Has anyone done this in Montego Bay?

piratefan86

Hello! My DH and I will be on the Valor is just a few weeks and could not be more excited! One of our stops is Montego Bay, Jamaica. We enjoy getting off the boat and exploring the different ports, but we aren't crazy about any of the excursions offered through Carnival for Montego Bay, so we decided to find something to do on our own. We came across this pass at Sunset Beach Resort & Spa: http://www.jamaicaforaday.com/Sunset_Montego_Bay_Resort.html

Has anyone heard of this place or been here before? Thanks!

Yes I tried this resort a few years ago. They have great pool area and the beach is pretty good also. The food and drinks are included and are pretty tasty. It is a good place to relax on the beach.

Hello! My DH and I will be on the Valor is just a few weeks and could not be more excited! One of our stops is Montego Bay, Jamaica. We enjoy getting off the boat and exploring the different ports, but we aren't crazy about any of the excursions offered through Carnival for Montego Bay, so we decided to find something to do on our own. We came across this pass at Sunset Beach Resort & Spa: http://www.jamaicaforaday.com/Sunset_Montego_Bay_Resort.html

IMO...No...I have not heard of it (but that doesn't mean anything).

Try posting this on the Jamaican Ports of Call. Maybe you will have better luck over there. Have a great cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

We love Montego Bay! Have been there twice - first time did the Freestyle Catamaran which we arranged for on our own - sailing, snorkling, swimming, rum punch - one of our favorite excursions to date. In fact, second time I went was with my sister and we had made arrangements to do the Freestyle Cat again only the wind was up and none of the catamarans were sailing. We talked to the Captain, who remembered me from a couple months earlier, and we 'hired' the deck hand to take us around town. Drove us around and showed us where the locals worked, ate and swam. We went to a straw market of sorts, local jerk eatery, then to a local beach and swam. It was just amazing! Everyone was so kind. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. I had heard so many 'horror' stories of Jamaica and that just was not our experience. I am aware of my surroundings no matter where I travel, so we felt safe. I am sorry I cannot tell you specifically about the excursion you asked about, but I did want to tell you to 'go for it with an open mind' and you might just find the jewel we did.

We went last August. It's the opposite direction from town so you won't see much on the way there. I think it was $20 for a taxi for 5 of us. Check in was slow but the place is kept very clean and the booze flows and the food was so-so. The beach doesn't offer much for snorkeling, they have beach toys, not sure of charges for them. No high pressure sales from locals, they had some games and music going on in one of the pools.

It was worth it but this August we are headed into town to the Pork Pit and Scotchies for some jerk chicken and probably hit a beach in town.

It has been a few years, but my husband and I went there for the day when we were on the Conquest back in April 2007. We thought it was a great way to spend the day in Jamaica. My husband had been there before and did not care for Montego Bay itself, so he was happy to just spend the day at the beach. Sunset Beach was clean and not too crowded. Good drinks and food was okay. But the food was definately sufficient for a snack or something until we got back on the ship! It is also pretty close to where the ship docks. 5 minutes or so by cab if memory serves me right!

If you are looking for a low key day at the beach this is a great choice.

We were there in Nov. when we sailed on the Freedom. It is a wonderful place to spend the day. The place is beautiful...pools and beaches. You get all you want to eat and drink. The serve was great. We loved it

I was just there in January. didn't care for the beach too much. the ground was just really slimy under the water. Not sure if it was my point of entry or if there would have been a better place to get in the water.

the pool itself was great and the booze did flow freely. I didn't get a chance to check out the lazy river, so I don't know how it was. I have a little bit of my thoughts on it in my review of the Conquest in my signature. I may have a few pics as well. From what I recall, the food wasn't that great. It was buffet style and nothing to write home about.

It was an ok way to spend a lazy day. I probably wouldn't do it again unless I was with people who wanted to lay around and drink. There is plenty of that. :o

We went last August. It's the opposite direction from town so you won't see much on the way there. I think it was $20 for a taxi for 5 of us. Check in was slow but the place is kept very clean and the booze flows and the food was so-so. The beach doesn't offer much for snorkeling, they have beach toys, not sure of charges for them. No high pressure sales from locals, they had some games and music going on in one of the pools.

It was worth it but this August we are headed into town to the Pork Pit and Scotchies for some jerk chicken and probably hit a beach in town.

The Pork Pit is great.....definitely a must!

So happy to see some feedback on this place as we have been thinking of booking this for our upcoming cruise on the Conquest in August.

Keep them coming! There is nothing better than first hand word of mouth insight :)

I went there years ago and thought it was pretty good. It was being renovated then and the price was cheaper, but still probably a good deal.

Took a taxi there and walked back to the ship - the only people who said anything to me were taxi drivers trying to pick up a fare. I kept telling them to sail on.

The jerk chicken and hamburgers I thought were great and my drinks certainly weren't watered down.

I had my own snorkel gear and thought the snorkeling was pretty good, but you had to figure out where to go.

Pictures here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/conquest_07/mobay/sbr.htm

Took a taxi there and walked back to the ship - the only people who said anything to me were taxi drivers trying to pick up a fare. I kept telling them to sail on.

How long did it take you to walk back to the ship? And you felt like you were in a safe area during the walk? Thanks for the pictures!

We were on the Conquest last month and we did Jamaica for the Day at the Hilton Rose Hall Resort. It was awesome. I'm pretty sure we were at Montego Bay. We paid an exta $15 pp for the ride over and back in a nice air conditioned bus. The resort was clean, they had 2 pools, one of which had a lazy river and the food was decent. The best part was the drinks. They didn't skimp on the booze and I think we got our $$ worth :D!!

How long did it take you to walk back to the ship? And you felt like you were in a safe area during the walk? Thanks for the pictures!

I don't remember how long - could probably figure out from the picture data. 10 minutes? 20 minutes? Not too far. You can easily see the resort from the cruise ship but unless you can walk on water, need to take a little longer route to get there.

I felt perfectly safe - it isn't a tourist area so nobody is hanging out trying to sell you anything. It is in the opposite direction from where most tourists go.

You're welcome!

we went in December 2012.

drinks are very weak...resort is old and run down. 3 star if you are lucky.

water was way to rough to swim so we headed for pools.

ok but the kids one was a mess (glad kids weren't there). water slide hurt the tooshie.

not to return for us...:(

Archived