allowed), but internally they know what's what, and Celebrity backed out the port fee portion for my December cruise. RCI often does this as well. Carnival does not.

Carnival sometimes has the best rate regardless of how it's figured. Sometimes other lines do. I don't care how they come up with the rate, what the percentage is, etc. I shop around for a fair deal. I do that whether I sail by myself in a cabin or with a friend. And fair deal doesn't necessarily mean cheapest. I've done a studio on the Epic twice. Could've done Carnival cheaper.

Baloney. They both charge the same. 1 person, 1 set of taxes. 2 people pay twice what 1 pays.

Baloney back.

As you know, when you see the price for a cruise (all cruises) there is a part of that that is the port charge or non commissionable. It's often up to $200 pp of that price on a 7 nighter

See for yourself

take any Carnival cruise on your favorite TA website and price a cabin for 2. Now price the same cabin for 1.

You'll see the only difference for the price is that the total for 1 is less by the amount of tax.

Now do the same for a Royal Caribbean cruise

You'll see that the price for a single is much more less than the tax amount for 1. The reason being is that you are not being charged the non commissionable (port) part of the fare you see.

Same on Celebrity

True, because the perceived extras on Epic/Breakaway may not interest a person that books for ports, rather than ship experience.

That's a very valid point...For me if the ports were the main focus, I'd fly there.

I just fgot off a 15 day Carnival Hawaii cruise and I loved EVERY sea day.

I'd have loved them even more if I were on NCL.

To me, a cruise is about the ship which is why when I go to Europe, I will fly there and stay in hotels. Islands are about the cruise....

Baloney back.

As you know, when you see the price for a cruise (all cruises) there is a part of that that is the port charge or non commissionable. It's often up to $200 pp of that price on a 7 nighter

See for yourself

take any Carnival cruise on your favorite TA website and price a cabin for 2. Now price the same cabin for 1.

You'll see the only difference for the price is that the total for 1 is less by the amount of tax.

Now do the same for a Royal Caribbean cruise

You'll see that the price for a single is much more less than the tax amount for 1. The reason being is that you are not being charged the non commissionable (port) part of the fare you see.

Same on Celebrity

and double baloney back at ya. Try the same bookings on cruise line sites without the smoke and mirrors played by TAs.

Right (I don't think any line lists port fees separately any longer; I don't think it's allowed), but internally they know what's what, and Celebrity backed out the port fee portion for my December cruise. RCI often does this as well. Carnival does not.

Carnival sometimes has the best rate regardless of how it's figured. Sometimes other lines do. I don't care how they come up with the rate, what the percentage is, etc. I shop around for a fair deal. I do that whether I sail by myself in a cabin or with a friend. And fair deal doesn't necessarily mean cheapest. I've done a studio on the Epic twice. Could've done Carnival cheaper.

The reason they are built into the cruise fares is because there were too many lawsuits over them. If a cruise line is backing them out and it is identifiable as such, I think they are going to be ripe for the taking in court again.

and double baloney back at ya. Try the same bookings on cruise line sites without the smoke and mirrors played by TAs.

As I said you can check RCL's site and Carnivals site or any other.

RCL does not charge double non commissionables as does Carnival for single bookings. No smoke and mirrors. You are wrong period.

The bottom line is, WHO CARES. if you find a cruise you want to take, with a cruise line you like, with a price your happy with, then go. Who cares if someone paid a dollar less, there will always be someone who paid less and someone who paid more. I for one cruise Exclusively on Carnival, NO it is not because I think Carnival is the best, I don't think there is a BEST cruise line, there might be a best for you cruise line, but peoples opinion differ. Since I take 2 or 3 cruises a year, I wanted to build my status for the few extra perks you get. If that doesn't matter to you then switching cruise lines won't matter, as long as your happy. If someone has a reason to leave Carnival, weather we agree with it or not, see ya later and have fun on your next cruise.

I've Just Returned, From The 5-05-12 Sailing On Carnivial Freedom!!!

I Had A Great Time, But I Will NOT Be Sailing Carnivial In The Near Future!!!

I Sail Solo, And Carnivial Got Rid Of The Solo Supplement, And No Matter How Much

Fun I Have... I Can't See Myself Paying A 200% Supplement To Sail Carnivial:eek:!!!

So Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, Look Out.. Here I Come!!!:p

We (DH/DW) sail Carnival at least once a year to get to some different

ports (for us). We book way ahead, ES, and follow price changes.

However solo, I will not even look at Carnival now.

IMHO, my best deals were off season, meaning school in session.

So far my best solo prices have been RCI with NCL's next...out

of Miami/Ft.Lauderdale in January/Feb/March...not Spring Break

times...prices spike....the bean counters know the school schedule!

I am now tracking Sept/Nov/Early Dec 2012 prices, excluding

the actual Holiday Sailing, of course. Will probably pull the trigger

on a mid-Sept (Majesty) out of Miami, a cheap Nov (Liberty) out

of FLL/PE...one or two in Jan 2013.

Further, I do not book these solos ahead of time...I wait until one

week before sailing and they sometimes drop the single supplement.

I do not fly so my method may not work for you....because

last minute flights are usually the most expensive.

Bottom line: We are almost Diamond thanks to Royal's ability

to drop the supplement on off season, last minute bookings.

Note to Carnival: Sorry Mickey, I'd like to do the Panama trip on Freedom

and we will, later on, when DW schedule allows us to sail together.

Note to Royal Caribbean: See y'all real soon.

Regards.

Maxx, out.

:cool:

Archived