Holland America Shore Excursion Question - Nafplion

BlackJack2

In Nafplion, Greece – Any opinions on the HAL “Ancient Corinth & Mycenae” Shore Excursion? Trying to decide between this tour or “Mycenae & Palamidi Castle”, or “Mycenae & Epidaurus”. I am leaning towards the “Ancient Corinth & Mycenae” excursion. Wondering if I will have enough time to go to Palamidi Castle when the tour returns?

I have been in contact with a private tour operator that will show you all of those places in one tour. I think you can do better than HAL but if you decide to go with them, i have heard that Corinth is a must see.

Chris

I have been in contact with a private tour operator that will show you all of those places in one tour. I think you can do better than HAL but if you decide to go with them, i have heard that Corinth is a must see.

Chris

Hi Chris - I believe that we are on the same cruise. Let me know what you find out about tours in this area. Thanks!

We did a land trip to the Pelopenese Peninsula. We did a day trip to Corinth, Mykines (Mycenae), and Nafplion. Depending on how long you stay at each stop, it could end up taking quite a bit of time. I think I'd play it safe with a ship's tour, but that's just my preference to not take any risks.

Just to wander around Nafplion, probably no tour, but to go further afield, definitely would do the ship's tour to Mykines and Corinth. Both sites are awesome!

We are currently just finishing up a self drive in Greece, the first 10 days of which was the Peloponnese peninsula. We spent 3 nights of this trip in old town Nafplion which is absolutely gorgeous currently draped in flowering bougainvalea. Epidavrous is a very intact amphitheatre about 45 minutes north east of Nafplion. Mycennae is about 45 minutes west of Nafplion and the Corinth canal and ruins would be another 45 minutes or so from Mycennae. The Palamidi fortress directly above the Nafplion old town overlooking the harbour covers most of the hilltop and has stunning views. my opinion would be to allow for self exploration of the old town Nafplion which is right at the harbour. I would also suggest to get a cab to take you up to the fortress and then arrange for a return pickup unless you want to climb the 1000 steps up and then down from old town. You may want to look at some video on YouTube before deciding to go to either Mycennae, Corinth or Epidavrous to help you decide if you want to go further afield. Mycennae is mostly rubble on a hill. epidavrus is a lovely amphitheatre but that is the only thing there. We didn't stop at the ruins in Corinth but did stop to view the canal. Was interesting but in my opinion not worth going out of your way to see.

Archived