Upgrading after boarding in alaska

auburn77

We have an Alaska land/sea package through a travel company. We originally opted for an oceanview and wanted to change to a balcony. They (the company) only had a certain number reserved and they are gone. Hal says we have to wait until boarding to upgrade even though there are balconies still available (which I still don't understand).

Has anyone done this, and, what are the odds?

We have an Alaska land/sea package through a travel company. We originally opted for an oceanview and wanted to change to a balcony. They (the company) only had a certain number reserved and they are gone. Hal says we have to wait until boarding to upgrade even though there are balconies still available (which I still don't understand).

HAL holds back a certain No. of staterooms for Psgrs which are also on their land tours & you qualify since you are doing a HAL land tour ..

Sounds like you have been talking to a telephone sales agent rather than someone in charge..I would call your travel company & ask to speak to a Supervisor or a Manager...

Tell them that HAL still has balcony's avail...If you know what the numbers of the balcony's are, that's even better..Ask the Supvr/Mgr to push HAL to open one up for you..You probably will have to pay full price for it..I would think that your travel company would welcome another Balcony booking as it increases their commission..

Don't wait until you board, as they tend to fill up quickly..

Just a note, if you don't succeed, we were booked in an oceanview in Alaska & spent our days out on the Promenade deck deck..IMO being out on deck especially for glacier viewing is much more preferable than having a balcony..They open the front deck for glacier viewing & it is awesome..

Good luck & please let us know how you make out..

Cheers...Betty

I have asked many times NEVER HAPPEN ...

I have asked many times NEVER HAPPEN ...

I'm totally confused :confused:so would like you to explain' date=' What do you mean by NEVER HAPPEN?[/size']

A) Did you call your TA & try to get a balcony on a full ship? or

B) Did you book thru a tour operator who's balcony alotment was full? or

C) Did you try for an upgrade which is different from an up sell, once you boarded? or

D) Did you call the tour operator with avail cabin No's & ask him/her to get HAL to release from inventory one of those open cabins, which you were willing to pay for & also qualify for when doing a HAL land tour?

Thanks...:)Betty

I think every cruise I've taken, even ones where I knew the ship wasn't full, had the little signs out at check-in saying "As the ship is sailing full, we are sorry that we cannot make changes in accommodation." or something like that.

I agree wtih the posters who advise to try to work out the upgrade now. it's very unlikely to get one on board.

I appreciate all the answers, but the land tour is not through HAL. I called HAL and they said I can't upgrade until embarkation because I have to go through my tour operator until that time. I'll be satisfied with an oceanview if I can't upgrade. That's about $1,300 I can spend elsewhere.

I appreciate all the answers, but the land tour is not through HAL. I called HAL and they said I can't upgrade until embarkation because I have to go through my tour operator until that time. I'll be satisfied with an oceanview if I can't upgrade. That's about $1,300 I can spend elsewhere.

Auburn we also did an Alaskan land tour through a well known National Tour Operator...This tour Operator like many of them do, purchase HAL 's Land Tours in Alaska..

When we arrived in Anchorage, we were met by a Group leader who was an employee of the tour Operator...He stayed with us the whole way but we were on a HAL bus with a HAL Driver/Guide for the entire tour..All of the Tour Operators brochures never mentioned that we would actually be on a HAL bus with a HAL driver/guide..We too thought it was an independently operated tour..

We were on the same HAL bus up to Fairbanks, with several stops in between..When we took the train from Denali back to Anchorage we were in the HAL Railroad Car..Our HAL bus & driver/guide met us in Anchorage to take us to the Hotel..He gave us a tour of Anchorage & when we were to board our cruise, he took us on the HAL bus to Seward..We even stayed in some of HAL's owned & operated Hotels..BTW he was one of the best tour drive/guides we' ever had anywhere..

It doesn't help to call HAL as they are not able to do anything for you when you book through a Tour Operator or an Agent..

Still suggest you call your Tour Operator & ask for a Supvr or Mgr..Give the Mgr the cabin No's which are still available & ask them to push HAL to release one of them for you..

It doesn't hurt to try..But if it doesn't work, I'm sure you will still be happy with your OV..

Good luck..

Cheers...Betty

Auburn - If I'm seeing this correctly, per your signature, you're sailing on Volendam next month. On this ship, an upsell from an OV to "balcony" cabin actually means to a suite, as only HAL's Vista & Signature class ships truly have verandah or balcony category cabins.

The husband & I have been fortunate enough to always book a balcony-category on those larger ships, but have only had OV on the S- & R-class ships. In Alaska 3 years ago on Ryndam, the window was just fine, as we were on Lower Prom, which is the same as the teak wrap-around deck. Out the cabin door & just another step to the outside - it was perfect! This year we return to Alaska on Amsterdam, also in an OV cabin. (I can't remember where the cabin is :o)

When scenic cruising about the glaciers, the stewards bring hot pea soup, hot beverages & open the bar service out on the bow of the ship. You won't get that on a balcony! :D And since everything in AK is much more expensive than everywhere else, you can use your saved $$ on a fabulous excursion - maybe flightseeing or something equally as exotic.

Have a fantastic cruise! :)

I'm totally confused :confused:so would like you to explain, What do you mean by NEVER HAPPEN?

A) Did you call your TA & try to get a balcony on a full ship? or

B) Did you book thru a tour operator who's balcony alotment was full? or

C) Did you try for an upgrade which is different from an up sell, once you boarded? or

D) Did you call the tour operator with avail cabin No's & ask him/her to get HAL to release from inventory one of those open cabins, which you were willing to pay for & also qualify for when doing a HAL land tour?

Thanks...:)Betty

I think the poster meant upgrading once on board doesn't happen. I have not read about it happening and the offers were that an upgrade would be at the full brochure price and thus very expensive. there are no bargains when upgrading boarding.

Archived