Add a PAX, charged "going rate"?

agc291

I just spoke to Carnival regarding a price drop. We booked PG with one person in the room for now, planning to add a second person once we had paid enough for the 2nd deposit. When I asked her the process she said to just call back when we were ready to add them but the second person would get charged the "going rate" for the room?

Is this correct? I was under the impression that the point of booking with one persons deposit was to hold the rate of the room. Adding a PAX just gets charged the 2nd persons taxes.

I know talking to people at carnival, ill get 50 different answers. Can you guys fill me in on your experiences?:confused::confused:

You are initially booking the reservation for one person at the current rate. Anybody you add to the room will always be at the current rate on the date of booking for that passenger.

hmm that is not how it has worked for me in the past. I have just gotten charged the 2nd persons taxes and port fees..:confused:

How does this work?

We are set at $798 for pax 1 right now. If we book and the second pax is at $900 do they just split the $798 & the $900 in half and add them together to get the rate?

jrmende- That is def how I have seen it work on here. It makes NO sense to do it the other way. I guess I will just wait to we are ready to book and report back!

hmm that is not how it has worked for me in the past. I have just gotten charged the 2nd persons taxes and port fees..:confused:

I suppose I could be wrong, but I thought the policy was to book at the current rate, whatever it is, to prevent people from booking a room with one passenger via Early Saver, then adding somebody else later (to avoid the $50 name change fee).

Wait for a reply from Firefly. She'll probably know for certain.

I suppose I could be wrong, but I thought the policy was to book at the current rate, whatever it is, to prevent people from booking a room with one passenger via Early Saver, then adding somebody else later (to avoid the $50 name change fee).

You can do can do that with Early Saver. If you book solo you are already paying 200%. If you add a person to the booking they only have to pay the govt fees and taxes. I have done this a couple of times.

Wait for a reply from Firefly. She'll probably know for certain.

It could be just the way the person did it too...I know you will get 50 different answers from 50 different phone calls to Carnival. I can only vouch for my own experience.

You can do can do that with Early Saver. If you book solo you are already paying 200%. If you add a person to the booking they only have to pay the govt fees and taxes. I have done this a couple of times.

This is the way it works.

We do this all the time--- because coming up with 500 deposit sometimes is hard.

We book one passenger at the 200% adding the next person will be less then 100 more.

we just did that with my dads cabin-- booked him as a solo-- ES rate over a year in advance and added my son 2 weeks before sailing. Total rate to add him was 87.00

This was just done by my daughter for our Alaska cruise in August. She booked with just herself several months ago. The rate was $799 and she was charged the 200% supplement and paid a $350 deposit. The tax at the time of booking was $107. She just added her husband today and paid the cruise off. She was able to keep the $799 cruise rate for both of them but was charged the new tax rate for the both of them of $150. I was surprised that her tax rate was changed to reflect the higher amount.

Does anyone know why the tax rate goes up? The same thing happened to me when I applied for a price drop of $100pp but did not get the amount thing because our tax rate jumped from $107 to $150. Thats like a 40% increase in tax.

100% correct. My cabin mate, who booked months after I did, paid almost $300 more than I did as I booked early saver but that rate was gone and the rates had gone up.

ouch, you should have questioned that. As mentioned many of us have done it successfully, even when the price when up.

Did they atleast adjust your rate?

100% correct. My cabin mate, who booked months after I did, paid almost $300 more than I did as I booked early saver but that rate was gone and the rates had gone up.

ouch, you should have questioned that. As mentioned many of us have done it successfully, even when the price when up.

Did they atleast adjust your rate?

I booked PG rate, not ES. I think I am correct in thinking I will just be charged the additional taxes& fee. If someone at Carnival tells me I need to pay an additional amount due to the price going up I will just keep calling :p

Thanks for the replies looks like I will just wait & see.

two different cabins?

two different cabins?

No. Cabinmate.

My situation was different though. I had booked 18 months out using early saver. A few months later I added a friend, also under early saver. That friend had to cancel due to unexpected divorce. Three months before sailing, I added a different friend but her fare was higher than mine since early saver rates had ended months earlier.

No. Cabinmate.

My situation was different though. I had booked 18 months out using early saver. A few months later I added a friend, also under early saver. That friend had to cancel due to unexpected divorce. Three months before sailing, I added a different friend but her fare was higher than mine since early saver rates had ended months earlier.

ahh, early saver rate states no changes or pay huge penalties.. which will be that 300.00

In March of this year I and my 4yr old were added into a cabin that my brother had booked over a year earlier at ES rates (luckily he was in a 3 person cabin). We were added 4 days before sailing.

The boat was totally full (all cabins) so I don't know if there is still a going rate at that point or not, but the only additional charge for me (2nd person) was port fees/taxes. My son was charged the 3rd person rate + taxes.

Booking for one isn't booking for one. A cabin is always a rate X2! If another is added, the new one pays just taxes and port fees. How you retrieve that second passenger's fare is up to you. Either way, the rate for passenger 2 is the same as passenger one, you can't pay a per person rate and hold a room for one without paying twice.

Booking for one isn't booking for one. A cabin is always a rate X2! If another is added, the new one pays just taxes and port fees. How you retrieve that second passenger's fare is up to you. Either way, the rate for passenger 2 is the same as passenger one, you can't pay a per person rate and hold a room for one without paying twice.

Exactly. I booked a PT cabin for my Jan. cruise for just myself. (My friends are sailing with me, but they don't want to share. :rolleyes:) I told my PVP that yet another girlfriend of mine might be interested in joining me as well, but I'm not sure if she wants to share a cabin or do solo as well.

The PVP said since I'm paying for 2 already, so if my friend does decide to go, all she'll have to pay is the port fees and taxes (and gratuities.)

Port fees are embedded in the cruise fare, so the new person wouldnt have to pay those again. Just the govt fees and taxes.

How the new pax decided to reimburse the first pax isnt really and issue for the OP.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone for people in the future who have this question.

We paid the second deposit today online, called carnival and add the 2nd passenger to our room. We were not charged anything more except the taxes for the 2nd guest.

Anyone who tells you that the 2nd passenger must pay the going rate when adding them is incorrect.

This is what my PVP said also...both times I asked... just to be sure!!!. Just the taxes and fees

Archived