WiFi on the ships

mbrcoupe

My wife and I are going on our second cruise in August on HAL Veedam does anyone know if there is WiFi signals in the rooms or just around the computer area?

We had decent reception from our stateroom on the Veendam...horrible reception from our stateroom on the Maasdam in January...so, it just depends on how close your stateroom is to the signal. The WiFi on the ship is "slow as cold molasses" as my mother would have said! I chewed up $100 in very short order.

The WiFi at the Bermuda Library is great...there are lovely bistro tables and chairs outside under the trees...a very nice setting in which to read your emails! I honestly can't recall if we needed a password. There's also reception at a cafe on the other side of the post office.

If you go out to the Dockyard by ferry, be prepared to pay. It's $3 for a card that can be used for an hour.

I just want to add that contrary to the info given directly by HAL, we absolutely did have wi-fi in our cabin on Ryndam last October, and we used it all the time. It depends on how close your cabin is to a repeater, as far as I know.

Right -- when I have taken my laptop -- I was able to use it in our cabins on the Maasdam and Ryndam. Never had a problem.

I recently received this response for HAL regarding WIFI onboard...

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding on board Internet services on our Holland America Line ships. We are pleased to offer the following information outlined below.

Each Holland America Line ship offers high speed Internet access in the on board Internet Café. The Internet Café is open 24 hours throughout the cruise, and also features Wireless Internet service. The Internet Cafe computer terminals give desktop access to the Internet, AOL Chat, Yahoo Chat, Cruise email, and Real One Player. Multiple windows and applications can be opened and used at one time.

Pricing below is subject to change without prior notice. Please inquire on board in the Internet Café for current prices.

One time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

Basic time charge $0.75 per minute, pay as you go, or purchase a Discounted Time Plan.

250 minutes for $100.00, $0.40 per minute.

100 minutes for $55.00, $0.55 per minute.

Time Plan minutes can be used anytime throughout the cruise, and can be shared with fellow travelers.

Cruise email service is offered as a convenience should passengers not have their own email address or be unable to access their own email domain. This application is just like any other email domain and can be used the same way. Every passenger is given a Cruise email account that will be activated as the café opens for each new cruise. There is an additional cost of $3.95 to send Cruise email, in addition to the basic time charges. There is no additional charge, only time charges apply, to receive any incoming cruise email messages.

Printing is available at $0.50 per page.

Guests may use their laptop computer to connect to the wireless internet service on board. Each Holland America Line vessel offers Wireless Internet service throughout the ship. Use your own laptop or rent one from the Internet Café, limited supply of laptops and wireless card available for rent on board. Wireless cards must support the 802.11b wireless protocol.

iPhones and most other wireless enabled devices (iPod Touch, RIM Blackberry Bold, laptop) will work with the Wi-Fi on board the ships. There is no need to attach a wireless card since those devices already have the wireless element built in.

Please note that while mobile wireless devices can be used on the vessels, a number of applications are not supported (e.g., Java). Once a user switches on their phone, a login screen will appear and the user will be required to login to use the wireless onboard. The guest should be able to set up their account for billing for the minutes they use directly online using their own device. Once logged on, they can begin emailing or surfing the web. If the user needs to know if they have wireless capabilities on their phone then they can check in their applications or go to settings and a wireless icon or name will be supplied. If they have any difficulties, they should see the Internet Café Manager on board.

Wireless service is available in most public lounges around the ship. Service is not available in guest staterooms.

250 minutes for $100.00, $0.40 per minute.

100 minutes for $55.00, $0.55 per minute.

33 minutes for $25.00, $0.75 per minute.

Laptop Rental $20 per day, optional insurance $10 per day.

Wireless Card Rental $10 per day, optional insurance $5 per day.

Wireless access point locations on board the ships are as follows.

Ryndam explorations café, Atrium area decks 6, 7, 8, Vermeer Lounge, Lido Deck Pool.

Holland America Line's Vista Class ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam, offer in cabin dial up internet access for those guests traveling with their own laptop computer. Connection is by phone cord at 56K modem dial-up speed. Phone cords and additional software, if needed, are available on board the ship. Dial up internet access is $0.50 per minute, flat rate charge. Time plans or advertised internet café specials do not apply to in cabin dial up service.

Please note that internet café and wireless time plans are not interchangeable between systems. Wireless time plans cannot be used on internet café terminals and internet café time plans cannot be used on the wireless system.

Printing certainly has doubled in price. It used to be 25 cents a page.

It has been awhile since I printed anything out.

What is the price for printing out airline boarding passe?

Right -- when I have taken my laptop -- I was able to use it in our cabins on the Maasdam and Ryndam. Never had a problem.

I sometimes have to leave our cabin door open to get a good signal. Sometimes not. On Eurodam, I always had to open the door but the same cabin on Nieuw Amsterdam, right across from Neptune Lounge, I could leave the door closed. Go figure.

Maasdam I almost always have to open the door. No big deal.

Sometimes I just go into Neptune and sit at that little table just inside the door. Very convenient.

We'll be paying double for the printing. DH often has to print some pages while we are aboard and 50 cents per page will add up. I think that could be a Four Star Mariner Benefit. ;) Some discount on printing. :D

Archived