HAL Recipe Request......

sail7seas

Hey, Sail!

Sorry I've been out of commission!!! This new job has me traveling and working some crazy hours!

I don't have the recipe, but I assure you I want it!!!!

Hope everyone's having a great night!!!

Thank you for trying, Joanie. I know you don't feel well and I appreciate your efforts but that is not the recipe. It isn't a Pinnacle Grill recipe but one they use for the Taco Bar.

Whowza about the chicken pox and shingles. I'm grateful to my PCP who had me get the shingle vaccine some months ago. I had dragged my feet about getting it.

You're smart to get it if your doctor says it is appropriate for you to do so.

Feel better soon. :)

Sail: I'm sailing very soon. I enjoy the Taco Bar so will keep my eyes open for sauted white meat chicken strips. I have a good sense of smell & taste so will see if I can figure it out. Tacos are Mexican so I'm guessing there is chili powder, cumin, salt/pepper & maybe granulated onion & garlic & ground oregano. The chili powder would make it brown. Will report back when I get home.:D

Thank you, Gail.

I have to tell you that even if what you suggest is not the recipe, that sure sounds very good and I will be fooling around with measurements and suspect I will come close to the HAL flavor.

We don't go to Taco Bar when it is inside Lido at the edge of the buffet. Somehow it just doesn't seem the same as on Maasdam, outside at the Burger Bar. :)

I like when I can take a spoonful of this or that rather than by the person serving. :o I like to take it the way I like it so we pass by it in Lido.

I'm surprised so few are aware of this delicious chicken. My favorite late afternoon snack to hold me until 8 P.M. dinner.

I remember that chicken but it's been a really long time since I've eaten it. I'm not a fan of the lido. I'm wondering if they use something silly like taco seasoning in it. I'm talking the seasoning you would buy in a grocery store to make tacos. I hope this makes sense. This is something we have in Calgary but I know the USA doesn't always have the same things.

I remember that chicken but it's been a really long time since I've eaten it. I'm not a fan of the lido. I'm wondering if they use something silly like taco seasoning in it. I'm talking the seasoning you would buy in a grocery store to make tacos. I hope this makes sense. This is something we have in Calgary but I know the USA doesn't always have the same things.

I'm sure you're right. Since this is just on the Taco Bar and not served in the Pinnacle or MDR as an entree I would bet it is something this simple or chili powder/cumin as someone else posted. I doubt they would bother with a lot of prep time for one of the choices for tacos, though I'm sure it's good.

Hi, all! Just a note about shingles. Mine were on the left side of my head, so I have gone to the docs 4 times: twice to Quick care in Albq, once to my primary here in LV and once to an LV ophthalmologist (concern for eye and optic nerve). I look like a battered wife, but so far so good on the eye.

What really bothers me is that I had the shingles vaccine about 3 years ago (not covered, paid $200). So why did I get shingles? (Someone said maybe it would have been worse without the vaccine.) my SIL had it and has had shingles twice.... I don't understand.

On the chicken, I agree with chili powder, cumin, garlic, possibly dried cilantro, onion salt. I make chicken tenders that way for chicken tacos.

What really bothers me is that I had the shingles vaccine about 3 years ago (not covered, paid $200). So why did I get shingles? (Someone said maybe it would have been worse without the vaccine.) my SIL had it and has had shingles twice.... I don't understand.

I think the shingles vaccine and pneumonia vaccines are like the flu vaccine ... it doesn't guarantee that you won't get it, just means you won't get it as bad as you would have with no vaccine. Both my husband and I have had shingles. I had chicken pox as a child, he did not. He got shingles a couple of years after me. Shingles can be brought on by stress we were told. The virus can stay dormant in the body for ages. We both had it on our backs ... itching and pain - like little blisters I think. Just about did me in to have anything touch the area. Ice cubes were a major relief (check with doctor before doing this). The ice numbed the pain and stopped the itching.

Hubby and I both had the pneumonia vaccine too ... he got pneumonia about a month ago. It came on without him being sick prior to this and took him off work for 2 weeks. He was so sick. I got some virus at the same time, but luckily didn't hit my lungs. This is the sickest we've ever been and the only time in 25 years that we both were so sick at the same time (other than colds). Thank goodness for wonderful neighbors/friends.

I hope you will heal quickly. I'm so glad you got into the doctor for help and have been following up.

Mary, I suspect you are right about the severity, and the ice--I know the cold fingers of one of my providers sure felt mighty good. Fortunately, the pain is pretty much over (felt like an icepick in my brain). I think I'm on the mend.

And thanks for your concern.

Mary, I suspect you are right about the severity, and the ice--I know the cold fingers of one of my providers sure felt mighty good. Fortunately, the pain is pretty much over (felt like an icepick in my brain). I think I'm on the mend.

And thanks for your concern.

Kaiser did a study about 3 years ago ... here's their findings:

The findings:

• Among those vaccinated, there were 6.4 cases per 1,000 people per year.
  • Among those not vaccinated, there were 13 cases per 1,000 people per year.

From what I read ... you have a 55% less chance of getting the disease if you have been given the vaccine.

"Most of us never get rid of the chicken pox virus," William Schaffner, MD, president of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, tells WebMD. "It lies dormant like a bear in a cave during winter. When a person gets shingles, the virus has reawakened."

http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/shingles-vaccine-for-adults

I'm so glad the pain is subsiding for you. I had it for almost 2 months. Hubby for a few weeks. The difference, when he was diagnosed they gave him so medication (shot) to help control it all. My primary care doctor couldn't believe that the doctor I saw 10 days before my visit with her hadn't given me the meds. She said it makes a big difference in recovery. Now this was YEARS ago, so policies/believes/treatments may have changed.

