The Venice Excursion

I think that of the excursions I'm going on this one - to Murano&Burano- is the one I'm most hesitant about. Why? well I understand Venice is one big tourist rip off on prices.

The shore visit is 7 hours so I will, inevitably, at some point require at least a snack [ T2D does that ] Can anyone give advice on typical costs of coffee's and snacks, where there may be reasonably priced outlets but, most of all,where to avoid and how much should I take ashore to be safe? £50, £100? any advice please?

While in Venice we just had a good breakfast on the ship and then bought soft drinks and something to eat at a street stall when we felt peckish. The ship will also sell you a going ashore pack at the gangway consisting of water and Pringles if you want. The ship sailed quite early at 5pm so it wasn't too much of a hardship. From what I have read about Venice excursions to the islands you don't get all that much free time ashore anyway. We are going back to Venice for a day from Lake Garda next month and will probably just get a waterbus out to Burano as that is the most picturesque island. Murano is glassworks and the prices there are even higher than Venice itself apparently.

From what I have read, bar and restaurant prices in Venice can vary considerably depending where you choose. Advertised coffee prices we saw did not appear to be too high but I think that was for a small cup and you can also get hit with a cover charge. Pizza is quite cheap if that's what you like.

Hi Keith

We did the same excursion on the Emerald back in 2004. When in Venice stay clear of the restaurants and bars on St Marks Square as you will pay extortionate prices. They charge for the ambience apparently. We went to some of the small back streets and found a nice pizza restaurant just along from MacDonalds:eek: which was quite reasonable.

Janet

We were the same - we DIY'd using the Vaporettos (easy if you look up all the information beforehand) then we could go back to the ship whenever we wanted; not tied to Thomson time then. We just had a big breakfast before leaving the ship and found a cafe in the back streets where we bought a reasonable-priced coffee & soft drinks. We didn't sit down though - that's more expensive; just took them away!! We had a great day around Venice and were ready to go back mid-afternoon as it was quite tiring being "on the go" all the time! It was lovely to hop on and off the Vaporettos and try not to miss a trip up the Grand Canal - well worth doing; you can do this by Vaporetto.

I'm sure it won't happen to you but the day we were in Venice last week it rained all day!:( Luckily we watched the forecast before we went and took Kagouls, Thomson made a fortune out of ponchos that day. The people who booked the full day trip ended up trudging around in the rain all day, but we just got the waterbus in so could come back when we had enough. We ended up walking back to the boat as we were halfway back before we knew it.

I'm sure it won't happen to you but the day we were in Venice last week it rained all day!:( Luckily we watched the forecast before we went and took Kagouls, Thomson made a fortune out of ponchos that day. The people who booked the full day trip ended up trudging around in the rain all day, but we just got the waterbus in so could come back when we had enough. We ended up walking back to the boat as we were halfway back before we knew it.

Our friends went in August & the same happened to them - I would never dream you would get that sort of weather in August - they had to paddle their way round Venice!

We were in venice for 3 nights mid april, was nice during the day but rained 2 evenings, we stayed nr the entance to the grand canal, some good shops and reasonably priced places to eat there

Archived