OK to Fly in to Galveston on the Same Day as Your Cruise?

Smokeyham

Princess has posted a notice about their sailings out of Galveston which specifically states that you can "Enjoy the beauty of the Western Caribbean and the convenience of Galveston, where you can fly in and sail out the same day!" http://content.princess.com/princess/?jnFQ.yfpDGjw98zwX7yupoQnli24icQhj

Since they are so specifically stating this, I'm wondering how others feel, or whether it is still a good idea to fly in the day before?

In another thread a poster mentioned the possibility of fog in January, and I know from experience in the San Francisco Bay Area that fog can certainly delay flights.

So, would you still fly in the day before?

Thanks....

Galveston does not have an airport. You have to fly into to Houston which has two airports. The closest airport to the port is at least 45 minutes away so you have to think of traffic too.

Galveston does not have an airport. You have to fly into to Houston which has two airports. The closest airport to the port is at least 45 minutes away so you have to think of traffic too.

Thanks for that info. I think I'd be concerned about flight and traffic delays, and not sure I want to risk flying in on the same day.

I'm wondering why Princess is so specifically stating that you can do this. Is this a way to entice people with the idea that you don't have the additional costs of a night-before-sailing hotel room?

Traffic isn't an issue unless there is a circumstantial wreck! And if your in early which you have to be, that can problem solved any way. Lots of different ways to Galveston.

Thanks for that info. I think I'd be concerned about flight and traffic delays, and not sure I want to risk flying in on the same day.

I'm wondering why Princess is so specifically stating that you can do this. Is this a way to entice people with the idea that you don't have the additional costs of a night-before-sailing hotel room?

Flight is out of your control. Traffic you can solve! Make your plans and enjoy your cruise.

Always buy insurance . Anything could happen.

Princess has posted a notice about their sailings out of Galveston which specifically states that you can "Enjoy the beauty of the Western Caribbean and the convenience of Galveston, where you can fly in and sail out the same day!" http://content.princess.com/princess/?jnFQ.yfpDGjw98zwX7yupoQnli24icQhj

Since they are so specifically stating this, I'm wondering how others feel, or whether it is still a good idea to fly in the day before?

In another thread a poster mentioned the possibility of fog in January, and I know from experience in the San Francisco Bay Area that fog can certainly delay flights.

So, would you still fly in the day before?

Thanks....[/q

I live in TX and drive to Galveston, but I still come in a day early. It means less stress and who wants to spend a vacation stressed!

There are those that will tell you not to worry. What you are reading is advertising. I've spent most of my life in the area and I would never come in the day I was cruising. Flight delays, Houston traffic and fog. Why bother, come in a day early and relax. It's easy for those of us that aren't cruising on your trip to say do this or that, we are not the ones that are going to miss the ship. I wouldn't take the chance.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

It's absolutely easy enough to make it to fly into Houston and get to the Port of Galveston on the same day, BUT, we ALWAYS fly in the day before a cruise. I've had way too many flight delays to add that worry to a trip.

What ever your comfort zone is,

just do it!

Heck!!!!

Come in two days early

and enjoy Galveston.

It's a wonderful place to visit

with many many varied attractions.

I would recommend flying the day before if your schedule and finances permit. I would not want to be overly stressed on the day that I am supposed to depart for my cruise. Of course, it would be more expensive to fly in the day before because you will have to get a hotel room. However, I think the piece of mind afforded by flying in the day before would outweigh the savings flying in the same day.

we have done both...as in flown in the day of the cruise, and flown in before a day or two....

Flying in to HOU or IAH the morning of the cruise should not be a problem.

I do like the insurance of flying in the day before just in case something goes wrong. We will usually stay at some random cheap motel along the way the night before.

So bottom line is I prefer to fly in a day or two early, but sometimes there are great airfare deals to be had to fly in the morning of....and that allows me more $'s to spend on the ship providing I make it to she ship. :o

OP, you are in California, so right off the bat you lose 2 hours going from Pacific time to Central time. You'd have to catch a very early flight if you left on Sunday. And then you might be too tired to really enjoy day 1 of your cruise. Remember, you must be checking in at the ship 90 minutes before scheduled departure time. Also, don't schedule too early a return flight. I'd say 2pm or later to avoid any stress, even it this means sitting at the airport for a couple of hours.

OP, you are in California, so right off the bat you lose 2 hours going from Pacific time to Central time. You'd have to catch a very early flight if you left on Sunday. And then you might be too tired to really enjoy day 1 of your cruise. Remember, you must be checking in at the ship 90 minutes before scheduled departure time. Also, don't schedule too early a return flight. I'd say 2pm or later to avoid any stress, even it this means sitting at the airport for a couple of hours.

Thanks .... I am still mystified as to why Princess is emphasizing that you can fly in on the same day. Does not seem like good advice to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks .... I am still mystified as to why Princess is emphasizing that you can fly in on the same day. Does not seem like good advice to me.

It's a not so subtle sales promotion for Princess' eZAir.

Archived