Hydrofoil to Capri

Mary Ann 2

About 5 years ago when we went to Naples, we just walked across the dock to the hydrofoil ferries and got tickets to Capri. Were warned here to be sure to get return tickets to get back and not wait until later in the day. It was all great advice and we had a wonderful day.

Any new advice about going to Capri DYI? Heading there in a few weeks and planning to do it again, but want to be sure nothing has changed. Printed hydrofoil schedule already...anything else?

we got off the ship and walked onto a ferry boarding next to the ship that was just leaving...

took the fast ferry back from Capril and it docked a few miles from the ship...no cabs and out of the line of sight so was a little worrying.

no big deal just be aware there are 2 ferry/hydrofoil docks

we got off the ship and walked onto a ferry boarding next to the ship that was just leaving...

took the fast ferry back from Capril and it docked a few miles from the ship...no cabs and out of the line of sight so was a little worrying.

No cabs...so how did you get to the ship

There are two, but they are only 6/10ths of a mile apart. I'm sure it seems like a lot more when you're not sure where you are, or where you are headed. The second one is called Calata Porta di Massa, the one right next to the cruise port is Molo Beverello.

You simply made a common mistake. Jetboats/hydrofoils returning to Naples either go to "Molo Beverello" (the port next to the cruise ships) or Mergellina (on the other side of Naples more then a mile from the ships). It is simply a matter of buying a ticket (in Capri) for the proper destination. As to the OPs question, nothing has really changed regarding the boats. The cost is still around 17 Euros (one-way) and it's very wise to buy your return ticket as soon as you arrive on Capri and check the schedules. Also keep in mind that there are 2 or 3 different companies operating these boats and the tickets are not exchangable between the companies.

Hank

Sorry, I hadn't even considered Mergellina as there are only a very few (maybe four) ferries all day long from Capri to Mergellina. If you walk along the coast it is a little over two miles back to Molo Angioino, the cruise port.

It is a good "heads-up" to remind folks to check which dock in Naples, as there are many ferries that go to Calata Porta di Massa. Most, however, do go to Beverello so you shouldn't have a problem. It's good to know how close Porta di Massa is, just in case you wait until the last minute and then can't get one to Beverello.

I don't know of one web site that lists them all, if you want the full list you need to look them up individually. For Capri, the capri.net web site lists most, but not all. Here are the companies that service each of the Naples ferry ports:

Dal Beverello:

Caremar (tel 081/5513882)

Alilauro (081/5513236-5071345)

N.L.G (081/5520763)

Linee Marittime Partenopee (tel 081/8073024)

SNAV (081/4285555)

Ustica Lines 081/5800340

Da Mergellina:

Alilauro (081/7611004)

Snav (081/4285555)

Linee Marittime Salernitane

Ustica Lines (0841/5800340)

Da Calata Porta Massa:

MEDMAR (081/5513352)

Caremar (tel 081/5513882)

N.L.G (081/5520763)

Am I understanding correctly that it is not possible to buy a round trip ticket for the hydrofoil?

I don't think you can buy a round-trip ticket 'as such', no. You might be able to buy your return ticket at the same time as you buy your outbound ticket, and from the same ticket booth, but I've never done that.

Here's a link to blog entry I did in 2009 about a day on Capri: it has some content about using the hydrofoils, and about getting around on Capri. Here's another one showing the layout of the Port of Naples, and the position of the main cruise terminal relative to the hydrofoil dock.

(Apologies to the regulars who have seen these links before...)

I think the issue with purchasing both outbound and return tickets at the same time is that you may not get the best return time. Each ticket office only sells their company's tickets, so you'd be limited to the return times for that particular company. You pick the company you go out with based on who has the next boat when you happen to walk up to Molo Beverello.

It is correct, single tickets only, but when you get to Capri, it is important to get your tickets for the trip back.

You will also need tickets for the funicular and the buses. 1 ticket per person per leg of the journey.

Archived