4th of July

lrowe70

This thread reminds me of a few years ago when I took my wife and daughters on the 13 night cruisetour of Alaska on Celebrity Summit.

When my wife realized we would be on the trip over July 4...in Fairbanks, Alaska no less, she asked me if they would have Fireworks for us...

I responded that I was fairly certain they would not...

She asked how I could be so sure...

Well you realize that, on July 4 in Fairbankls, Alaska, they have NO night...Midsummer just below the Arctic Circle, the sun merely dips slightly below the horizon for a moment, then rises again...4:00 in the morning looks about the same as 4:00 in the afternoon--makes Fireworks a bit impossible...

We often cruise on the Fourth of July because it fits in with my wife's school district calendar...and I have never seen them make a big deal of it...

We were in the Baltic Sea on Eclipse for Canada Day (July 1) last year, and they did put on a Canada Day party. There was a barbecue pool side, hats, flag, and lots of fun and laughter. We even let non-Canadians attend!:D. I'm sure they'll do something special for Independence Day, too.

Thanks for the replies,

Yes I guess we'll be on board for Canada Day as well...in fact possibly sailing by Canada.

We're in Skagway, AK on the 4th and are hoping they do something to honor the holiday.

We're from Alaska and always celebrate, including fireworks, even with the lighter sky. Even Fairbanks does fireworks, Bruin Steve were you able to watch them?

Thanks for the replies,

We're from Alaska and always celebrate, including fireworks, even with the lighter sky. Even Fairbanks does fireworks, Bruin Steve were you able to watch them?

I live in Fairbanks, and while Fairbanks does a spectacular, professionally produced fireworks display on New Year's Eve, there are no organized fireworks displays on July 4th. While a few individuals might set off a few firecrackers on July 4th, we are often so dry that it has never seemed a good idea to me -- too easy to start a forest fire.

But to return to the OP's question regarding the celebration of national holidays on a cruise ship, while we have never been on a ship on July 4th we have been on two cruises on the American Thanksgiving Day holiday. On each of those cruises, while there were some elements of a traditional Thanksgiving Day dinner, the meals were not a traditional Thanksgiving Day meal as an American would understand the concept.

I live in Fairbanks, and while Fairbanks does a spectacular, professionally produced fireworks display on New Year's Eve, there are no organized fireworks displays on July 4th. While a few individuals might set off a few firecrackers on July 4th, we are often so dry that it has never seemed a good idea to me -- too easy to start a forest fire.

I guarantee there were NO fireworks in Fairbanks when we were there...

This should explain it:

http://dec.alaska.gov/air/am/2005_wf_sum.htm

While fireworks are spectacular, they are expensive and can be very dangerous (even when done by professionals). In Australia they have been banned except for the professionals. I seem to think that they may be something that will gradually pass as councils/governments budgets get tighter.:D

Archived