Sensation, Fascination or Imagination

ladyjane

I'm looking at taking my mom (71 years young) and my 2 daughters (27 & 22) on a cruise this fall. We are looking to do a shorter cruise and I'm down to the Sensation, Fascination or Imagination. What are the pros and cons of each based on: 1) my 27 year old uses a wheelchair for distance so how easy is each ship to get around and we've never been to the Bahamas and I'm not sure about these ports. Thanks!

I'm looking at taking my mom (71 years young) and my 2 daughters (27 & 22) on a cruise this fall. We are looking to do a shorter cruise and I'm down to the Sensation, Fascination or Imagination. What are the pros and cons of each based on: 1) my 27 year old uses a wheelchair for distance so how easy is each ship to get around and we've never been to the Bahamas and I'm not sure about these ports. Thanks!

With the exception of a few color scheme changes and that Imagination (I believe) did not get the new balcony additions the three ships are sisters (all Fantasy class) and essentially identical, especially in the "easy to get a round" department. What it boils down to is where you want to sail from. I've been on Sensation a number of times and love sailing from Port Canaveral. Jacksonville (Fascination) isn't too bad - Fascination is the only ship to sail from there. Imagination is out of Miami and it would take a free cruise to get me to go to Miami but that's just me.

The only comment I would make is that my last cruise on Fascination, the food in the Lido cafe was way below Par. Don't know if that was the ship or just Carnival trending downward in the food department.

Hope this helps.

Ed

With the exception of a few color scheme changes and that Imagination (I believe) did not get the new balcony additions the three ships are sisters (all Fantasy class) and essentially identical, especially in the "easy to get a round" department. What it boils down to is where you want to sail from. I've been on Sensation a number of times and love sailing from Port Canaveral. Jacksonville (Fascination) isn't too bad - Fascination is the only ship to sail from there. Imagination is out of Miami and it would take a free cruise to get me to go to Miami but that's just me.

The only comment I would make is that my last cruise on Fascination, the food in the Lido cafe was way below Par. Don't know if that was the ship or just Carnival trending downward in the food department.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Hey Ed......I have to agree with you about the food in the buffet.....but I do think Carnival is trending down in the food department because we had the same complaint with the buffet food on the Dream.

BUT we have already taken two trips on the Facination this year and thoroughly enjoyed them both. The food in the Dining room was pretty good so we ate there for breakfast and lunch too if it was open.

My choice would be as follows:

1st IMAGINATION

2nd FASCINATION

3rd SENSATION

I would select the 4 night itinerary on the Imagination visiting Key West and Cozumel (both great ports). Also, sailing from Miami is much more memorable than Port Canaveral or Jacksonville, and the Imagination is IMHO, the nicer of the 3 (even though it doesn't have the standard balcony staterooms).

the Sensation is the ugliest and tackiest of all 3 ships, and its route sucks (Nassau and Freeport).

If sailing on the Fascination, I'd pick the itinerary that includes Half Moon Cay or Key West. Freeport is awful.

They are all the same -- so pick based on your favorite itin!

Hey Ed......I have to agree with you about the food in the buffet.....but I do think Carnival is trending down in the food department because we had the same complaint with the buffet food on the Dream.

BUT we have already taken two trips on the Facination this year and thoroughly enjoyed them both. The food in the Dining room was pretty good so we ate there for breakfast and lunch too if it was open.

Dianne,

Yes, the MDR food was fine, probably should have done that more. And you're right, the rest of the cruise was great. The buffet food was our only real complaint.

Ed

I've done the Sensation-cruises are too short. Love the Fascination, haven't done the Inspiration. Layout on all are pretty much the same, as they are the Fatnasy class. Where do you live? I live outside Atlanta, and Jacksonville is a one day trip to get there. Miami would be two LONG days, Port Canaveral either one LONG day or two good days. If you have a long way to go, then I would choose the longer 5 day cruise.

Archived