Venice private boat tours ?

pkamison

IMHO Venice's greatest magic is to walk around the narrow bridge and backstreet as well as the grand canal and St. Marks. If you have the $ a gondola ride rounds things out. A good tour book, podcast I think is better than a private company.

Most ships that dock overnight offer shuttles to central venice. If you are embarking or disembarking a private water taxi is also a neat experience, but pricey.

Any company you can recommend ? If you were on a cruise did they pick you up at your ship ? Thank you

Oh, I so agree with Chipmaster. If you do want to see Venice from the Grand Canal, take the vaporetto (water bus).

If you want to see the back canals, take a gondola ride which will be about 80 euros for up to 6 people (way cheaper than the typical $110 or more per person the ship excursion charges).

I would recommend you do not take a gondola near Piazza San Marco but rather near one of the bridges (Rialto perhaps) or back streets. Pick one you like, they are like taxis cabs, some are nicer than others and you find one that is clean and looks nice.

thanks for the thoughts - we are looking for an easy way to get around as too much walking/waiting for water taxis may present a problem. I kind of expect that a private tour will be costly but I may not have a choice. Any ideas ?

thanks for the thoughts - we are looking for an easy way to get around as too much walking/waiting for water taxis may present a problem. I kind of expect that a private tour will be costly but I may not have a choice. Any ideas ?

I think you may be confusing water taxis (boat equivalents of land taxis and expensive) with the vaporetti previously mentioned, which are public water buses and run frequently. I've never heard of anyone doing Venice by taking a private boat tour and I can't really see the advantage. The vaporetti run regularly and you're still going to have to get off your private boat and walk if you want to visit any of the sites.

Archived