Yes, ICE was a life saver for me.

I think those of you who suggested Taco seasonings whether premixed or from my spice cabinet are probably very close. I hope to give it a try this week and will post here the results. :)

Thanks everyone for helping.

I will be so appreciative if you've provided a 'close facsimile' and I think you have. :)

I think those of you who suggested Taco seasonings whether premixed or from my spice cabinet are probably very close. I hope to give it a try this week and will post here the results. :)

I will be so appreciative if you've provided a 'close facsimile' and I think you have. :)

Good luck:)!

Is it sliced chicken, like fajitas or diced into tiny pieces or shredded chicken? Looking forward to your findings.

• 4 weeks later...
I know Joanie isn't feeling well at the moment so she probably is not reading the boards. Hope she feels better soon.

Does anyone have the recipe for the stir fried chicken HAL serves in the Taco Bar on the ships. I have plenty of stir fried chicken recipes but I hope to get that one as the blend of spices is exactly to my taste.

Would really appreciate if anyone has it and is willing to share.

Thanks. :)

Just got off the Zaandam. Remembered your question & asked the chef when he came out to the Taco Bar while having lunch one day. The white chicken breast meat is sauted with onion, green & red bell peppers and prepackaged taco seasoning. He said it's the same stuff you can buy in the supermarket called taqco seasoning. They do not use individual seasonings - just a mix. He said they prepare the chicken for those who want to make fajitas. Cheers, Gail:D

Just got off the Zaandam. Remembered your question & asked the chef when he came out to the Taco Bar while having lunch one day. The white chicken breast meat is sauted with onion, green & red bell peppers and prepackaged taco seasoning. He said it's the same stuff you can buy in the supermarket called taqco seasoning. They do not use individual seasonings - just a mix. He said they prepare the chicken for those who want to make fajitas. Cheers, Gail:D

Hey, I was right. There is a first time for everything:D;). It was nice of you to remember to check. I "think" Sail might be on her cruise right now so hopefully someone will remember to bump up this thread. I hope you had a good cruise.

Thank you for asking. Will have to try it. We love fajitas, and this would be easy to make at home.

BTW, last Friday morning fellow CC Member LVSue visited with me for a couple of hours (before I went to the Dr) and yesterday I received an email from her that she has shingles. So it appears there may be an out break of Chicken Pox going the rounds of at least the western part of the US. As a warning to all, please get vaccinated!! I know I am going to get the Shingles vaccine as soon as the dr tells me I can come out of quarantine!!

Joanie

Just got my shingles shot a couple of weeks ago, Dr. insisted. So I think your right Joanie, it must be going arouind. Hope you feel better soon.

Sail,

I hope you enjoy experimenting with the taco chicken. If you feel like the taco seasoning is missing something, you might try adding some fajita seasoning or better yet some liquid fajita marinade. Enjoy! m--

Hey, I was right. There is a first time for everything:D;). It was nice of you to remember to check. I "think" Sail might be on her cruise right now so hopefully someone will remember to bump up this thread. I hope you had a good cruise.

I did, thanks Lori. Loved the Zaandam. My favourite class ship. So much closet & drawer space. Didn't use it all. You would have loved the Captain - Andre van Schoonhoven. He was a no nonsense man - gave everyone HELL during the safety drill in Seward. He said in all the years he'd been master of a ship, he'd never heard so much yapping during boat drill. This is not a Royal Caribbean ship!!! Stop talking & listen.:D:D

I did, thanks Lori. Loved the Zaandam. My favourite class ship. So much closet & drawer space. Didn't use it all. You would have loved the Captain - Andre van Schoonhoven. He was a no nonsense man - gave everyone HELL during the safety drill in Seward. He said in all the years he'd been master of a ship, he'd never heard so much yapping during boat drill. This is not a Royal Caribbean ship!!! Stop talking & listen.:D:D

Good to hear that he said something. Glad your cruise went well.

Good for that captain!!

• 4 weeks later...

I made a variation of this chicken tonight. I added a small amount of tomato sauce and less than a packet of seasoning because I don't like things too spicy. Very easy to make and it was a delicious meal.

Thanks, Carol.

I'm going to go look for the recipe and post it in this thread as well as the other.

Happy you had a nice meal from it. I enjoy a bit of that late afternoon when I'm looking for a small snack. Lean, low fat, low calorie and tasty. Win-Win! :)

Here is the Recipe:

Mexican Chicken with Pimentos

2.25 (apprx) lbs chicken breast cut in fine julienne

scant 1 ounce lime jiuice

2 tsp cilantro chopped

2 tsp chili powder

1/3 c julienne red bell pepper

1/3 c julienne green bell pepper

1/3 c julienne onion

2 1/2 tsp minced garlic

jalapeno chopped (to taste)

1 tomato deseeded and diced

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp oregano

3/4 cup marinara sauce

In a bowl, mix oregano, salt *, cayenne, cumin, oregano, chili powder, lime juice

Season chicken w/ spice and allow to marinate 12 hours.

In skillet, heat olive oil, cook chicken until evenly browned and remove.

Add bell peppers, onion, tomatoes and garlic to pan. Cook 5 minutes

Season with spice mix. Spread over chicken and drizzle marinara sauce.

Sprinkle w/ chopped cilantro and serve.

*no amount for salt was given. salt to taste

** All measurements were given in grams and mililiters and I roughly converted to ounces/teaspoons. Use the seasonings to your taste or in the alternative, pre-packaged Taco Seasoning Mix should work fine rather than measuring all these individual spices. I have a package handy and it is 1.25 oz. That should be adequate for 2 + pounds of chicken breast.

Archived