Mendalhall glacier float/rafting with children question

lettcco

Hello,

Would like anyone who have done this to weight in...I am considering doing this with my whole family, the description says there is no age limit but the life-jackets only fits >40lb. My son who is 5 years old is about 35 lb.

so how strict are they about the weight? Do they actually weight you?

Does the life-jackets has adjustable straps? If I bundled my son up more he would probably fits.

From everything I read the ride seems to be very safe, so I wonder why is there an emphasis on the weight limit. For those who have experienced it, would you say the ride is rough? Did it generate enough bouncing motion that one might bounce off the raft?

Thanks for the input.

I can't believe that with one keystroke I just deleted my 3 paragraph answer--GRRRR!!!

So here's a shorter answer:

Coast Guard regulations and Alaska state law require that children wear life jackets, and I believe both stipulate that they be the correct size. Someone more familiar with the regulations can chime in here. So if a tour operator broke that regulation/law, they would face fines or possibly worse...more difficult to renew license perhaps? I don't know.

Normally the river is pretty tame, but sometimes it's in flood stage, and the ride would be thrilling. It's easy for a young child to be bounced out of a raft, depending on where they are sitting and the activity level in the raft. I have seen children fall off an anchored boat in still water when they were just sitting on it.

Due to the frequency of drownings in our state, many of which were avoidable, many popular launch sites offer lifejackets (esp. for children) on an honor basis. Perhaps a Juneau resident will know if that is the case there. Even if that is the case, though, you couldn't count on the correct size being there when you need it.

And now I'll post this and just edit it later, so that I don't accidentally delete it again.

I have done this tour, and in my opinion, it is a poor choice. Kids will be put "inside" and not allowed on the sides, front or back, so essentially "safe".

At the cost, it isn't even so so at best. Pretty tame, float, looking at back yards. IF you just want to get in a raft, this will fit the bill, if looking for anything else, keep looking, my opinion only.

I googled mendenhall glacier float & found a couple of outfitters. They do say no age restrictions, only the 40# weight limit

Many years ago I did a bit of whitewater rafting (& life-guarding). The website does say there are Class II & Class III rapids (the highest is Class VI). Do you have any idea what this means? I would suggest looking at a photo website like flickr & searching for "class II rapids" & "class III rapids." Would you be comfortable taking your 5-year-old down a 6-mile river, not a theme park ride, in those conditions?

Here's a link to a pic of just a class II. How well does he swim? If he fell out when the raft bumped up on this, & his PFD was a tad loose, could he keep his head above water? Could he swim to the side? Would he keep his wits together enough to stay feet-first thru the rapids sequence until someone could help him back into the boat?

This is class II rapids.

Mytime says the river could be like this in flood stage. BudgetQueen basically says it's a snore. You won't know until you actually get there.

In highwater conditions, everyone gets wet. Not having rafted in AK, I'm not sure what kind of "bundling" you want to put on your son, but wet clothes next to the body only keep it cold. And a little body even colder. The CG & state regs are there for HIS protection. Mom & Dad fudging his weight a bit does him no good if he falls out & the PFD doesn't fit properly.

My suggestion is to use the contact page on the website of the outfitter you're considering & email or call them directly.

I was trying to find this article when I first posted, but couldn't. Now tried a different combo of search terms, and voila...an accident from 3 summers ago! http://juneauempire.com/stories/081809/reg_482966714.shtml

This is rare, of course, and I'm not trying to scare anyone away from the excursion. But if you haven't rafted a lot (I have), you just don't realize what can happen. And things can happen in calm water because people do have a tendency to get complacent.

Here's the CC thread about the incident at the time: http://juneauempire.com/stories/081809/reg_482966714.shtml

Hello,

Would like anyone who have done this to weight in...I am considering doing this with my whole family, the description says there is no age limit but the life-jackets only fits >40lb. My son who is 5 years old is about 35 lb.

Does the life-jackets has adjustable straps? If I bundled my son up more he would probably fits.

From everything I read the ride seems to be very safe, so I wonder why is there an emphasis on the weight limit. For those who have experienced it, would you say the ride is rough? Did it generate enough bouncing motion that one might bounce off the raft?

Thanks for the input.

At 35#, he is about 15% under the specified weight. Most of these safety regs are there for a good reason.

Think about it.

DON

Here's my 2 cents. I was thrown from a raft in Colorado in Class IV rapids. Gotta say it was a thrilling ride but there were many moments when I was really scared I was going to die. :eek: It would be terrifying to watch your 5 year old fly out of the raft while you continued floating down the river and he's back there bobbing along. If the river is basically calm with only Class I and II, it's unlikely he'd get bounced out but why chance it? The water would be icy cold and he'd be scared to death. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but the mom in me wouldn't do it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Let me say first thing that I am in no way willing to risk my son's safety. I was even considering getting my son a personal life jackets if theirs wont fit. I am just a bit baffled by the language they use in the description (safe for all ages/at least 40lb...which one is it?) and was hoping to get someone's input who have experienced the tour.

In light of the news article that mytime53 provided I think I am going to pick something else for my family to enjoy the vacation and Mendalhall glacier.

Thanks again!

I'm sorry if I frightened you away from the float, as that was not my intent. We took our children on many raft trips at that age, most of them more intense than what the Mendenhall probably was even at flood stage. I just wanted to impress upon anyone considering using the incorrect size flotation device that you just can't predict what might happen. I myself have been saved by a life jacket, and I'm pretty sure one too large would have been ripped off of me.

I am also puzzled as to the excursion company's weight limit, as I didn't recall 40# being a cut-off in life jacket sizes. Three of our grandsons use the 30-50# size, with others being 50-90#. Try as hard as I could, I could only find one life jacket online that had 40# as a limit. Seems odd to me that a company would use a life jacket that limited their customer base.

Have a fun (and safe) time in Juneau!

Hello,

Thanks for the input.

OK , I did this tour and the most danger your son will face is boredom. I saw no weigh in station and doubt his 5 llbs. would make a differece. I've included a picture of the ride. It is pretty much a float ride with lots of views of peoples back yards. But Alaska is pretty , even looking at someone's back yard.

1184224796_alaska047.jpg.045da37aba05a96c9c4b4a3dcc76aaa1.jpg

Archived