Princess 2009 vs 2012?

PictureChris

Last cruised on Princess (Star) in 2009. If I were to go on today (any ship), what changes would I notice for the better or worse?

I remember the food being consistently good on both the buffet and in the dining rooms.

The Pizza was the best of any cruise line.

The entertainment was top notch. Production shows were great.

I remember Princess as being classy but not snobby.

We were on the Star to Alaska in 2009 and the Golden (also Alaska) in 2010 and 2011, and I have noticed very little difference from year to year. Pizza is still great. Menus in the dining rooms are the same, and quality is about the same. Service seems the same. I've been happy enough with our cruises that I'm about to book again for this summer!:D

We were on the Star to Alaska in 2009 and the Golden (also Alaska) in 2010 and 2011, and I have noticed very little difference from year to year. Pizza is still great. Menus in the dining rooms are the same, and quality is about the same. Service seems the same. I've been happy enough with our cruises that I'm about to book again for this summer!:D

Thanks for the response!

Here are your questions with our answers to follow.

Last cruised on Princess (Star) in 2009. If I were to go on today (any ship), what changes would I notice for the better or worse?

We have taken 5 cruises over the past 5 years and have not noticed any appreciable change in the quality of the Princess cruises.

I remember the food being consistently good on both the buffet and in the dining rooms.

We think it has remained constant and enjoyable.

The Pizza was the best of any cruise line.

Haven't had pizza on any other cruise line, but thought it was good.

The quality of the entertainers remains very good, but length of the production shows has been cut down to 30 to 35 minutes.

I remember Princess as being classy but not snobby

We don't feel this has changed.

Others may disagree, but we have been satisfied with our Princess experience and keep coming back. The only thing that we feel has dropped in the last five years are the prices. :D

There is a good chance you would see the same Production shows.

The quality of the entertainers remains very good, but length of the production shows has been cut down to 30 to 35 minutes.

So far the reduced show time has been limited to one or two of the ships. Hopefully, it will be seen as a failed experiment and not spread throughout the fleet.

There are some somewhat subtle changes. (Of course, when the changes are announced and implemented, some folks act as if the sky is falling, but soon thereafter, the fury subsides.:))

Coffee Card: If you have an old coffee card with one or more punches left, you can still use it to get brewed coffee and coffee based drinks, but every drink will cost you a punch, even a basic cup of brewed coffee. Gone are the days when a card with a single punch left would entitle you to free brewed coffee ad infinitum. A newly purchased card will entitle you to that perk (pardon the pun), but for that cruise only. Once the cruise is over, that card transitions into an "old" card whereby every drink will cost you a punch.

MDRs will be closed on port days for lunch, with minor exceptions. Buffet, burgers, pizza and International Cafe are all open for service, but the MDRs are closed for lunch.

From an atmospherics standpoint, the vast majority of what you recall of Princess has been preserved.

Darn on the coffee card thing, lol. I have one from 2009 with no punches on it. At least I will be able to get x number of fresh brewed coffees.

Do they still have the "Pub Lunch"? As I recall it was Fish n Chips and a few other choices.

Do they still have the "Pub Lunch"? As I recall it was Fish n Chips and a few other choices.

Yes. On sea days. We had two such days, and the options were (iirc):

First Sea Day:

Fish and Chips

Prawns and Chips

Chicken Curry

Second Sea Day

Fish and Chips

Bangers and Mash

Ploughman's Lunch

The first sea day was far better than the second.

We have been doing two cruises per year once in a while three. There perhaps have been small changes which I rarely notice unless pointed out to me.

However let me address the Princess Theatre and the length of the shows. If the shows have been reduced in time, and I am not doubting my fellow posters, I have not noticed that and I would think I should have.:confused:

Also fish and chips pub lunch had them on the Golden to Hawaii, very good.

We haven't sailed in several years as well and were always satisfied with Princess in the past...food quality was never an issue...but now we're hearing rather negative reviews from cruisers returning from the Star and are having serious second thoughts on whether to cruise on her this fall or not.

Is anyone else seeing dramatic cutbacks across the Princess fleet...? :confused:

We haven't sailed in several years as well and were always satisfied with Princess in the past...food quality was never an issue...but now we're hearing rather negative reviews from cruisers returning from the Star and are having serious second thoughts on whether to cruise on her this fall or not.

Is anyone else seeing dramatic cutbacks across the Princess fleet...? :confused:

The food has been fine on all our cruises.

Our first Princess cruise was in 2008 (Golden) and we just got off another a few days ago (Sapphire). I found the quality of the buffet had declined and was not happy with the majority of the foods served in the dining rooms. The Trident grill was better than last time though, so we enjoyed that a lot.

You may find that Buffet hours are different.

In 09, I think you could still get limited items 24 hours, now its closed midnight - 6.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. We were on one of the last sailing on the Golden that had 24 hour buffet... and boy were my sons grateful! They were often there at 2-3 AM! Personally, I've never been to the buffet after midnight, so will probably not notice the change.

Is the IC now open 24 hours to make up for the buffet being closed? Or is room service the only late night option now?

However let me address the Princess Theatre and the length of the shows. If the shows have been reduced in time, and I am not doubting my fellow posters, I have not noticed that and I would think I should have.:confused:

Then you have not sailed on the Emerald Princess lately.

Not only did the Princess Theater shows get reduced to 30 minutes, there is now no 45-minute entertainer show in Explorer's Lounge, so the nightly entertainment on that ship has gone from 90 minutes to 30 minutes.

Darn on the coffee card thing, lol. I have one from 2009 with no punches on it. At least I will be able to get x number of fresh brewed coffees.

If it has no punches, you may be able to trade it in for a new card on your next cruise. Then the new card will be good for unlimited fresh brewed on that cruise and the punches good then and on subsequent cruises.

If the coffee bar says no, check with the Purser's desk.

I remember the food being consistently good on both the buffet and in the dining rooms. Response: We've found the food in the buffet for dinner to have improved during that time, with more choices from the Main Dining room menu and some better presentation (e.g. pre-prepared salads on some ships) .

The Pizza was the best of any cruise line. Love their pizza!

Our last cruise in April on Emerald Princess still had great entertainment. Experiments with shorter shows may have occured since.

I remember Princess as being classy but not snobby. Absolutely

My responses are inline with your original message.

Then you have not sailed on the Emerald Princess lately.

Not only did the Princess Theater shows get reduced to 30 minutes, there is now no 45-minute entertainer show in Explorer's Lounge, so the nightly entertainment on that ship has gone from 90 minutes to 30 minutes.

You are absolutely correct I have not sailed on the Emerald nor will I ever go on it. Well don't think I would, should never say never. But I have been on those over crowded tubs and unless one was only half full then I might.:eek:

I found that the buffet was still good if you got there early in the meal, but it went downhill the longer it sat. Not trading up for fresh as often is one way to save money. I found the MDR food was very good.

Archived